Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:28 AM
Mutated Member

Majjhimanikayo

"Die Reden des Buddha" (The speeches of Buddha); Volume 1

First complete translation into a Western language by Karl Eugen Neumann.

First Edition, 1896.

I love to read one of those speeches from time to time for more than 15 years.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:50 AM

I've been reading Kenneth Bae's account of his arrest, trial, and prison time in North Korea.

As a missionary.... His focus is religion and that is a big part of his story.

My interest is more about what happened to him and how he was treated and what led to his release.

However, It is hard to read his words about his God without making a comparison to the way North Koreans look to their leader.

In both cases, (God and the North Korean leader) followers worship and put their faith in the idea that their God/ leader will take care of them. In both cases hymns of praise are sung and strict rules guide the followers.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I've been reading Kenneth Bae's account of his arrest, trial, and prison time in North Korea.

As a missionary.... His focus is religion and that is a big part of his story.

My interest is more about what happened to him and how he was treated and what led to his release.

However, It is hard to read his words about his God without making a comparison to the way North Koreans look to their leader.

In both cases, (God and the North Korean leader) followers worship and put their faith in the idea that their God/ leader will take care of them. In both cases hymns of praise are sung and strict rules guide the followers.
And in both cases, they're wrong.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM

In my own opinion North Koreans are not worshipping Kim so much as allowing the system to continue because as awful as it is they are afraid of an alternative. Kim is but the tip of a spear of military and government elites that want the status quo to continue.
Behind Kim there are probably thousands of families and businesses tied to his dictatorship either through the army or whatever.

I saw on an Al Jazeera documentary how in Pyongyang there are nice buildings and people live in nice apartments and they were interviewing a North Korean family and the mother started crying when she spoke of the great leader. Then they showed a secretly taken video of a train station in a rural area and it was a very poor and desolate place and the people were dressed in old clothes and a few had some farm animals but it looked like a video from a developing nation. Totally the opposite from the choreographed and gleaming capitol. Of course there is famine in Korea.

So I don't think they really worship Kim. I think the regime keeps everyone in line by punishing those who disobey by either sending them to a concentration camp or throwing them out of the city. Who knows. The reason he killed his uncle from what I understand is that it was a dispute over the control of a certain business sector of the economy, like a gangland or mob turf war.

The concentration camps from what I have seen on 60 minutes are really awful places that you would never ever want to end up in...captive children being told to murder their own parents, stuff like that. That is probably how Kim and his followers keep the nation in line. You would probably cry at the monument of his father and grandfather also if you had such an alternative in the back of your mind.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
In my own opinion North Koreans are not worshipping Kim so much as allowing the system to continue because as awful as it is they are afraid of an alternative. Kim is but the tip of a spear of military and government elites that want the status quo to continue.

Behind Kim there are probably thousands of families and businesses tied to his dictatorship either through the army or whatever.

I saw on an Al Jazeera documentary how in Pyongyang there are nice buildings and people live in nice apartments and they were interviewing a North Korean family and the mother started crying when she spoke of the great leader. Then they showed a secretly taken video of a train station in a rural area and it was a very poor and desolate place and the people were dressed in old clothes and a few had some farm animals but it looked like a video from a developing nation. Totally the opposite from the choreographed and gleaming capitol. Of course there is famine in Korea.

So I don't think they really worship Kim. I think the regime keeps everyone in line by punishing those who disobey by either sending them to a concentration camp or throwing them out of the city. Who knows. The reason he killed his uncle from what I understand is that it was a dispute over the control of a certain business sector of the economy, like a gangland or mob turf war.

The concentration camps from what I have seen on 60 minutes are really awful places that you would never ever want to end up in...captive children being told to murder their own parents, stuff like that. That is probably how Kim and his followers keep the nation in line. You would probably cry at the monument of his father and grandfather also if you had such an alternative in the back of your mind.

I'm not so sure....... I just don't know enough yet to agree or disagree with you.

But, from what I've read.... The people, rich or poor, don't know any different (for the most part).

But, I will keep your words I mind as I continue to read and see where this knowledge takes me.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
And in both cases, they're wrong.

Agree........
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I'm not so sure....... I just don't know enough yet to agree or disagree with you.

But, from what I've read.... The people, rich or poor, don't know any different (for the most part).

But, I will keep your words I mind as I continue to read and see where this knowledge takes me.
Well I am not saying that there are not people who don't look at him as a God.

But there have been escapees who have told about the concentration camps.

There is a very big carrot and a very big stick behind the façade in my opinion.

I am a government employee. I do x-rays for the Navy. I imagine I have counterparts in North Korean who do the same thing. They probably work at the pleasure of the regime. Most likely if they just do their jobs and put on a show of loyalty to the regime they will shoot x-rays and be able to survive.
They are probably worried what would happen if Kim and the regime was overthrown...would they lose their jobs? And they are probably scared to death that if they oppose him or fall out of favor they could end up in concentration camp or dead. So the motivation for not getting out of line is probably pretty strong. Add to that the news blackouts and the constant propaganda that probably has had an effect.

I think those at the top like Kim know exactly what is going on.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Well I am not saying that there are not people who don't look at him as a God.

But there have been escapees who have told about the concentration camps.

There is a very big carrot and a very big stick behind the façade in my opinion.

I am a government employee. I do x-rays for the Navy. I imagine I have counterparts in North Korean who do the same thing. They probably work at the pleasure of the regime. Most likely if they just do their jobs and put on a show of loyalty to the regime they will shoot x-rays and be able to survive.

They are probably worried what would happen if Kim and the regime was overthrown...would they lose their jobs? And they are probably scared to death that if they oppose him or fall out of favor they could end up in concentration camp or dead. So the motivation for not getting out of line is probably pretty strong. Add to that the news blackouts and the constant propaganda that probably has had an effect.

I think those at the top like Kim know exactly what is going on.

I hear what you are saying and you make some good points.

I'm not too far into the book yet.... I'm sure I have much more to learn.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 AM

I dunno why anyone goes there, considering the obvious risk of failing to be adequately obsequious.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2016, 10:16 AM

Does look sort of dangerous fun if you go there on an authorized tour and do not break rules or be a missionary.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/north-k...it-north-korea