Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Let's been honest here. Trump could dive into an icy river and save a pregnant lady from drowning and you fuckers would find a way to complain about it.
He might throw Melania in the river to save her, but he'd never get his feet wet.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:21 PM
Ready

Trump might jump into an icy river to impregnate a drowning lady....
Old 01-26-2017, 05:29 PM

He would never jump in the water in the first place....
Old 01-26-2017, 06:33 PM

Here are the government figure for trade to/from Mexico since 1985. Trump has said that we are hemorrhaging money to Mexico in an exceedingly one sided NAFTA agreement that only benefits Mexico.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c2010.html

in 2016, just over 40% of our export net was incorporated into goods that were then imported back into the US. Adjusting the trade figures using this margin corrector, we end up with the following trade balance...

Initial figures in millions
211,848.7 Exports
270,647.2 Imports
-58,798.6 Balance

Corrected Figures
211,848.7 Exports
(270,647.2 x 60%) = 162,388.32 Imports
+ 49,460.4 Balance

WOW, we have a +49.5 MILLION DOLLAR TRADE SURPLUS with Mexico! Trump lies.

Last edited by sheltiedave; 01-26-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
Here are the government figure for trade to/from Mexico since 1985. Trump has said that we are hemorrhaging money to Mexico in an exceedingly one sided NAFTA agreement that only benefits Mexico.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c2010.html

in 2016, just over 40% of our export net was incorporated into goods that were then imported back into the US. Adjusting the trade figures using this margin corrector, we end up with the following trade balance...

Initial figures in millions
211,848.7 Exports
270,647.2 Imports
-58,798.6 Balance

Corrected Figures
211,848.7 Exports
(270,647.2 x 60%) = 162,388.32 Imports
+ 49,460.4 Balance

WOW, we have a +49.5 MILLION DOLLAR TRADE SURPLUS with Mexico! Trump lies.
Hey Dave,
First I am sharp as a marble on my best days. Second, I am NO economist. But even so, I have to ask a few questions on this.

rounded off for simplicity -
$212 million for exports of which 40% will be used to purchase imports. 40% equals about $85M. Our net exports are $127M

Then the imports rounded off are $271M. Since I took the $85M out to buy imports subtract it from the cost of the imports. This gives a net cost of imports of $186M

$127M export - $186M import = -$59M net cash fllow.

Make any sense. If I am way off base or plain nuts, or have absolutely no idea what I am doing, my apologies. I am just trying to wrap my head around these numbers.

Mark
Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 PM

Mark, I meant to write 40% of our imports were first exported, so I got the wording swapped. But not the math.

Mexico turns out to be one of our largest positive balance trade partners, and Trump is trying to screw them. This is how he negotiates.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:42 PM

got it. thanks!!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:56 AM

There is a grain of truth in most all of Trump's positions. It is our job to read his statements, and then go research the actual facts ourselves, to better understand the total picture. Here is a very good article about some aspects of NAFTA, job creation, and gives you a better understanding of what can happen to the trade spiderweb when Trumps starts hacking away at the main web threads.

Like it or not, the US, Canada, and Mexico are a vastly integrated economy at this point in time. Point in fact is that US car manufacturing plants had to shut down and lay off workers following 9/11 because border security changes slowed cross border shipping down so badly the factories could not get sufficient parts with their JIT inventory models.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/u...cost.html?_r=0
Old 01-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Jigsawed

Trump is aiming for adjustments.

There is a constituency which bore the brunt of the integration. Such supports Trump. This constituency expects him to try.

At least they hope for a reduction in the chaos at the southern border.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Trump is aiming for adjustments.

There is a constituency which bore the brunt of the integration. Such supports Trump. This constituency expects him to try.

At least they hope for a reduction in the chaos at the southern border.
I am feeling your comment about reduction in chaos, but honestly I do not understand the constituency etc that you mentioned. Just trying to explain my mindspace at the moment.

When President Trump mentioned a complex payment arrangement, or whatever words he used, I envisioned a contract that says the more you help us not build a fence the less fence we will build. Man Law.

Seriously though, IMO, before we contemplate a bigger wall we need to look at NAFTA with the benefit of hindsight. We essentially have a clean house to redecorate and Mexico is staged to provide the furnishings. Are we uncomfortable with staring at a blank canvas? To me that is where the fun work is. The art. City design. Nuevo Americana?

Building a wall would simply be kicking the can of redesign down the road.