Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Ron Paul gives me the impression that he is another Ayn Rand believer. IMHO anyone over the age of 13 who believes that crap is not to be trusted with anything sharper than a crayon, never mind the government.
He gets blamed for being an Ayn Rand believer, but as far as I can tell he is not.

I can see where your perspective might come from, though. A good number of Tea Partiers were turned onto Ayn Rand around 2010 and supported Ron Paul. But, as is hinted at in the the OP letter, the greedy Tea Party faction is now following Mitt Romney and the Ron Paul faction considers them a problem.

Here is a fundamental difference between Ron Paul's policy positions and Ayn Rand's.

Ron Paul is for small federal government.
Ayn Rand is for almost no government at state and federal levels.

The difference in net effect between the two is drastic. Ron Paul's position allows federal government to regulate interstate commerce and international trade as provided in the Constitution.

Ayn Ran Rand's position of no government is a euphemism for anarchy. In fact in scholarly circles the system is called anarcho-capitalism. The net effect of Ayn Rand's system is that is allows unlimited associations between persons, aka corporations, and champions monopolies and price fixing in favor of the so-called job creators.

Ayn Rand is for the blue bloods only.

Ayn Rand called Ron Paul's types "despicable".

On YouTube there is a funny video of a guy that catches up to Ron Paul and asks him what he thinks of Ayn Rand. Ron Paul simply smiles and replies that she has some interesting ideas. Interesting in that context is the same as interesting in the context of a real estate advertisement, such as polka dot painted walls.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Loyal Opposition

For many of us who grew up during the civil rights movement, "states' rights" was a euphemism for segregation. Without federal regulation in the form of the civil rights laws, labor laws, environmental regulation, and other federal commercial standards, we might see some states operating as third world countries. We would also see states competing to create the lowest common denominator in terms of "business friendly" environments - i.e. those with little or no taxation or regulation.

One thing that I heard Ron Paul say that I found quite appealing, however, is his suggestions of greater anti-trust enforcement. Unless steps are taken to break down the power of huge conglomerates, some of which seem to have become states unto themselves, smaller government is not feasible.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

IMHO, his policy positions are no more important than those of Pee Wee Herman. They're both equally electable in a Presidential race.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
IMHO, his policy positions are no more important than those of Pee Wee Herman. They're both equally electable in a Presidential race.
OK. That's the second time you've said Ron Paul is funny looking and it took you three posts to say it. Your credibility is going downhill in my book.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
IMHO, his policy positions are no more important than those of Dennis Kucinich. They're both equally electable in a Presidential race.
Fixed now.

John
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
For many of us who grew up during the civil rights movement, "states' rights" was a euphemism for segregation. Without federal regulation in the form of the civil rights laws, labor laws, environmental regulation, and other federal commercial standards, we might see some states operating as third world countries. We would also see states competing to create the lowest common denominator in terms of "business friendly" environments - i.e. those with little or no taxation or regulation.

One thing that I heard Ron Paul say that I found quite appealing, however, is his suggestions of greater anti-trust enforcement. Unless steps are taken to break down the power of huge conglomerates, some of which seem to have become states unto themselves, smaller government is not feasible.

Regards,

D-Ray
D-Ray,

Thank you for those lucid thoughts.

There is hope.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
OK. That's the second time you've said Ron Paul is funny looking and it took you three posts to say it. Your credibility is going downhill in my book.
What is untrue about my assertion?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
What is untrue about my assertion?
I agreed it was true the first time it took you two posts to say it. What's your ego problem?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Resident octogenarian

So if you like him so much, vote for him.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So if you like him so much, vote for him.
I was hoping we could discuss the policy positions, not the candidate. Unfortunately it appears that most of us are incapable of separating the two.