Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I responded directly to your points, and suggested that they were not supported. Rather than providing support, you decry unfairness. You suggest some sort of conspiracy to censor Fox, but don't provide any evidence of that occurring.

By the way, the corporate media marches in lock step with the interests of the corporate media.

As far as credibility - You suggest that Joe Biden called tea party members terrorists. He did not. He suggested that negotiating with the tea party wing of the GOP was like negotiating with terrorists. That is called an analogy. The tea party folks in congress didn't care if they brought economic collapse, which made it hard to negotiate reasonably with them. Terrorists are ready to blow everybody up, which makes it hard to negotiate with them. The situations are comparable even if the actors are not. That context should temper your accusation - does it?

Let me be as clear as possible about my reference to trolling. I did, by the way, cite a reference to support my definition of trolling - participation in on-line discussions primarily with a purpose to provoke an emotional response. I referred to your own words in which you indicated that you would insult the President in order to piss off another poster. In other words, you stated that you would post insults in order to invite an emotional response.

Look at your language in the instant post. You use all sorts of invective, such as referring to a figure as ultra racist. You bring up the right wing's favorite whipping boys, ACORN and Rev. Wright. The tone and language of the post are clearly designed to provoke an emotional response. That would lead me to conclude that you are more interested in obtaining an emotional response than in promoting a discussion.

Now, I have given you a direct explanation of why I described your online conduct as trolling. I invite you to provide a reasoned and measured response that would demonstrate why I might have mis-perceived your words or motivation. If you choose to play the victim, that is your prerogative. It will not serve to enhance your credibility.

Regards,

D-Ray
Ray,

I just have to really scratch my head on this one....

Here something: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/60421.html Again, not an "approved" source. Biden on the Tea Party: "They have acted like terrorists." WOW! Please do disregard that Joe Biden quote, because those who act like terrorists, ARE terrorists.

I love what you said about "playing the victim". I guess, when you say something about glaring hypocrisy and question fairness, you have to be the victim and your credibility is immediately nonexistent; you are labeled a troll if you have the audacity to defend yourself. All political discussions are emotional. Unless you are from the planet Vulcan on Star Trek, where they have non-emotional political debates, between human being it is impossible. How else do you think politicians (and preachers) work crowds into a frenzy? They play on their emotions.

As you have hinted at, I only have a very small intellect... could you then please, as you have admitted that Biden's comments exist, and I provided a source (although one from an reliable source as it doesn't conform to ideological lines)... explain how According to Biden, Tea Party members are not terrorists?

Here is Congressman Welsh giving a response to Joe Biden calling the Tea Party "terrorists"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJVZpWZzqhk Is he an idiot too? Perhaps, he misunderstood Joe Biden as well. Perhaps, he is even more stupid than I am. I wonder, what happened to credibility. As this honorable member of Congress, who also wasn't bright enough to understand what Joe Biden really meant... Credibility, credibility, it is a fickle concept and I wonder whose is suffering....

Last edited by Krazygrrl; 10-26-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Loyal Opposition

You have chosen not to respond, but to impute to me suggestions that I did not make. You may now rest assured that you will have no further opportunities to feel insulted by my responses.

Regards,

D
Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazygrrl View Post
... because those who act like terrorists, ARE terrorists.
This statement of yours can be understood to say "All similes are literally true." So, when Robert Burns said "My love is like a rose," did he actually mean that his love was a rose?

And yes, Biden is a knucklehead.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
You have chosen not to respond, but to impute to me suggestions that I did not make. You may now rest assured that you will have no further opportunities to feel insulted by my responses.

Regards,

D
Ray,

I have responded... If I upset you, I apologize because it was not my intention. All political discussions are emotional.

There are many ways Biden could have said what he did. Making a "terrorist" analogy, was the least accurate, most hateful, and most divisive way he could have stated his position. There are many, including Congressman Welsh, that were (and are) perturbed at Biden for this. It would have been so easy for Biden: "The Tea Party's arguments are ridged", or "The Tea Party is not willing to compromise", there are so many things he could have said other than calling this group of citizens "terrorists". Quite frankly, that is precisely what he did.

