Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
I wouldn't bet on it
If they did, I would bet they were real ignorant.

(and I sincerely mean this)
Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 AM

Would you have a problem if they were to start flying the Confederate flag again at the Old Confederates Home at Higginsville, MO?

It is a part of OUR heritage, the home was built by donations from ex confederates so that their brothers in arms wouldn't wind up being destitute in their old age, or from being crippled in the war. The site also contains a large Confederate graveyard.

Or should it be banished from the face of the earth because some chose to see only one side of the issue, and focus on the racial overtone argument?

Chas
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I don't disagree but it was the flag that was raised to stop the freeing of the black slaves. Hard to sweep that under a rug.

It may have some positive meaning for some but it is also a flag of slavery support.

Actually the start of it all was about secession and not slavery, that came in about halfway through the war. I see people sieze upon symbols and use them for totally different purposes than the original intent,, hardly the symbols fault.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Or should it be banished from the face of the earth because some chose to see only one side of the issue, and focus on the racial overtone argument?

Chas
I really hesitate to do this, but I just can't stop myself. I was born in Ohio but have lived in the South for most of my life. My mothers side of the family came from Virginia and I have ancestors who fought on BOTH sides of the war. So, now that that's out of the way...............

Charles, and I'm sure Twodogs and hillbilly will chime in,

In the argument over whether it was "slavery" or "states rights" that the Civil War was fought over;

1). You're right. The original argument for going to war was "States Rights".
But, which "Right" was it the South was claiming? Could it have been
the claimed right to secession*?

2). And why would the Confederates wish to secede from the Union?
What was the big issue of the times? Could it have been the growing
outcry from "Abolishionists" mostly, (but not entirely), in the Northern
states for a federal ban on.................Slavery? Yeah, pretty much.

* Read Article 1, section 10 of the U.S. Constitution; "No state shall
enter into any .......confederation, for the printing of money,
establishment of tariff.... without the consent of the congress.....
engage in acts of war............." Well, you can read.
And Article 1 was not a later amendment. It was written by
the founders themselves. Many of them Southerners.

Sorry, but as I see it, the issue traced all the way back to it's roots, leads to.........slavery, and an action forbidden by the Constitution....Secession without the consent of Congress.

Then I hear, "Well, Lincoln wasn't really opposed to slavery.". This is a falsehood as well. Lincoln was involved in the Abolishion Movement long before his Presidency. Some quote him as having said, "I cannot win this war without freeing slaves,", but that's only half of the quote, The other half is, "nor can I free any slaves without victory in this war." A mutual imperitive, both HAD to happen, is what he was saying, because he was being asked to make a compromise with the South in order to bring an earlier end to the war. A compromise he refused to make.

Oh, I agree with y'all that there is a whitewashing being attempted in regards to the Civil War. I just don't agree with you on WHO'S doing the whitewashing.

Sorry my friends, but that's how I see it.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-26-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The 'State Right' in question was slavery, no doubt about it. And although a politician Lincoln hated slavery and called it a national - not a southern - sin.

Which begs the question: Slavery was lawful before the civil war as well. Why isn't the American flag considered a racist symbol of slavery?

Pete
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The 'State Right' in question was slavery, no doubt about it. And although a politician Lincoln hated slavery and called it a national - not a southern - sin.

Which begs the question: Slavery was lawful before the civil war as well. Why isn't the American flag considered a racist symbol of slavery?

Pete
Hey Pete,

I think in the cases of BOTH flags, or any symbol, it's a question of what people WANT to believe.

Dave
Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Hey Pete,

I think in the cases of BOTH flags, or any symbol, it's a question of what people WANT to believe.

Dave
Agreed

I realise that many are unhappy with the Stars and Bars but understand the love of them too. Thank goodness we live in a free country.

Pete
Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Would you have a problem if they were to start flying the Confederate flag again at the Old Confederates Home at Higginsville, MO?

It is a part of OUR heritage, the home was built by donations from ex confederates so that their brothers in arms wouldn't wind up being destitute in their old age, or from being crippled in the war. The site also contains a large Confederate graveyard.

Chas
I know you don't live this issue or you would not offer an excuse to fly it.

Do they fly the WWII German swastika flag over Auschwitz-Birkenau?

It's an insane analogy.

Sorry Chas, you have just offered up the first post I can say you are dead wrong on.

Heritage?????? an excuse for hate??????
Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I really hesitate to do this, but I just can't stop myself. I was born in Ohio but have lived in the South for most of my life. My mothers side of the
Guys. It's irrelevant why the war was fought. It is a symbol of slavery and is no different than flying the Nazi flag today.

Period.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Resident octogenarian

Oddly enough I have a distant relative (he bore the same name as me) who fought on the Union side during the civil war and was wounded and received a pension as a result.