Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The governmment here does not need to sieze private pension funds since non of them are fully funded in any case.
Private pension funds???????????

There are private sector employees in this country who still have a "pension"? Anyone under the age of sixty, that is?

Dave
Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Tell that to the folks in Europe who stand to get screwed in retirement.
At least they have a retirement to GET screwed out of...............

Dave
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
That's only government and union pension funds.
Because no one else HAS a pension to lose.

Dave
Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
At least they have a retirement to GET screwed out of...............

Dave
plus 1
Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Resident octogenarian

I am just thankful that mine is from a Canadian company and is fully funded.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
The governmment here does not need to sieze private pension funds since non of them are fully funded in any case.
Lol!

Whell, I disagree with you for once. They aren't angling for control - they had it from the start and spent it already.

Pete
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Again, It's because few in the private sector here, in the US, even HAVE a pension fund to begin with. Most of that was quietly stripped away a couple or three decades ago, along with the vast majority of unionized private sector jobs.

I can remember having a company funded pension and a 401k in the 1980s. Now, I have to put a much bigger part of my paycheck into my 401k, (10%, at present.), and I fear that it still may not be enough to actually retire on.
I know a whole lot of people who put NOTHING into retirement savings. NOTHING. Because, with wages being what they are, (And, to be honest taxes, at the working class level.), they claim they can't afford it. They are banking on SS and Medicare to save their ass, and then, ironically, voting for Republicans because they think it will get them lower taxes...........Let's see. What was that? .9%? Whew! We can afford that that retirement home in the Bahamas now! Thank ya, Jesus!

So, what is our big plan?

Why cutting, and eventually eliminating SS and Medicare, of course. "But, Dave, then we can give them a tax break and they can save more." No, we never give "them" a substantial tax break. When was the last time THAT happened? No, the only people who get substantial tax cuts in this country ARE THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T NEED THEM! And even if we did, do you think it would go into retirement savings? Oh, hell no. It would go into bigger boats and Chinese made junk.

No. What it will get them in the end is no pension, no savings, no SS and no medical insurance, (At the time they need it the most. Old age.)

But, hey, at least they can have satisfaction of knowing they didn't "steal" any money from the billionaires. They did the "moral" thing........Or maybe they're just a bunch of gullible tools?

Maybe by giving the cuts to the wealthy, they'll invest more and create jobs. Yes they will---elsewhere. Because you are still way more expensive than a Chinaman. "Well, then we'll work even harder for even less, and we'll do away with all of these pesky safety and environmental regulations. That'll make the businessmen happy!"

Where does THAT road lead? And would you really want to pass THAT polluted, low wage shithole of a world on to your kids?

"Oh, you're just a whiney little liberal loser! Ha, ha, ha, ha................."

No, I'm just looking ahead twenty years and trying to put up a sign-post;

"Warning! Disaster ahead!"

Some of us try to look beyond the next (empty) promise of tax cuts and our own self-interest.

Have a nice Day!

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-05-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Lol!

Whell, I disagree with you for once. They aren't angling for control - they had it from the start and spent it already.

Pete
You're right. My bad.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

People (myself included!) are suckers.

Pete
Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Area Man

P.T. Barnum was right, and Goldwater and Reagan were listening.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-05-2011 at 12:26 PM.