Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Admin

Far Right Tea Party Loons in Revolt

"House conservatives on Wednesday revolted against a massive bipartisan deal to raise the debt ceiling and bust spending caps, complaining that the GOP could no longer lay claim to being the party of fiscal responsibility.

“I’m not only a ‘no.’ I’m a ‘hell no,’ ” quipped Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), one of many members of the Tea Party-aligned Freedom Caucus who left a closed-door meeting of Republicans saying they would vote against the deal.

It’s a “Christmas tree on steroids,” lamented one of the Freedom Caucus leaders, Rep. Dave Brat (R-Va.).

“This spending proposal is disgusting and reckless — the biggest spending increase since 2009,” conservative Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) tweeted after the meeting. “I urge every American to speak out against this fiscal insanity.”

The debt hike, in particular, is giving conservatives “heartburn,” said Rep. Dennis Ross (R-Fla.), a member of the GOP vote-counting team.

The swift backlash from fiscal hawks means that Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and his leadership team will need dozens of Democratic votes to help get the caps-and-funding deal through the lower chamber to avert a government shutdown set for midnight Thursday." The Hill

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/37...te-budget-deal

So, Ryan is going to need the democrats to bail his sorry ass out? He'd better sharpen his pencil because Nancy has him by the short and curlies.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

After a $1.5 trillion dollar tax cut, they're suddenly worried about deficit spending? Cry me a fucking river. Hypocrites. Nancy's gonna make 'em sweat, but it's still not clear if Ryan will even allow a vote if he doesn't have enough Republicans for a majority (Hastert Rule). If he passes it with Dem votes and bypasses the Hastert Rule, particularly with a promise of a floor vote on DACA, the FreeDumb Caucus will go completely ballistic, as will talk radio, Breitbart, and all the loonies. Should be entertaining.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:21 PM

I agree with the Freedumb caucus, this is a wasteful budget giving the military even a larger hike than the Dotard asked. But, some essential social programs are included to balance military spending increase, not quite equal but close. So the unnecessary military spending increase is like a poison pill and needs to be swallowed to get funding for social programs. So be it, Ryan needs Pelosi's support and she will get DACA. Of course Dem votes are needed in the Senate too. So DACA in now sure to pass an an unintended consequence and no Trump Wall that I can see. McConnel & Ryan probably know that they will get no Democratic votes for any wall, period.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Admin

"Hours to a midnight shutdown deadline, congressional leaders scrambled to rally support for a sweeping half-trillion-dollar spending deal Thursday amid last-minute objections from a conservative in the Senate, and attacks from left and right in the House.
As opposition appeared to swell in the House and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) threw up last-minute roadblocks in the Senate, White House Office of Management and Budget spokesman John Czwartacki said that “agencies are now being urged to review and prepare for lapse” in spending after midnight.
Paul, making use of Senate rules that give individual senators enormous power to slow down proceedings that often require the consent of all, demanded a vote on his amendment that would demonstrate how the two-year budget deal breaks past pledges to rein in federal spending.
“I can’t in all good honesty, in all good faith, just look the other way because my party is now complicit in the deficits,” Paul said on the Senate floor as evening pushed into night, after objecting as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) tried to move to a vote. Paul then launched into a lengthy floor speech deriding bipartisan complicity on deficit spending while the country goes “on and on and on finding new wars to fight that make no sense.” Paul predicted a “day of reckoning,” possibly in the form of the collapse of the stock market." WP

Unbelievable. The Klown Kar Posse is running the 'Ship of State' up on the rocks.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Rational Anarchist

With the exception of GHW Bush the GOP hasn't been the party of fiscal responsibility since 1980.

Last edited by nailer; 02-08-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:07 PM

Rand Paul is pulling a Nancy in the Senate. Good.
Quote:
Angered at the huge spending increases at the center of the deal, Mr. Paul delayed the vote for hours with a demand to vote on an amendment.

“The reason I’m here tonight is to put people on the spot,” Mr. Paul said. “I want people to feel uncomfortable. I want them to have to answer people at home who said, ‘How come you were against President Obama’s deficits and then how come you’re for Republican deficits?’”

He showed no sign of relenting, delivering a floor speech in which he bemoaned what he saw as out-of-control government spending.

“I think the country’s worth a debate until 3 in the morning, frankly,” he said.
Doubt anyone will offer an answer, not today anyway with a shut down on the horizon, albeit a short one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/u...T.nav=top-news