Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
We NEVER BROKE relations with Argentina, but Cuba is too evil to deal with? Get real.
Hell, we supported their right-wing purges of political opponents in the late '70's and early '80's.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Hell, we supported their right-wing purges of political opponents in the late '70's and early '80's.
Don't forget Chile. You know, that little kerfuffle with Allende and Pinochet.

John
Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Don't forget Chile. You know, that little kerfuffle with Allende and Pinochet.

John
We were more than happy to help purge commies from any corner of South or Central America.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
We were more than happy to help purge commies from any corner of South or Central America.
Not just commies but any sort of social reformer who wouldn't play ball with Kennecott Copper, United Fruit, ITT, etc.

John
Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 PM

How can having thousands of American tourists infecting the Island with thoughts of freedom of speech, free elections be a bad thing. Not like they will influence the tourists into coming home and becoming commies.

I always thought it was the upper crust of Cuban society, like the top 5 to 10% in wealth were the ones who fled to the USA. Because of their abusive practices and exploitation of the rest of society. A lesson the ones in this country may need look closer to.

Barney
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
We NEVER BROKE relations with Argentina, but Cuba is too evil to deal with? Get real.
Don't forget Vietnam.

We normalized with them way back in 1995.

20 years after this:

Old 12-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
How can having thousands of American tourists infecting the Island with thoughts of freedom of speech, free elections be a bad thing. Not like they will influence the tourists into coming home and becoming commies.

I always thought it was the upper crust of Cuban society, like the top 5 to 10% in wealth were the ones who fled to the USA. Because of their abusive practices and exploitation of the rest of society. A lesson the ones in this country may need look closer to.

Barney
Nail meet hammer. Closet Batista supporters are the ones screaming the loudest.

F*#k 'em. They've been the tail wagging the Republican dog for too long.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 AM

We lived in South Florida for over ten years in the 80's. The ordinary Cubans were some of the most decent hardworking people. I have always asked this question, why is communism good for China but not for Cuba.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

Barney

As to the Cuban elite of Miami, they were deposed by Castro's revolution and they want to be back running the show. Menendez, Rube and Cruze are screaming the loudest since they probably belong to this privileged group.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
We lived in South Florida for over ten years in the 80's. The ordinary Cubans were some of the most decent hardworking people. I have always asked this question, why is communism good for China but not for Cuba.

As to the Cuban elite of Miami, they were deposed by Castro's revolution and they want to be back running the show. Menendez, Rube and Cruze are screaming the loudest since they probably belong to this privileged group.
Because Nixon did China, and Obama did Cuba. They hate it because it is Obama. That, and Cuba has a Cold War connotation with America that China never could really match for some reason, even though the right-wing "We lost China (i.e. meaning the Democrats) propaganda was really entrenched.
If it was a GOP president doing this Rubio would be cart-wheeling and doing high-fives with Jeb Bush.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
No, not Rubio. He claims that his family are refugees from Castro's Cuba but he's lying. His Family left in 1956 while Batista was still very much in power and Castro was still hatching plots in Mexico.

Menendez is even farther removed from the revolution. His family emigrated to the US in 1953.

Cruz is by far the most interesting. His father was imprisoned and tortured by the Batista regime and fled Cuba in 1957. As was the case with Rubio's family, this was several years before the revolution.

These guys are all poseurs who are trying to curry favor with the generation of Cuban Americans who actually did flee Castro. The trouble is, they're dying off...... and their kids don't see things the same way. They want normalized relations with Cuba so that they can freely visit and investigate their heritage.

Oh, and they're Obama voters too.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 12-20-2014 at 01:05 PM.