Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Israel attacks peaceful aidbringers.

So, Israel protects itself (it has every right to do so), and they're the BAD guy?

And Turkey is becoming more and more Islamicist. Bad news for NATO.

Pete
Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I have mixed feelings about this story. Surely, Israel has a right to defend itself. OTOH, the boat contained no weapons and was 70 miles out in international waters where Israel had no right to board the ship.

After the boarding (of questionable legality), the Israelis were a bit heavy-handed in killing 9 folks onboard. There was a former US State Dep't. official on board who casts a different light upon what occurred than the Israelis did.

Without judging the specific merits of this case, I personally see more benefit from an alliance with Turkey than with Israel.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Israel did indeed have the right to board the ship in international waters according to the US State Department.

If that collection of terrorists tried landing here what do you think we would've done?

And if they attacked our guys with metal pipes, what would we have done?

Let's have Turkey join the EU so they can travel Europe without passports. Why is that a problem?

Pete

PS - what the hell was the former US State Dep't. official doing with those people?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
So, Israel protects itself (it has every right to do so), and they're the BAD guy?
Absurd! The people in this convoy consisted of peace activists from all over the world, Nobel Prize winners, Israeli Members of Parliament but no militants or terrorists. The cargo was strictly humanitarian aid for the isolated, blockaded citizens of Gaza. It was thoroughly inspected by the Turkish government (an ally of Israel) and declared to be free of anything other than what it was declared to be: HUMANITARIAN AID FOR A MILLION STARVING PEOPLE LIVING IN A CITY THAT WAS BOMBED FLAT AND THEN BLOCKADED BY THE ISRAELIS.

Quote:
And Turkey is becoming more and more Islamicist. Bad news for NATO.
Source, please.

John
Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
If that collection of terrorists tried landing here what do you think we would've done?
Collection of terrorists?????

Quote:
Let's have Turkey join the EU so they can travel Europe without passports. Why is that a problem?
Why indeed!

Quote:
PS - what the hell was the former US State Dep't. official doing with those people?
Or, for that matter, what were sitting members of the Knesset doing on board. What's the matter, Pete? Doesn't this square with your "terrorist" theory?

John
Old 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Word is that there was, um, interesting things happening aboard the 6th ship. We shall see.

You want to let a Turkey-inspected ship into New York without OUR inspection? Hello Hamas. This whole thing is a stunt and a dumb one at that. Sadly it appears to be working, with the left worldwide gleefully joining their friends like Iran, Syria, etc in condemning the country they have sworn to destroy.

Ah, these nobel prizewinning peace activists from around the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYjkL...layer_embedded

Let's see what comes of this. Turkey is talking war, and there is a 7th ship on the way.

Pete

PS millions of tons of humanitarian aid goes to Palestine every year. Why isn't that a problem?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

Let's see what comes of this. Turkey is talking war, and there is a 7th ship on the way.

Pete

PS millions of tons of humanitarian aid goes to Palestine every year. Why isn't that a problem?
Depending on one's point-of-view, the armed Israelis boarding this ship in international waters were pirates in the eyes of the law. Perhaps the less-than-friendly greeting party was appropriate under the circumstances.

BTW, the government in place in the Gaza strip was chosen in an election that we supported until the wrong party won.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Word is that there was, um, interesting things happening aboard the 6th ship. We shall see.
No doubt we shall see that the IDF is propagandizing again.

Quote:
You want to let a Turkey-inspected ship into New York without OUR inspection? Hello Hamas.
Hell, no! I want to sink the fucker in international waters!

Pete, we're not talking about inspecting ships in port. Of course, the ship should have been allowed into port in Gaza and then inspected by Israeli port authorities. Then any legitimate humanitarian aid supplies should have been allowed in!

Quote:
This whole thing is a stunt and a dumb one at that.
Yeah, it's almost as bad as all those boatloads of Jewish refugees defying the British blockade of Palestine in the late '40s. The nerve of those people!

Quote:
Sadly it appears to be working, with the left worldwide gleefully joining their friends like Iran, Syria, etc in condemning the country they have sworn to destroy.
Iran is one thing but Bashar al Assad is not his father. I think we're going to see a moderate, relatively secular Syria with good relations with the US and Israel. I hope so anyway.

Quote:

Video courtesy of the IDF!

Ever hear of Mairead Corrigan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mairead_Corrigan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/northern_...d/10212955.stm

Quote:
I don't think they are. They're calling for an international investigation of the assault and are "re-evaluating their relationship" with Israel but not war. for one thing, such talk would scupper their chances for entry into the EU.

Quote:
Why is it?

None of that aid is getting to Gaza. Gaza is what this is about, you know.

John
Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

In the eyes of international law they weren't pirates. If they wanted a fight they sure got one!

And Hitler was elected.

Btw, rereading my last post I apologize, it really reads harshly.

Pete
Old 06-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
BTW, the government in place in the Gaza strip was chosen in an election that we supported until the wrong party won.
But Rupert Murdoch's WSJ refers to the current situation as having occurred since Hamas "siezed control" of Gaza. (INSERT "NO" SMILEY HERE)

John