Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM

MOST of the time, by the time one of the big, bad systems gets to here in the mountains, they've shot their wads pretty good...Altho we CAN get pretty good LOCALISED Snot-Slingers...Another thing is that the mountains are usually a few degrees cooler than in Nashville, or most certainly Memphis, THAT takes a lot of the sting out of 'em. The mountains themselves also tend to break up/disrupt weather systems, too. Not having any elevation for the water to run off TO can be a big problem...
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
MOST of the time, by the time one of the big, bad systems gets to here in the mountains, they've shot their wads pretty good...Altho we CAN get pretty good LOCALISED Snot-Slingers...Another thing is that the mountains are usually a few degrees cooler than in Nashville, or most certainly Memphis, THAT takes a lot of the sting out of 'em. The mountains themselves also tend to break up/disrupt weather systems, too. Not having any elevation for the water to run off TO can be a big problem...
Like the old saying around here, "The river holds the first mortgage".

Chas
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
As many times as I'm out of line, I figger an apology here and there doesn't hurt a thing.

Let's say that this apology covers the times that I HAVE been out of line with you...and I know I have. James Beam may have put me up to it, but the responsibility still falls on me.

Take care,

Chas
Bottom line is that I'm arrogant enough to think that I can engage in an intelligent conversation, but it's difficult to have a conversation with people who aren't present. If every point is made by quoting someone else, particularly some wingnut blogger, there is no ability to engage and explore the reasons behind the post. I get impatient when the dialogue is nothing more than trading (or in this case, repeating) insults. I have been known to throw out an insult or two myself, although sometimes I try to hide them. I find it worthwhile to spend some time here reading and learning a thing or two, and I actually enjoy reading the contrary point of view as well. I think as a group we have established some standards here, but would probably have to confess that my patience with flamethrowers is shorter from the right than from the left.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 05-08-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I must be missing something, I don't see where Truth is THAT far out of line. At least, not to the point of receiving the personal insults laid on him.
Wouldn't know what it's like to have personal insults laid on me. Must be rough.

Well, here's what I think, since you asked. We have folks here I can disagree with and yet talk to. But when we get this "yeah, if you're against the war in Iraq than I guess you're fine with ignoring murders" crap I don't see much point in having a discussion. Really, don't see much point in someone like that posting in a forum at all. There's clearly no interest in discussing anything. Just spewing nonsense. If I have to explain why there are reasonable people who could be against the war in Iraq we have work to do to get to square one. Then to come back a couple of posts later and yack about "we gotta get the spending..."

Um, okay, glad there was no "spending" in Iraq. And glad the folks who drug us over there under false pretenses didn't figure out any way to pay for it. We're really delving into some interesting stuff now. Yawn.

Like I said, I'm kinda testy right now, so don't put much stock in what I say. Chas, I'll jaw with you about issues all night. Bring Pete along and you guys can double team me. I'm fine with that. You're willing to listen to an argument and consider it. When you inevitably disagree with me you'll at least try to do it in some ostensibly logical manner.

Now, if you're defending this Truth character, you must think it's okay to shoot puppy dogs in the head. Is that it? Are you a puppy dog head shooter or do you agree with me?

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 05-08-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Bottom line is that I'm arrogant enough to think that I can engage in an intelligent conversation, but it's difficult to have a conversation with people who aren't present. If every point is made by quoting someone else, particularly some wingnut blogger, there is no ability to engage and explore the reasons behind the post. I get impatient when the dialogue is nothing more than trading (or in this case, repeating) insults. I have been known to throw out an insult or two myself, although sometimes I try to hide them. I find it worthwhile to spend some time here reading and learning a thing or two, and I actually enjoy reading the contrary point of view as well. I think as a group we have established some standards here, but would probably have to confess that my patience with flamethrowers is shorter from the right than from the left.

Regards,

D-Ray
Damned Bigot!!!

I have to admit, a spirited argument carried on face to face is much easier. You loose a lot of nuances with a typing machine, even with the smiley faces, which I suppose I'll never master.

You and I are a lot alike in certain respects. Both of us are married to nurses, yours apparently works nights, and mine evenings. And we can pretty much do as we please at any time, unless we've committed ourselves, and what has to happen gets done. Which pretty much leaves both of us sitting at home of an evening with the dog, too early to go to bed, way too late to go get drunk with the locals.

And pretty much bored to tears. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose this pretty much sums up everyone present, in one way or another.

