Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
We should just raise the minimum wage to the equivalent of $40,000 per year, then index it for inflation. That'll fix everything.
LMAO! That'll teach 'em some economic realities.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Seriously, one of my 'Cleveland nephews' bought a small but servicable colonial in a very old part of town, an old industrial section where they've torn down all the houses across the street. He's got 1 neighbor on each side, that's it. You'd never believe it but he's got more privacy on his front porch than I've got in my backyard out in the exurbs.

And strange but true, sunsets on the beatup street and rundown industrial buildings & old machinery have a real kind of beauty. Really.

Plus, you can throw your empty beercans in the street and feel you're doing a public service, they'll be gone in the morning You do have to worry about passing crackheads stealing your stuff though.

Pete
I lived in the ghetto for a year. It was a lot of fun walking to pool halls and bars. There was always something going on at the bars. I never was hassled while walking about in that neighborhood; however, I was gone by the time crack became popular.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I think it was me who posted the Ford and GE jobs in Louisville in another post. After double checking my memory. Ford does start out at 15.51 and GE is 13.03. But ATT is 10.79 an hour. Sorry for the mistake on the amounts was going from a bad memory and no coffee yesterday morning. Still much lower then the starting salaries were just three years ago. Most people I know who lost jobs in the last few years have settled for significantly less in pay and benefits when finding new employment.

Be that the employee will now have higher healthcare costs and need to invest a larger amounts into their retirement fund then in years past I don't see an increase in pay overall.

Barney
ATT has had multiple tech positions open in various locations in Alaska for well over a year, can't find decent techs. Teamsters union job, pays $34.xx per hour. Come on up. We've got one of the highest levels of disposable income in the country.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 04-03-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
ATT has had multiple tech positions open in various locations in Alaska for well over a year, can't find decent techs. IBEW union job, pays $34.xx per hour. Come on up. We've got one of the highest levels of disposable income in the country.
Surprised no one has busted them yet. $34 an hour is just plain ridiculous. Somebody needs to stop that before it spreads. Maybe after Wisconsin throws Walker out, he can come fix that for ya?...............

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM

Don't really matter to me, I got out of the union, I can get better money negotiating on my own.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Admin

Scabs even benefit from unions, the unions do the heavy lifting (raising the base pay level) and the scabs have a better time of it.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Scabs even benefit from unions, the unions do the heavy lifting (raising the base pay level) and the scabs have a better time of it.
A scab is someone who refuses to join the union, or crosses union picket lines to work. I'm not a scab. I moved up to a non-tech position that's not union represented.
Which came first, chicken or egg? Here in Alaska, good pay came first, and the unions followed to get a piece of the pie, not the other way around.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Area Man

The union scale has no influence when salaried pay is negotiated?

Consider; Who is going to move "up" from a union scale position---for less money?

Dave
Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 AM

If unions are all that, why are they not representing these higher paying positions?

Back to the subject, what's a fair living wage? Whatever an employer and an employee agree to. Anyone working for a wage they consider "unfair" should go find a better job, or figure out how to make money themselves. Employers are there to make a profit, not to provide comfy lives for the people.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
If unions are all that, why are they not representing these higher paying positions?

Back to the subject, what's a fair living wage? Whatever an employer and an employee agree to. Anyone working for a wage they consider "unfair" should go find a better job, or figure out how to make money themselves. Employers are there to make a profit, not to provide comfy lives for the people.

Because they don't need to.... What? Corporate executives are going to unionize now?

And, on point two;

Except it doesn't work that way. Ever heard the term "prevailing wage"?
Employers survey local wages, review the range and decide where they want to be within that range. Don't tell me that's not how it works, I've sat in the meetings.

"Whatever an employer and employee agree to."? What a load. They tell you what they pay and you take it or you carry your ass. That's how the real world works for most people.

And people work to make money and pay their bills, not just to help the employer get rich.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-04-2012 at 12:20 AM.