Biden, however, is not alone at in this. There are a good many elected officials, Democrats all, who have termed the Tea Party to be terrorists. One Congresswoman even publicly stated that the Tea Party was like Hamas and is terrorizing the American people. That too is an analogy; that too is calling these Americans: terrorists.

What I would like is a nice political debate. A debate in which various arguments are presented freely and fairly. I may not agree with you, I may even say that you (or others) are wrong and why I think they are, but I not source after source, and then dispute the relevance or reliability of the sources. Some sources are more reliable than others... Yet, none should be actively discounted. All responses in a political forum are designed to create an emotional response. They are, in a great many ways, a means of swaying support. That is the nature of political debate.

Last edited by Krazygrrl; 10-26-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Yep, KG. Biden should have said that the Tea Party were acting like extortionists - a much better and more accurate choice of words, IMHO.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazygrrl View Post
Ray,

I have responded... If I upset you, I apologize because it was not my intention. All political discussions are emotional.

There are many ways Biden could have said what he did. Making a "terrorist" analogy, was the least accurate, most hateful, and most divisive way he could have stated his position. There are many, including Congressman Welsh, that were (and are) perturbed at Biden for this. It would have been so easy for Biden: "The Tea Party's arguments are ridged", or "The Tea Party is not willing to compromise", there are so many things he could have said other than calling this group of citizens "terrorists". Quite frankly, that is precisely what he did.

Biden, however, is not alone at in this. There are a good many elected officials, Democrats all, who have termed the Tea Party to be terrorists. One Congresswoman even publicly stated that the Tea Party was like Hamas and is terrorizing the American people. That too is an analogy; that too is calling these Americans: terrorists.

What I would like is a nice political debate. A debate in which various arguments are presented freely and fairly. I may not agree with you, I may even say that you (or others) are wrong and why I think they are, but I not source after source, and then dispute the relevance or reliability of the sources. Some sources are more reliable than others... Yet, none should be actively discounted. All responses in a political forum are designed to create an emotional response. They are, in a great many ways, a means of swaying support. That is the nature of political debate.
Thank you for a reasonable post. I suppose that I have been less than clear. Biden was really the least of my concerns. I pointed out the misrepresentation of his statement as an example of hyperbole. No question Joe Biden says plenty of off-the-wall stuff, but to suggest that he actually called participants in the tea party movement terrorists is to take the statement completely out of context. Again that is the not the point.

I seriously disagree that political forums – and in particular, this forum, are designed to create emotional exchanges. Highly emotional responses are often an unfortunate by-product of discussions about deeply held political beliefs, but they are not the purpose of such discussions. In my view, posts in a political discussion should consist of reasoned positions based on at least somewhat verifiable facts. It is not reasonable to throw out rants known to be contrary to what others believe and expect others to take what is said as a matter of blind faith. That only invites a shouting match but no real exchange of ideas. All of us are guilty from time to time of throwing out our own political truisms without even considering the need to support them. Any of us who do can expect to be called on our suppositions.

Many of us are also prone to use whatever rhetorical tools we have in our quiver. We can also expect to be called on the propensity of using some such tools to mislead. Many of us here enjoy debating. Argument is part of debating. When I use the term argument, I mean application of reason and principles to facts, I don’t mean a backyard brawl. This might be trying to make too fine a distinction, but nevertheless, I see a difference between making an argument despite knowing that it might make someone angry, and making an argument designed to make someone angry.

Those are the standards to which I aspire. God knows that I frequently fail to meet them. I’m gonna end up pissing people off sometimes – I am one of those damn lawyers. But upsetting people is not my purpose for being here, and IMHO, that’s not the reason PC is here. I stand by my position that posting material designed only to provoke a negative response is trolling. I make this point prospectively only, and without the expectation that anyone needs to justify any conduct. PC is also clearly not designed to require everyone to justify himself/herself to others, and absolutely not to require anyone to justify himself/herself to D-Ray.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you for a reasonable post. I suppose that I have been less than clear. Biden was really the least of my concerns. I pointed out the misrepresentation of his statement as an example of hyperbole. No question Joe Biden says plenty of off-the-wall stuff, but to suggest that he actually called participants in the tea party movement terrorists is to take the statement completely out of context. Again that is the not the point.

