Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
But Rupert Murdoch's WSJ refers to the current situation as having occurred since Hamas "siezed control" of Gaza. (INSERT "NO" SMILEY HERE)

John
Kinda like Obama seized control here, eh?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Resident octogenarian

I saw one of the organizers on Newshour last night. Very obvious that the whole idea was to provoke the reaction that they got. Kind of like when you insult someone and he punches you in the nose. The arabs in Gaza elected a bunch of known Iranian sponsored terrorists, I am not sure what that would do for peaceful relations, but then I don't think like an arab.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I saw one of the organizers on Newshour last night. Very obvious that the whole idea was to provoke the reaction that they got.
... and Israel was just dumb/cantankerous enough to play right into their hands.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
No doubt we shall see that the IDF is propagandizing again.

Hell, no! I want to sink the fucker in international waters!

Pete, we're not talking about inspecting ships in port. Of course, the ship should have been allowed into port in Gaza and then inspected by Israeli port authorities. Then any legitimate humanitarian aid supplies should have been allowed in!

Yeah, it's almost as bad as all those boatloads of Jewish refugees defying the British blockade of Palestine in the late '40s. The nerve of those people!

Iran is one thing but Bashar al Assad is not his father. I think we're going to see a moderate, relatively secular Syria with good relations with the US and Israel. I hope so anyway.

Video courtesy of the IDF!

Ever hear of Mairead Corrigan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mairead_Corrigan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/northern_...d/10212955.stm

I don't think they are. They're calling for an international investigation of the assault and are "re-evaluating their relationship" with Israel but not war. for one thing, such talk would scupper their chances for entry into the EU.

Why is it?

None of that aid is getting to Gaza. Gaza is what this is about, you know.

John
Israel says it, it must be lies.

Israel decides where the ships will be inspected, not Gaza, not Turkey.

Turkey is sure talking the talk right now, we'll see. "Re evaluating" means suspending diplomatic ties?

"Following the 2008–2009 Israel–Gaza conflict, an international conference took place in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, where donors pledged almost $4.5 billion for the resonstruction of Gaza. These funds bypass Hamas, since the PNA, in collaboration with the donor community, has taken the leadership in delivering and distributing the assistance.[51]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...o_Palestinians

So yes Gaza is receiving aid in spite of the evil Israelis. As a matter of fact the aid on the 'flotilla' is being trucked in as we speak.

Pete
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Are you OK with the Somalis "inspecting" ships in international waters off their coast as well?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Israel inspecting ships coming through their declared blockade (perfectly legal) is a whole hell of a lot different than pirates stealing it.

Pete
Old 06-02-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Israel says it, it must be lies.
Don't paint this (me) as anti-Israel, okay? Next it'll be anti-Semitic.

The aggressor says it. It must be suspect.

Quote:
So..... this was an inspection?

Quote:
Turkey is sure talking the talk right now, we'll see. "Re evaluating" means suspending diplomatic ties?
Perhaps, but "war"?

Quote:
"Following the 2008–2009 Israel–Gaza conflict, an international conference took place in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, where donors pledged almost $4.5 billion for the resonstruction of Gaza. These funds bypass Hamas, since the PNA, in collaboration with the donor community, has taken the leadership in delivering and distributing the assistance.[51]"
Nowhere in your citation or in the source for it does it say that these funds have actually been allocated or that any of the humanitarian aid it purchased been delivered to the Gazan people. What you have here is a $4.5 billion effort to circumvent and delegitimize the duly elected government of Gaza. The PNA, Israel and much of the world community want Hamas out of there and are prepared to see the Gazan people suffer to achieve it.

Quote:
So yes Gaza is receiving aid in spite of the evil Israelis. As a matter of fact the aid on the 'flotilla' is being trucked in as we speak.
Do you actually think that would have happened without the international reaction to this wholly unwarranted attack?

John
Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Israel inspecting ships coming through their declared blockade (perfectly legal) is a whole hell of a lot different than pirates stealing it.

Pete
Establishing a blockade which declares a "no-go zone" in international waters isn't legal.

John
Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Resident octogenarian

One thing that puzzles me about all this sympathy toward these arabs. I have a great deal of trouble scaring up sympathy for people who brain wash their young people. Then they persuade them that it is a noble act to strap on an explosive vest and detonate it in a crowded restaurant, or on a packed bus. I have difficulty in seeing the nobility of such acts. Or when these 'people' fire rockets from a school yard knowing that it is a simple matter to plot trajectory and return fire will hit the school yard.

This mentality is beyond my comprehension, much like the car bomb cowards who sat two children in the back of the car to make it seem innocuous. Then they ran from the car and detonated it - with the children still inside. I find such people capable of any moral depravity.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Establishing a blockade which declares a "no-go zone" in international waters isn't legal.

John
Guess we broke the law with the Cuba missile blockade then?