Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 PM

Translations of statements by two members of this forum.

Quote:
Chas, I think it's pretty obvious when someone is coming in just looking to pick a fight.
Translation--Anyone with opinions that go against the leftist majority aren't acceptable or tolerated.

Quote:
Actually, it only took one. Your screen name helped.
Translation--Anything regarding truth and the word truth itself are unacceptable and not tolerated.
-----------------------------------
And now back to the subject of this thread and my responses to some other statements made in this thread.

I'm against any of our money being spent by the federal government to fund a memorial building, monument or whatever else to honor any politician regardless of what Party the politician was in.

To me the Kennedy's are the most overrated American famous family in the history of the USA.

As to Iraq, why is Iraq not giving us free oil to pay for the financial costs of the USA being there to help them? In the past one explanation I heard was that Iraq needed all the money from it's oil to reestablish and rebuild itself.
Even with that explanation considered, shouldn't they at least be giving the USA a certain percentage of their oil to pay for some of the financial costs of the USA being there?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
Translation--Anyone with opinions that go against the leftist majority aren't acceptable or tolerated.
I have a couple of things to say to you.

First, sorry if I was a prick.

Second, you'll find that we tolerate people we disagree with better than most places. Certainly more than most political forums.

So with that, welcome to the forum and hope you settle in a bit once you kinda see how we generally get along.

Take care,

Ed
Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
I have a couple of things to say to you.

First, sorry if I was a prick.

Second, you'll find that we tolerate people we disagree with better than most places. Certainly more than most political forums.

So with that, welcome to the forum and hope you settle in a bit once you kinda see how we generally get along.

Take care,

Ed
I accept your apology Ed.

Well hopefully that's true, but I have my doubts when considering some of the statements some members of this forum have directed at me.

Thanks again for the welcome Ed and you take care too.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
I have my doubts when considering some of the statements some members of this forum have directed at me.
My perception:

1. You've earned every statement made against you.
2. You're a self-serving loon.

That said, "type away."
Old 05-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
My perception:

1. You've earned every statement made against you.
2. You're a self-serving loon.

That said, "type away."
1. Thanks Zeke for confirming my doubts.
2. You're a self-serving Moonbat.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
1. Thanks Zeke for confirming my doubts.
2. You're a self-serving Moonbat.
How can "the Truth" have doubts?

That's an oxymoron. Or, in this case, just "moron?"

You just keep typing, okay? I need the laughs.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quoting D-ray and merrylander....

With respect to your selection of the screen name Truth: Do you think you have the sole interpretation of the truth? The reaction to that choice of a moniker is not a distaste for the truth, but a distaste for one's idea that he is the sole arbiter of such matters. Simply choosing that sobriquet does not give you a personal hotline to the Divine Giver of Truth.

Your chosen screen name is about as pompous as it gets, that is one of the reasons why you have been given the reception you have. You might just as well called yourself the Messiah and been done with it.
No D-RAY, and I have no doubts that many of your truths would not be my truths and vice versa. Why bring religion up?

merrylander, on another forum there is this leftist on it that goes by the name of Truth Teller and I've never seen anyone be offended by or take him to task for it and in that forum 40% of it's members are on the Right side of the political spectrum. I agree that Messiah would be pompous, but I disagree that truth is in the same category.

truth

the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
the state or character of being true.
actuality or actual existence.
an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
(often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
agreement with a standard or original.
accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
Archaic. fidelity or constancy.
—Idiom
in truth, in reality; in fact; actually: In truth, moral decay hastened the decline of the Roman Empire.

1. Conformity to fact or actuality.
2. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
3. Sincerity; integrity.
4. Fidelity to an original or standard.
5. Reality; actuality.
----------------------------
So considering the definitions of truth what's offensive about using the word truth as a forum ID?

Last edited by Truth; 05-11-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
No D-RAY, and I have no doubts that many of your truths would not be my truths and vice versa. Why bring religion up?

merrylander, on another forum there is this leftist on it that goes by the name of Truth Teller and I've never seen anyone be offended by or take him to task for it and in that forum 40% of it's members are on the Right side of the political spectrum. I agree that Messiah would be pompous, but I disagree that truth is in the same category.

truth

the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
the state or character of being true.
actuality or actual existence.
an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
(often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
agreement with a standard or original.
accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
Archaic. fidelity or constancy.
—Idiom
in truth, in reality; in fact; actually: In truth, moral decay hastened the decline of the Roman Empire.

1. Conformity to fact or actuality.
2. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
3. Sincerity; integrity.
4. Fidelity to an original or standard.
5. Reality; actuality.
----------------------------
So considering the definitions of truth what's offensive about using the word truth as a forum ID?
If you can't see the pomposity of pretending to be the truth embodied, it's hard to decide where to start. Looking at a religious figure from an historical perspective, Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Light." Without discussing whether such theology is correct or not, many believe that Jesus was the Son of God or the Messiah. Accordingly, to many, claiming to be the Truth is akin to claiming to be the Messiah.

BTW, my reference to the Divine Giver of Truth was not intended as a religious reference - just a lame attempt at more picturesque speech.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:

Since I do not visit that forum wherever it may be I would give him/her the same comment. Makes me think of an Allistair Sim movie where he said to the judge "I said pompous ass and pompous ass you are"

"So considering the definitions of truth what's offensive about using the word truth as a forum ID?
"

Because it is false in your case, you never 'speak' you only link to the opinions of other people, and opinion is just that, someone's view of things but not necessarily gospel.

BTW, I note that you neatly ducked the rest of my post, cat got your tongue?

Last edited by merrylander; 05-12-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
...on another forum there is this leftist on it that goes by the name of Truth Teller...
Two men say their Jesus. One of them must be wrong.

You're fine Truth. Just one thing you haven't realized yet- this isn't like other forums. Nobody here lets anyone get away with anything. We're pretty fact and logic based for a bunch of blow hards. Trust me, I've been on both ends of that one. And really, that's all we are, a bunch of blow hards. Don't take any of this too seriously. We all do from time to time, but it allways seems silly later.