Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 AM

We should just raise the minimum wage to the equivalent of $40,000 per year, then index it for inflation. That'll fix everything.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinE View Post
While some might say that the lowest workers in our society shouldn't be given the luxury of 'disposable income', the stimulation effect on our economy would be..... awesome!
Who says that?

Chas
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who says that?

Chas
I'll tell you who says that, Chas.
It's the person in line who sneers at the mom purchasing a treat for her children with food stamps when treats are far and few between for that child.
It's the lady in the school lunch program that thinks less of your child when they get a new pair of much needed tennis shoes while on the free lunch program.
It's the soccer moms who insist the struggling mom bring team snacks that she can't afford and then talk behind her back because the snacks aren't up to their standards and how cam she afford to have her kid play soccer anyway.

That's who says that and there are a whole lot of them out there.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinE View Post
While some might say that the lowest workers in our society shouldn't be given the luxury of 'disposable income', !
That is as stupid as those who want the poor to pass a drug test regularly to eat or those who won't give to the poor without "stipulations" on how their dollar can be used.

Just a bunch of ignorant folks.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
We should just raise the minimum wage to the equivalent of $40,000 per year, then index it for inflation. That'll fix everything.
That seems to me to be reasonable.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
It's the person in line who sneers at the mom purchasing a treat for her children with food stamps when treats are far and few between for that child.
It's the lady in the school lunch program that thinks less of your child when they get a new pair of much needed tennis shoes while on the free lunch program.
It's the soccer moms who insist the struggling mom bring team snacks that she can't afford and then talk behind her back because the snacks aren't up to their standards and how cam she afford to have her kid play soccer anyway.

I guess you have not heard, the poor have no business feeling a normal member of society at any time. For them to eat out on occasion or eat meat at home, drive a decent car or wear the latest Nike is not tolerable to the religious right.

In fact they don't even think they should be having sex. They always bitch about them having too many kids and don't want them to use protection just abstain.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Resident octogenarian

Here is summat for the religious right;

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels, and have not charity I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. Though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing"

From Paul's letters to the christians in Corinth although some scholars have said 'charity' was a mis-translation and the word should have been 'love'. Regardless the meaning is still there.

"They that are whole need not a physician, but they that are sick."
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post

That sounds more like boorish behavior to me.

To tell the truth, I don't think I've ever met anyone who wishes poverty on everyone else.

Chas
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM

I think it was me who posted the Ford and GE jobs in Louisville in another post. After double checking my memory. Ford does start out at 15.51 and GE is 13.03. But ATT is 10.79 an hour. Sorry for the mistake on the amounts was going from a bad memory and no coffee yesterday morning. Still much lower then the starting salaries were just three years ago. Most people I know who lost jobs in the last few years have settled for significantly less in pay and benefits when finding new employment.

Be that the employee will now have higher healthcare costs and need to invest a larger amounts into their retirement fund then in years past I don't see an increase in pay overall.

Barney
Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That sounds more like boorish behavior to me.

To tell the truth, I don't think I've ever met anyone who wishes poverty on everyone else.

Chas
Chas, I don't think it is so much wishing poverty on others but rather, feeling superior to those who live in poverty.