Myself, I can set here and have a few drinks and converse with someone worth the effort. Even in Bugtussell, I fear driving after a few. I know pretty much every gravel road in the county, but I don't want a DUI, especially at my advanced age.

Companionship, on my terms and whims. I suppose thats it in a nutshell. God, I'm a selfish bastard.

But things aren't as they once were. Back when you could have fun without worrying about them taking away you name, your fortune, and imposing economic genocide on your for stepping across the line.

Chas
Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Wouldn't know what it's like to have personal insults laid on me. Must be rough.

Well, here's what I think, since you asked. We have folks here I can disagree with and yet talk to. But when we get this "yeah, if you're against the war in Iraq than I guess you're fine with ignoring murders" crap I don't see much point in having a discussion. Really, don't see much point in someone like that posting in a forum at all. There's clearly no interest in discussing anything. Just spewing nonsense. If I have to explain why there are reasonable people who could be against the war in Iraq we have work to do to get to square one. Then to come back a couple of posts later and yack about "we gotta get the spending..."

Um, okay, glad there was no "spending" in Iraq. And glad the folks who drug us over there under false pretenses didn't figure out any way to pay for it. We're really delving into some interesting stuff now. Yawn.

Like I said, I'm kinda testy right now, so don't put much stock in what I say. Chas, I'll jaw with you about issues all night. Bring Pete along and you guys can double team me. I'm fine with that. You're willing to listen to an argument and consider it. When you inevitably disagree with me you'll at least try to do it in some ostensibly logical manner.

Now, if you're defending this Truth character, you must think it's okay to shoot puppy dogs in the head. Is that it? Are you a puppy dog head shooter or do you agree with me?
Well Ed, you're right... you are kind of testy right now.

Aint' no big deal, I've been there a time or two myself.

And I don't want to come across like the owl headed cocksucker... but you're punishing yourself.

I'm not playing some "gotcha" game, you're making yourself miserable, just quit doing it.

Pay attention to what you're telling yourself. You're telling yourself you're not happy. Tell yourself you're how lucky you are. Change your train of thought.

Look at it like this. You have a damn good job, you live in a beautiful city, no doubt you're under a lot of pressure, probably most of it self induced...but look around.

There are millions of people with nothing, and no hope. They aint' got shit.

Just calm down an get your mind right. Once you realize that you're nobody or nothing, as I did, life becomes easier.

Reminds me of a story I read about Eddie Rickenbacker, back when he WAS somebody.

He showed up for an appointment, when he arrived there were a bunch of jackleg assholes in from of him tying up traffic.

So he pulled up a chair.

After a while it came his turn. When he told them who he was it was a "OMG, why didn't you SAY something!!!"

He basically replied, "Your were busy."

I've tried to emulate Edie Rickenbacker every since. And if I catch myself thinking bad thoughts (and I love it as much as the next guy), I try to force myself to think good thoughts.

Kind of like quitting smoking...it sounds so simple.

Take care, and quit punishing yourself...you don't deserve it. Make youself happy, it does require no more effort. At least not much more, only being aware of your thoughts.

Chas

PS: I have shot puppy dogs in the head , for money. I finally told the gutless bastards to kill their own dogs.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:04 AM

See. I knew you were a puppy dog killer.

I'm right. I'm always right.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 AM

Except when you're WRONG...Mbwahahahahaha...
Old 05-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

Hey guys, stop and smell the roses, we are all on the right side of the sod, that's a good thing. Where you have your loved ones working shifts that probably only let you get together weekends, that sucks, but make the most of the time together.

I spend most days in what Florence calls the dungeon working on some hunk of electronics, that gets old pretty quickly, today its 2-1/2 hours or so on the tractor getting the grass cut.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Hey guys, stop and smell the roses, we are all on the right side of the sod, that's a good thing. Where you have your loved ones working shifts that probably only let you get together weekends, that sucks, but make the most of the time together.

I spend most days in what Florence calls the dungeon working on some hunk of electronics, that gets old pretty quickly, today its 2-1/2 hours or so on the tractor getting the grass cut.
Good luck.

My last trip out to mow the lots resulted in two new blades, a new bearing housing, and three hours rebuilding the deck on my miserable rider. Plus kissing goodbye to a C note.

Tomorrow I'm out the door at 4:00 AM to drive to Springfield for my miserable RRP class, and then drive back. Should be home by 9:00 PM. $245 poorer, not including gas.

Boo, boo, hiss and boo!!!

I need to get out of here and do some work.

Later on,

Chas