Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My guess is the overall scheme is a drawback from globalization to a more protectionist model. "Protectionism"......Something Conservatives have opposed for decades. Whether the Democrats get on board or not remains to be seen.

But, I'm with you. It's wonderful to see these people keep their jobs, but I'm thinking it's unrealistic to expect this same scene to play out in thousands of locations across the country.

And, then there is the potential for trade war.
Assuming that Trump is a conservative is a mistake that I suspect even some Republicans might make. He's not. He's non-ideological when it comes to politics.

Whether this can be duplicated, I think it is highly dependent on the type of business and the labor skill set involved.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting on the details. There is no transparency with Trump.
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/...tate/94637112/

Whatever the terms of the deal turn out to be, they will be better than the bleak exodus of jobs that Indianapolis had spent months preparing for. And the deal fulfills one of Trump's most prominent pledges.

Also, there may have been a suggestion that the US Gov't would take some its business elsewhere:

Beyond potential tax breaks, Carrier would have had several motivations to reach a deal with the Trump administration, said Mohan Tatikonda, an operations management professor for the Indiana University Kelley School of Business.

For one, Carrier's parent company, Connecticut-based United Technologies Corp., is a large government contractor. About 10 percent of the company's $56 billion in annual revenue comes from the government, according to The New York Times. The company "would like to start off on the right foot" with a new presidential administration, Tatikonda said.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
That's my guess. There was some sort of payout to key people at Carrier and this is little more than a public relations stunt. I don't see him going around doing this at thousands of empty factories and mills all over the country.

But, that's exactly what a lot of people are now expecting.

We shall see.
Uh, not likely. Carrier and its parent United Technologies are publicly traded companies with reasonably good reputations, and with limited tolerance for ethical lapses among their executive teams.

More likely is that such "payout" would be in the form of corporate tax abatement or tax incentives. The loss of Carrier in Indianapolis was estimated to have an ANNUAL economic impact of $108 MM to the state of Indiana. Seems like some fraction of that $108MM would be a decent investment by the State in keeping jobs at home.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=whell;340360]http://www.indystar.com/story/money/...tate/94637112/

Whatever the terms of the deal turn out to be, they will be better than the bleak exodus of jobs that Indianapolis had spent months preparing for. And the deal fulfills one of Trump's most prominent pledges.

When ever a deal is made, there someone who bears the burden of the negative consequences. We know Trump will benefit. We just don't know who will be negatively impacted.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Uh, not likely. Carrier and its parent United Technologies are publicly traded companies with reasonably good reputations, and with limited tolerance for ethical lapses among their executive teams.

LMAO! Ethics? If they had any "ethics", the move never would have been announced in the first place. Ethics don't have a fucking thing to do with corporate deeds.

Ethics my ass. I think you got closer to the truth when you said, "...the US government would take it's business elsewhere.".

There's the arm twisting I was looking for.

Thanks.

Moreover, Where was this generous state tax break with Pence as governor? Or was that already in the works BEFORE Trump could grab credit? Why did they wait until after the election?

Public Relations stunt.

Thanks again.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-30-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=barbara;340366]
Quote:
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/...tate/94637112/

When ever a deal is made, there someone who bears the burden of the negative consequences. We know Trump will benefit. We just don't know who will be negatively impacted.
Yeah, all those folks who will keep their jobs are gonna get screwed.

...and a few years back when Obama was far more activist with GM than trump ever thought about being, the Democrats crowed about it. The taxpayer price tag for that was about $10 billion. But far be it from me to expect consistency from the left.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:36 AM
Area Man

[QUOTE=whell;340370]
Quote:

...and a few years back when Obama was far more activist with GM than trump ever thought about being, the Democrats crowed about it. The taxpayer price tag for that was about $10 billion. But far be it from me to expect consistency from the left.
Can he keep this game up, Mike?

Remember what you said about "Santa Claus politics".

There are MILLIONS who want their high paying union jobs back. Now more than ever, they are going to be peeking under the tree and waiting for Donnie Claus to bring the presents.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Admin

Maybe Trump will find a new use for coal? Most likely as stocking stuffers.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=whell;340370]
Quote:

We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

I saw an interview on the news this morning with an employee of the company.

He wasn't sure if he was going to be able to keep his job. He was hoping he had enough seniority that he wouldn't be one of the ones whose job was eliminated.

He also didn't know if he would keep all of his benefits.... Or maybe some of them.

While he expressed appreciation a deal was made, he still fears that the line worker will lose out.

Like I said..... We will have to see how it plays out. But, considering Trump's business history of making deals then leaving the other party to bear the burden of negative consequences.... I'm pretty sure we will see the same here.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:57 AM
Area Man

[QUOTE=barbara;340374]
Quote:

We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

I saw an interview on the news this morning with an employee of the company.

He wasn't sure if he was going to be able to keep his job. He was hoping he had enough seniority that he wouldn't be one of the ones whose job was eliminated.

He also didn't know if he would keep all of his benefits.... Or maybe some of them.

While he expressed appreciation a deal was made, he still fears that the line worker will lose out.

Like I said..... We will have to see how it plays out. But, considering Trump's business history of making deals then leaving the other party to bear the burden of negative consequences.... I'm pretty sure we will see the same here.
Exactly. What's the old adage? "A crappy job is better than no job.". That has been used time and again to push people down, work them harder for less.

More to come.