I seriously disagree that political forums – and in particular, this forum, are designed to create emotional exchanges. Highly emotional responses are often an unfortunate by-product of discussions about deeply held political beliefs, but they are not the purpose of such discussions. In my view, posts in a political discussion should consist of reasoned positions based on at least somewhat verifiable facts. It is not reasonable to throw out rants known to be contrary to what others believe and expect others to take what is said as a matter of blind faith. That only invites a shouting match but no real exchange of ideas. All of us are guilty from time to time of throwing out our own political truisms without even considering the need to support them. Any of us who do can expect to be called on our suppositions.

Many of us are also prone to use whatever rhetorical tools we have in our quiver. We can also expect to be called on the propensity of using some such tools to mislead. Many of us here enjoy debating. Argument is part of debating. When I use the term argument, I mean application of reason and principles to facts, I don’t mean a backyard brawl. This might be trying to make too fine a distinction, but nevertheless, I see a difference between making an argument despite knowing that it might make someone angry, and making an argument designed to make someone angry.

Those are the standards to which I aspire. God knows that I frequently fail to meet them. I’m gonna end up pissing people off sometimes – I am one of those damn lawyers. But upsetting people is not my purpose for being here, and IMHO, that’s not the reason PC is here. I stand by my position that posting material designed only to provoke a negative response is trolling. I make this point prospectively only, and without the expectation that anyone needs to justify any conduct. PC is also clearly not designed to require everyone to justify himself/herself to others, and absolutely not to require anyone to justify himself/herself to D-Ray.

Regards,

D-Ray
That was perfect and follows my sentiments exactly. Emotion must be kept out of rational reasoned debate. In fact, that's why mathematics is, well, mathematics. The absence of emotion and precise language is why mathematics is so beautiful and powerful. Obviously, in political debate one can't have that sort of unambiguousness and precision of thought, but alas, we can always try to do better.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
That was perfect and follows my sentiments exactly. Emotion must be kept out of rational reasoned debate. In fact, that's why mathematics is, well, mathematics. The absence of emotion and precise language is why mathematics is so beautiful and powerful. Obviously, in political debate one can't have that sort of unambiguousness and precision of thought, but alas, we can always try to do better.
That's music to the ears of an engineer.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
We touchy feely philosopher types can try to gain entry into the club by pointing out that Plato was a mathematician.

When I am seriously listening to something - lecture, speech, music - I am a prolific doodler. I gravitate toward equilateral triangles in my doodles. I don't know if that something to tell a mathematician or a shrink. I do find them to be near perfect - or at least a versatile shape.

Back on topic, doesn't an unhealthy combination of political argument and emotion lead to demagoguery?

Regards,

D-Ray

PS: WTF, BH - it frightens me when we agree on something.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray
Ray,
I am glad that we have worked things out. It does please me, as a civil debate is preferable.

About Biden: You're right, he does say all kinds of crazy things. He is, however, the Vice President of the United States. Yes, what he says is not supportable - especially for one in his position. He was talking about "mass rapes in the street" the other day if the Jobs-bill doesn't pass. Well, it failed in the Senate as a large bipartisan group voted against it. This kind of talk is simply not presidential and the American people should not tolerate it coming from a Vice President.

The terrorist analogy: It was an analogy, but it was not out of context. In today's world, it is also extremely hateful and divisive, not to mention polarizing. Just because Biden says stupid things, does not mean that he should get a free pass. Personally, I firmly believe that if Biden were a Republican and he made a "terrorist" analogy about a Democrat group, that the press and the DNC in general would have been calling for his immediate resignation. The bottom line is, that it was totally uncalled for. To paraphrase Barrack Obama: He acted stupidly.

Emotional responses: Well, there has to be logic... but without passion in politics, what do you have?

Choice of words: My choice of words with Fast Eddie was unfortunate. What I should have said, is that I was attacking Obama as I believed it was his vulnerability as retaliation to the personal attacks he launched on me. It was designed to ruffle his feathers in the most effective way. In using your reasoning, he too was guilty of trolling in launching his series of attacks....Water under the bridge