Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The EU is not a country, like China or Brazil. It is a voluntary political and economic union of 28 member states established to create an internal single market through a standardized system of laws that apply in all member states for the sake of rationalizing trade and reducing transaction costs. Harmonized laws and standards pertinent to trade and commerce are essential to such a pact.

On balance, the general consensus of UK and world economists are that Brexit will negatively impact the UK. Time will tell. Here's an interesting read on the subject.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0260242c-3...9b15a8ee7.html
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The EU is not a country, like China or Brazil. It is a voluntary political and economic union of 28 member states established to create an internal single market through a standardized system of laws that apply in all member states for the sake of rationalizing trade and reducing transaction costs. Harmonized laws and standards pertinent to trade and commerce are essential to such a pact.

On balance, the general consensus of UK and world economists are that Brexit will negatively impact the UK. Time will tell. Here's an interesting read on the subject.

Brexit is more than Pounds, shillings and pence.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Ok, would the US let 28 countrys in the eu( if the US was in the eu) tell them you are now run by bureaucrats in Brussels and anything we alter in your country you will not be able to change. The eu is not only about trade.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Brexit is more than Pounds, shillings and pence.
Just to correct this. Britain hasnt used LSD ( forget the stupid remarks) Thats what £ shillings and pence were called. We went decimal in 1971. But I see what you are saying yes. Its more than trade.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 PM

Yesterday a bank in Germany I forget which one that doesn't matter, voted to join the London stock exchange. Are the Germans stupid for joining? I don't think so. So what does this say about GB leaving the eu.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:05 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by modge View Post
Just to correct this. Britain hasnt used LSD ( forget the stupid remarks) Thats what £ shillings and pence were called. We went decimal in 1971. But I see what you are saying yes. Its more than trade.
True. It is just an habit of mine of saying Pounds, shillings and pence.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
HAHA I still go back when I see a price for something today. Old habits die hard.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Don't forget sovereigns, crowns, farthings and ha'pennies.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by modge View Post
Ok, would the US let 28 countrys in the eu( if the US was in the eu) tell them you are now run by bureaucrats in Brussels and anything we alter in your country you will not be able to change. The eu is not only about trade.
In the US, the Federal government's laws supersede those of the individual states for many of the same reasons that the EU's supersede those of the individual countries. Same general idea - it makes no sense to have 50 (or 28) differing codes, standards and laws pertaining to interstate commerce. Admittedly though, we have generally the same culture in our 50 states, which is far less so in the EU.

It's a sticky wicket. One wants to preserve one's culture, while profiting from the economic benefits of the EU. I'm not sure you can have it both ways.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
In the US, the Federal government's laws supersede those of the individual states for many of the same reasons that the EU's supersede those of the individual countries. Same general idea - it makes no sense to have 50 (or 28) differing codes, standards and laws pertaining to interstate commerce. Admittedly though, we have generally the same culture in our 50 states, which is far less so in the EU.

It's a sticky wicket. One wants to preserve one's culture, while profiting from the economic benefits of the EU. I'm not sure you can have it both ways.
Every state in the US has its own laws. How can you compare it to the eu. Also NOT ALL THE LAWS changed here are about trade. There is no benefit from being in the eu. What do you think brexit is about. How many times must I say it. The eu trade in Britain is only a small part about wanting to leave the eu.