Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Might have something to do with your tree hugging brethren and all the regulations. Take a look at a map some time and see how much of this state the federal government has taken and consider how many of your tax dollars are thrown at justifying keeping it locked up.
Once again I will remind you that the U.S. of A. bought your state from Russia, not the local population. There by the land was all federally funded long ago as an investment. So any profits from said investments should be shared by all of the nation not just the few who live in Alaska.
Just because bountiful natural resource are in Alaska, does not mean they need to be used up as fast as possible. A wise nation would want to use them in a manner in which guarantees the most return.

But I do agree that all industries who are using the nations natural resources should be paying the government a higher royalties like your state is doing.

Barney
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Once again I will remind you that the U.S. of A. bought your state from Russia, not the local population. There by the land was all federally funded long ago as an investment. So any profits from said investments should be shared by all of the nation not just the few who live in Alaska.
Just because bountiful natural resource are in Alaska, does not mean they need to be used up as fast as possible. A wise nation would want to use them in a manner in which guarantees the most return.

But I do agree that all industries who are using the nations natural resources should be paying the government a higher royalties like your state is doing.

Barney
It's all right Barney, BP is managing the big pipeline so we will likely be reading about ruptures and oil leaks any day now.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
It's all right Barney, BP is managing the big pipeline so we will likely be reading about ruptures and oil leaks any day now.
That's okay, Joe Barton is already preparing his apology speech for the leakage and any subsequent suggestion that the company bears any fault.

Dave
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Fresh baby seal meat, midnight sun, grow your own, northern lights, what's not to love?

The government is one form or another has been responsible for all of the US. Does that mean they own it?

Pete
Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Fresh baby seal meat, midnight sun, grow your own, northern lights, what's not to love?

The government is one form or another has been responsible for all of the US. Does that mean they own it?

Pete
The teflon bubble is strong in you, young skywalker. By the people, for the people. Dam' govmint revenooers!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I shewt'em.

Pete
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

Barney
We were let into the union with our state constitution, which clearly states that the natural resources are the property of the citizens of the state. Of course, our state gov takes that to mean it belongs to them. Once upon a time, we had an honest governor named Jay Hammond who saw to it that the people actually got a small tiny fraction of the money before the gubmint could blow it all. That's where the Permanent Fund came from, and the politicians have been trying to take it back ever since. Hope that clears it up a bit for ya.

Now, have we deflected far enough from the OP's topic? What's a fair wage? Is $34/hr a fair wage for a tech in Alaska? Apparently not, because jobs are sitting here unfilled. Is $10 or $15 a fair wage for techs down there? Apparently so, or they'd get their asses on the highway and DRIVE TO WHERE THE MONEY IS!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
Might have something to do with your tree hugging brethren and all the regulations. Take a look at a map some time and see how much of this state the federal government has taken and consider how many of your tax dollars are thrown at justifying keeping it locked up.
Quote:
We were let into the union with our state constitution, which clearly states that the natural resources are the property of the citizens of the state. Of course, our state gov takes that to mean it belongs to them. Once upon a time, we had an honest governor named Jay Hammond who saw to it that the people actually got a small tiny fraction of the money before the gubmint could blow it all. That's where the Permanent Fund came from, and the politicians have been trying to take it back ever since. Hope that clears it up a bit for ya.

Now, have we deflected far enough from the OP's topic? What's a fair wage? Is $34/hr a fair wage for a tech in Alaska? Apparently not, because jobs are sitting here unfilled. Is $10 or $15 a fair wage for techs down there? Apparently so, or they'd get their asses on the highway and DRIVE TO WHERE THE MONEY IS!
So you can't stand the Federal guvmint or the State guvmint meddling in the right to clearcut then stripmine Alaska to it's bedrock. Sounds like it's time to sell it back to Putin and you could all retire to Orlando with yer guns.(just in time for global warming to put most of Florida underwater.)

Back to the topic, isn't the cost of living super high in Alaska?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
The Louisiana Purchase comes to mind. And yes. I'd say the people own it, and we are the government......Or at least we're supposed to be. Where's Woody Guthrie when I need him?

Dave