Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Koch Bros connected money laundering in anti-30 Campaign

Film at 11.

Actually, this is a story that is unfolding so no Benghazi premature jumping to conclusions please.

Quote:
The Fair Political Practices Commission said in a release this morning that Americans for Responsible Leadership "sent a letter declaring itself to be the intermediary and not the true source of the contribution."

"Under California law, the failure to disclose this initially was campaign money laundering," FPPC wrote. "At $11 million, this is the largest contribution ever disclosed as campaign money laundering in California history."

Americans for Responsible Leadership donated last month toward a business committee opposing Brown's tax initiative, Proposition 30, and supporting a measure restricting union dues collection, Proposition 32. ARL attorneys argued that the FPPC was targeting the group because it opposed the governor's initiative.

Matt Ross, spokesman for Americans for Responsible Leadership, said in a prepared statement, "After late night discussions, Americans for Responsible Leadership and the FPPC reached a settlement. The Commission has received specific documents it requested."

Attorney General Kamala Harris said by phone this morning that her office must still review whether there are any civil or criminal violations related to money laundering, though it is not pursuing any as of yet. Harris' office has represented the FPPC in its suit against Americans for Responsible Leadership.

"Whether it's the Koch brothers or Karl Rove, this was a brazen attempt to launder money through out-of-state shell organizations, and for the sole purpose of hiding it from the voters in California," Harris said.

Brown, who has kept up constant criticism of the Arizona donation for weeks, is campaigning for his initiative throughout the state today. Ace Smith, whose company, SCN Strategies, is running Brown's campaign, said on Twitter that the FPPC had unraveled a "truly evil money laundering scheme.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...#storylink=cpy

http://humboldtherald.wordpress.com/...i-30-campaign/

Carl
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Admin

I'm prescient! I had a call from some idjit touting 32 and I called him a Kochsucker and hung up.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Ah yes, their anti-union, pro-PAC proposition.

No Koch, Pepsi.
Go back to Kansas.

Carl
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM

I'm sure there's nothing to this. It's just your typical left wing faux outrage. The left wing media will probably have a field day with this but I'll bet Fox News and Drudge and Breitbart will ignore it for the cheap political stunt it is.

John
Old 11-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I'm sure there's nothing to this. It's just your typical left wing faux outrage. The left wing media will probably have a field day with this but I'll bet Fox News and Drudge and Breitbart will ignore it for the cheap political stunt it is.

John
You been butt chuggin' tea with TD? Joking of course!

Last edited by bobabode; 11-05-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM

This is one of the reasons rich people are such a problem. If they could keep their money inside their country clubs and wristwatch collections and sor forth then hardly anyone would bother them.

But when they go crazy and start buying governments then it's time to pull on their choke chains.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Huffington Post put a big article up, good stuff here. Real good stuff.

Quote:
The $11 million donation was the largest single donation in California this election cycle and immediately drew the ire of Democratic politicians. Leaders on the left have spent much of the past year pushing Proposition 30, a ballot measure backed by California Governor Jerry Brown that temporarily raises sales taxes and top marginal tax rates to avoid drastic cuts to the state's public education system.

"Someone's been using a phony non-profit in Arizona to funnel money from unnamed donors into our state," wrote Brown in a particularly passionate fundraising letter sent out last week. "Let's not let Arizona bandits steal our democracy."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2078917.html

Carl