Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Chas, I don't think it is so much wishing poverty on others but rather, feeling superior to those who live in poverty.
I fully agree.

Chas
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I'll tell you who says that, Chas.
It's the person in line who sneers at the mom purchasing a treat for her children with food stamps when treats are far and few between for that child.
It's the lady in the school lunch program that thinks less of your child when they get a new pair of much needed tennis shoes while on the free lunch program.
It's the soccer moms who insist the struggling mom bring team snacks that she can't afford and then talk behind her back because the snacks aren't up to their standards and how cam she afford to have her kid play soccer anyway.

That's who says that and there are a whole lot of them out there.
It's the people who think others are poor and on food stamps because they "choose to be".........

Ever listen to Limbaugh?

I'm just sayin'

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If I was really feeing trollish I'd say that giving poor folks disposable income would be a boon to smartphone sellers and beauty saloons

Maybe car audio and rim places too lol.

Although that's only partially true and I know many families where 10-12 is what they make. It's not easy... food stamps can help a lot.

This is before the contract was ratified but I know it's true at Ford:

Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Co. will increase entry-level pay by $2 to $3 an hour as part of a tentative agreement on a new four-year contract with the United Auto Workers, said two people familiar with the accord.

"Starting pay will increase to about $16 an hour from $14 and rise to about $19 an hour from a previous maximum of $16,..."

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...3-an-hour.html

Pete
Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Area Man

Cool. Maybe I should move back to Newton Falls? I see Cobalts everywhere I go these days. They must be selling.

Only problem is.....I only have one relative left there. And he's......Well, I love him, but he's an ass. And I've grown used to the city life anyways and I like it. The cornpones drive me nuts. Maybe a nice place, closer to civilization like Howland or Cortland?

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM

I don't understand why people think the poor get off so easy. Childhood was tough enough with a mother in social service, making well over the poverty line but having trouble paying the mortgage all the same. Why not buy a cheaper house? Well, because she wanted to keep me in a good school district. She's much better off now and keeping the house isn't such a struggle as it had been when I was a teenager. The irony here is that we weren't poor. I mean, not really. She had a car even if it was a piece of junk. We had a roof over our heads. I never went hungry even if the food wasn't great. In retrospect I was actually lucky.

Now, if my mother didn't have a degree, and didn't have a career, and was only making $10? My god. I can't even imagine what that would have been like, or who I would be now, where in society I would be. Would I have turned out okay? Would I have gotten mixed up in crime and went to prison?

Comments about how poor people all have cellphones, spend all their money at beauty supply stores or on car audio are just incorrect. Growing up in the working class income bracket was tough enough and has led me to appreciating what I have, where I am and what I am able to do with myself, like pursue an education. Growing up poor? Probably unimaginably terrible.

People need to get a lot more serious. Poverty isn't a joke. Poverty is terrible, dehumanizing and soul crushing.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Well at least you didn't call me racist

I appreciate you and know not all things fit everyone.

But those comments are true - to a degree. Call it a certain percentage. Many of the folks I know that make 10-12 or so often compliment their income by selling drugs on the side, particularly the younger folks. Hopefully not crack.

Dave, houses in some areas of Cleveland are unbelievably cheap. I'm talking $400 for 3 years on land contract, much cheaper still with cash.

We could hang out drink beer play music and bash politicians in general.

You might rethink stand your ground laws though

Pete
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM

I was never poor.

I always had a car to sleep in, Milk Bones to eat, and a nice creek to take a bath in.

And while I've never been poor, I've been damn near broke a time or three.

Besides, the last time I was down to under a hundred bucks, I simply explained to my boss, who wasn't paying me, why it would be in his best interests to write me a check, and one that didn't bounce.

I should have been a motivational speaker.

Chas
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Well at least you didn't call me racist

I appreciate you and know not all things fit everyone.

But those comments are true - to a degree. Call it a certain percentage. Many of the folks I know that make 10-12 or so often compliment their income by selling drugs on the side, particularly the younger folks. Hopefully not crack.

Dave, houses in some areas of Cleveland are unbelievably cheap. I'm talking $400 for 3 years on land contract, much cheaper still with cash.

We could hang out drink beer play music and bash politicians in general.

You might rethink stand your ground laws though

Pete
Yeah, but how much are the property taxes?

Chas
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LOL! I think about $20 per year Some of the houses are grand old dames too. And with a 15 year abatement on improvements you can fork over for electrified bars on windows and still come out ahead.

Seriously, one of my 'Cleveland nephews' bought a small but servicable colonial in a very old part of town, an old industrial section where they've torn down all the houses across the street. He's got 1 neighbor on each side, that's it. You'd never believe it but he's got more privacy on his front porch than I've got in my backyard out in the exurbs.

And strange but true, sunsets on the beatup street and rundown industrial buildings & old machinery have a real kind of beauty. Really.

Plus, you can throw your empty beercans in the street and feel you're doing a public service, they'll be gone in the morning You do have to worry about passing crackheads stealing your stuff though.

Pete
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
LOL! I think about $20 per year Some of the houses are grand old dames too. And with a 15 year abatement on improvements you can fork over for electrified bars on windows and still come out ahead.

Seriously, one of my 'Cleveland nephews' bought a small but servicable colonial in a very old part of town, an old industrial section where they've torn down all the houses across the street. He's got 1 neighbor on each side, that's it. You'd never believe it but he's got more privacy on his front porch than I've got in my backyard out in the exurbs.

And strange but true, sunsets on the beatup street and rundown industrial buildings & old machinery have a real kind of beauty. Really.

Plus, you can throw your empty beercans in the street and feel you're doing a public service, they'll be gone in the morning You do have to worry about passing crackheads stealing your stuff though.

Pete
Seeing as I don't have to worry about educating children anytime soon, that does sound pretty cool.