Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Had a 45-70 pistol grip Winchester (the big boy of Winchester rifles) across my knees today. Teddy Roosevelt had one. Pretty rare version of the gun that won the west. The walnut crotchwood pistol grip stock was pretty magnificent. A friend of mine is a collector of militaria, carriage mounted Gatlin, several cannons and so on. Next time I visit I'll get a chance to hold one of Buffalo Bill Cody's Winchester rifles. Cool stuff.
Finally.

A thread devoid of political talking points and misc personal bullshit.

Bob, you should consider yourself fortunate. You are being blessed with not only seeing, but being able to handle historical weapons seldom seen outside of a museum. Apparently your friend not only bores with a big auger, but has a pretty deep hip pocket as well.

Congratulations,

Chas
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Finally.

A thread devoid of political talking points and misc personal bullshit.

Bob, you should consider yourself fortunate. You are being blessed with not only seeing, but being able to handle historical weapons seldom seen outside of a museum. Apparently your friend not only bores with a big auger, but has a pretty deep hip pocket as well.

Congratulations,

Chas
I am indeed honored, Charlie. He is a very interesting gentleman of the highest caliber, pun intended.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I am indeed honored, Charlie. He is a very interesting gentleman of the highest caliber, pun intended.
I know of people who have interesting firearms, and even collectible firearms, including myself, but I know of no one (personally) who own historically significant firearms.

Seeing them in a museum is one thing...holding them in your hands is something else.

Looking back, perhaps the most interesting museum I ever went though was one which was owned by an old couple pretty close to the Little Big Horn...get it???

It was in there house, and I was to young to appreciate what they had.

The best I remember, they ha several .45-70 Trapdoors they claimed they bought from the Indians whut whooped Custer's ass.

That was Americana at it's finest. Whenever Ma & Pa and the kids could pull int to nowhere USA and see history without a stuffed shirt guide.

It was just there.

Myself, I spend my time searching for the last of Amerciana, lost fishing camps from the '50's is my specially. But they're going the way of the Dodo bird.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that the only thing constant is change. But I don't appreciate a world full of condo's with everyone in an offshore Fountain as an improvement.

And if you would like my honest opinion of what's wrong with the world....it''s too many people.

But not to worry, the Earth will shake us off like a wolf drowning lice in a river.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. it's what's gonna happen...like it or not.

Chas

PS: Previewing my work, I really shouldn't post it. But I'm good and drunk, as as honest as I' capable of, so, for what it is...it's honest.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. it's what's gonna happen...like it or not.

Chas
Don't mind if I do..
Thanks Charlie, That's some good shit!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Works for me Chas!

Pete
Old 10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Works for me Chas!

Pete
I didn't think that you partook, Pete? That's a felony in O-high-yo, ya know?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Possession in Ohio's a minor misdemeanor now, a waiverable parking ticket-ish thing, unless you're driving, then an 'administrative' 6 month suspension. Just FYI

Pete
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Admin

So, I saw my friend again for a short time the other evening. Got to hold a rifle that once belonged to Buffalo Bill Cody. Pretty damn awesome.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Admin

Buffalo Bill's rifle was a 44-40 with a trick trigger. Button underneath the lever tripped the trigger. Pretty dang cool for a kid who grew up on the Rifleman.
All it took for me to be befriended by this impressive collector is an admiration of really old junk. He used to have some mine ore carts in his front yard and he saw me leaning on his fence one day admiring them and he took a liking. It didn't hurt to have a granddad who was a founding Member of the Order of Daedalians.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Admin

My neighbor gave me some curved stripper clips and a few rounds of Lebel 1886 rifle rounds. First smokeless cartridges made. The French/Austrians sure make stuff with a certain flair, even bullets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebel_Model_1886_rifle

I'll have to see if my friend, the collector, has one of these WW1 era rifles.