Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
More of a statement about states rights I think. After all, that's what the war was about was is not? The racial overtones are just a bonus.
No, it isn't. The "States Rights" argument was just an excuse to preserve slavery and the power base of wealthy, white plantation owners.

The South lost in what was but the second victory of the American Revolution.

The Confederacy was about as honorable as the Nazis and all other tyrants.

May they all burn in hell.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Agreed

I realise that many are unhappy with the Stars and Bars but understand the love of them too. Thank goodness we live in a free country.

Pete
What on earth ever gave you that idea?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Lots of Old Angry White Dudes thinking they are the victim.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Rob, I've read that there were quite a few Americans that became Canadians after the rebellion in 1776. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Or did your ancestors come straight to Canada from Europe?

Noone, that did it, now I'm going to fly the reb flag next to my don't tread on me flag

Pete
He was a distant cousin, also named Robert whose wife died in childbirth. Then their daughter died before the age of ten. He pretty much disappeared from Lincolnshire. The age and description match so we assume he emigrated to the US.

My Dad emigrated to Canada in 1908 but I had a great great great uncle who emigrated to Canada and the big family farm is still there in Northern Ontario. So of the forty or so families of my surname in Canada they are direct family or cousins.

A brother of that great great great uncle (I assume) joined the Mormon church and emigrated to the US. Contracted cholera on the steamer up the Mississippi from New Orleans to St. Louis. He dies a month after landing but his children went on. Now I can bet that anyone with my surname west of the Mississippi is a cousin.

The ones on the east coast are from Cheshire (mostly) and since some were slave owners I have no desire to establish any relationship. I agree with Gouvernor Morris of PA that slavery is an abomination before God (And that goes for the economic variety as well).

The ones who moved to Canada were the Empire Loyalists (not really Americans) who helped fight off the various attempts to annex Canada along with 80% of Mexico. (Manifest Destiny).

Will anyone get excited if I fly the Maple Leaf July 1st?

Last edited by merrylander; 06-29-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
No, it isn't. The "States Rights" argument was just an excuse to preserve slavery and the power base of wealthy, white plantation owners.

The South lost in what was but the second victory of the American Revolution.

The Confederacy was about as honorable as the Nazis and all other tyrants.

May they all burn in hell.
One of the things that the South objected to was the anti-slavery states exercising their state's right to forbid the practice of slavery within their borders. When the Southern slave owners wanted to escape the summer heat for places like Newport, RI, they couldn't bring their slaves along to see to their needs.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 AM

Wasn't a member here when this thread started, but how times have changed since then.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
One of the things that the South objected to was the anti-slavery states exercising their state's right to forbid the practice of slavery within their borders. When the Southern slave owners wanted to escape the summer heat for places like Newport, RI, they couldn't bring their slaves along to see to their needs.
Awwww...........

Poor bablies! Too lazy to do their own work and too cheap pay someone a reasonable wage to do. Nice to see some things never change.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Wasn't a member here when this thread started, but how times have changed since then.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
That is an optimistic viewpoint....I think what has changed is that the cultural norm of just ignoring that flag has disappeared and now it is the right thing to do by taking it down off of public property. Sadly many probably still want to fly the flag.

Well I guess we should take progress when it comes.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Admin