Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:41 PM

Ted Kennedy Shrine

Quote:
"At a time when the American taxpayer is on the hook for trillions in current and future federal spending -- when the Congressional Budget Office warns that the current rate of federal spending is 'unsustainable' -- liberal Democrats in Congress have earmarked over $68 million of taxpayer dollars for a Boston shrine to the late Senator Edward Kennedy. In a detailed report, the Boston Herald describes the planned Edward M. Kennedy Institute as a 'temple for Ted Kennedy built with pork.' According to their account, congressional Democrats -- especially ... John Kerry and Edward Markey -- have been cramming earmarks for the project into various government funding bills. The Herald found that Kerry and Markey even intend to siphon $28.9 million of the institute's funding from the Defense Department budget, with almost $19 million of that amount already signed into law. ... I believe that establishing Teddy's Temple with millions of taxpayer dollars is meant to serve twin purposes. First, it is intended to enshrine the pretense that one's politics is more important than any other aspect of one's personal character. ... Second, Teddy's Temple is a means to an even broader end. That end is to elevate his liberal ideology to the status of an official, government-approved 'ideal.' You can be sure that the 'good citizenship' propagated at his shrine will translate into speeches, writings, video clips, totems, classes, and materials extolling his liberalism generally, and his advocacy of socialized medicine specifically -- all paid for with your hard-earned dollars." --columnist Robert Bidinotto (patriotpost.us)
Anyone here going to defend Ted Kennedy, Kerry and Markey?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
People who liked and admired Teddy probably approve. People who didn't probably don't. It's like the $500 Million being spent on the George W. Bush library.

John
Old 05-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Second, Teddy's Temple is a means to an even broader end. That end is to elevate his liberal ideology to the status of an official, government-approved 'ideal.' You can be sure that the 'good citizenship' propagated at his shrine will translate into speeches, writings, video clips, totems, classes, and materials extolling his liberalism generally, and his advocacy of socialized medicine specifically -- all paid for with your hard-earned dollars.
Right wing paranoia and conspiracy theories sure are entertaining.

John
Old 05-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Anyone here going to defend Ted Kennedy...
Man, the guy couldn't even get off the hook with you by dying of cancer. Nice.

As others have said, if this kind of divisive BS floats your boat, that's fine. Yeah. If we had that $68M back everything would be fine. That would pay for the useless war in Iraq ten times over.

Seriously, don't let the hacks focus your attention... dunno. Something about speck in his eye, plank in your eye. Whatever. Waste of time. If you took the time to post this crap you won't understand what I'm trying (and failing) to say.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The Gravina Island Bridge, commonly referred to as the "Bridge to Nowhere", was a proposed bridge to replace the ferry that currently connects the town of Ketchikan, Alaska with Gravina Island, an island which contains the Ketchikan International Airport as well as 50 residents. The bridge was projected to cost $398 million. Members of the Alaskan congressional delegation, particularly Rep. Don Young and Sen. Ted Stevens, were the bridge's biggest advocates in Congress, and helped push for federal funding.[1] The project encountered fierce opposition outside of Alaska as a symbol of pork barrel spending and is labeled as one of the more prominent "bridges to nowhere".[2] As a result, Congress removed the federal earmark for the bridge in 2005.[3]
Anyone here going to defend convicted fellon Ted Stevens?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Right wing paranoia and conspiracy theories sure are entertaining.

John
No kidding. How much crap is named after Reagan?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Loyal Opposition

We have the Bob Dole Federal Courthouse in Kansas City, and there's also a Bob Dole Institute of Politics at the University of Kansas. Bob Dole was an institution in the U.S. Senate as was Ted Kennedy. I wouldn't rely on a columnist spouting the sort of rhetoric that was in the OP as an accurate description of the purpose nor the funding of the Kennedy institute.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
We have the Bob Dole Federal Courthouse in Kansas City, and there's also a Bob Dole Institute of Politics at the University of Kansas.
And he ain't even dead yet!

Quote:
Bob Dole was an institution in the U.S. Senate as was Ted Kennedy
Exactly! Bob Dole is a great American as was Teddy. There was a time when it was possible to acknowledge that greatness in spite of political differences. We seem to have lost that ability.

John
Old 05-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Never thought I'd miss "Third Person Bob" but I really do.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Defend? No, no need to.

I am glad to see this go being done. Arguably the great US Senators in out countries history.