Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Admin

"America's Best Days Lie Ahead" Buffet

"America's best days lie ahead," Buffett, 83, said in his annual letter to Berkshire shareholders.
"Charlie and I have always considered a 'bet' on ever-rising U.S. prosperity to be very close to a sure thing," he added, referring to his 90-year-old vice chairman Charlie Munger. "Though we invest abroad as well, the mother lode of opportunity resides in America."
"The annual letter is widely read not just by Berkshire shareholders, but by investors and others looking for wisdom and guidance from the so-called Oracle of Omaha, the world's fourth-richest person."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/berksh...132707043.html

I'll take the opinion of this guy over any wingnut conspiracy theorists' hyperventilating gloom and doom scenarios.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 AM
Area Man

As will I, but with a grain of salt. After all, he has a sizable stake in attempting to influence markets as well.

That being said, it is refreshing to read some optimistic words, rather than all of the psychopathically pessimistic rantings of the right.

Dave
Old 03-03-2014, 05:56 AM

I lost all respect for Buffet when he bought the railroad that moves oil out of the Bakken knowing the damage it would do to our environment and economy. Natural gas can not be transported above ground profitably due to the low temps it needs so the gov accommodated the oil producers by allowing them to simply flare off all the nat gas that got in their way.

All the while crippling the coal industry to raise electric prices under the farce of environmental improvements.
Between the oil spills from this rail road , river shipping and the flaring off the environmental destruction has been enormous.
Economically the pay offs to Washington to keep out the Keystone pipeline or our own pipeline to keep Buffets railroad profits coming in has stagnated our economy and kept us dependent on foreign oil. The damage has only just began. Look at what is going on in Ukraine. If we had started the program LNG wanted to we would have been exporting NG to Europe 3 years ago and Europe wouldn't be in a position of foregoing Washington's bribes and being forced to accept whatever Russia says now. They know if the furnaces go out that the people will rise up and demand their officials team up with Russia instead of freezing to death.
We have been sold out by our representative government and it isn't just republicans or democrats. The Bush/Obama regimes have been the most destructive in our history.
Call it right wing gloom and doom if you like but the facts don't change.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
"America's best days lie ahead," Buffett, 83, said in his annual letter to Berkshire shareholders.
"Charlie and I have always considered a 'bet' on ever-rising U.S. prosperity to be very close to a sure thing," he added, referring to his 90-year-old vice chairman Charlie Munger. "Though we invest abroad as well, the mother lode of opportunity resides in America."
"The annual letter is widely read not just by Berkshire shareholders, but by investors and others looking for wisdom and guidance from the so-called Oracle of Omaha, the world's fourth-richest person."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/berksh...132707043.html

I'll take the opinion of this guy over any wingnut conspiracy theorists' hyperventilating gloom and doom scenarios.
Best days ahead for whom?

The big boys have the workers on the run. They show no willingness to
view the worker as a part of the company to be rewarded.

There is an ever increasing trend to increase the slice of top management
and workers are more and more viewed as temporaries.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Buffett's opinion coincides with that of most renowned economists. As a nation, we're poised pretty well for recovery when compared to nearly every other nation on earth. At this moment, I would not bet against us. The biggest hitch is Teabagger idiocy on Capitol Hill. Thankfully, the GOP is starting to realize this.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM

I hope you are right Finn!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Best days ahead for whom?

The big boys have the workers on the run. They show no willingness to
view the worker as a part of the company to be rewarded.

There is an ever increasing trend to increase the slice of top management
and workers are more and more viewed as temporaries.
This is also true. It was recently explained to me, by a conservative friend, that the ultimate goal is".... more like the worker is a freelance contractor than part of a collective unit." Ummmmm, except the corporate structure is still collective in nature and the aggregate wage continues to decline as we get closer to this utopian "freelance contractor" scheme.

Which, of course, is the entire point. Divide and conquer, don't ya know.

Dave
Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The ACA is a step closer to contractor as you don't need to be directly employed.

That said, the IRS hates independent contractors, they're harder to control. I doubt the feds really prefer contractors.

As far as temp help, it's partly the huge amount of regulation that drives using temps at least as looking for new hires goes. There's also a bit of 'they do the looking' etc.

Pete
Old 03-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Area Man

You do if you want to make your mandatory premium payments.

The Feds no, the employers, yes.

Flexibility is what drives the use of temps. They are disposable and easily replaced from a pool, every employers dream. So, this means we should ALL happily become as disposable, a large chunk of the fruit of our labors being paid to a middle man----the temp agency?

Dave
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If you are a contractor making money you can pay your premiums.

Temps only make sense in certain situations. There is no way most of us here could be replaced with temps. We are not going to be a nation of temps Dave

Pete