Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Admin

http://fractalplanet.wordpress.com/2...gets-it-wrong/

Check this out Mark.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Well since you INVITE rebuke...

I like watching a lot of the gloom and doom stuff. Sadly most of it is very poorly done but a little bit of it is very creative.

That said I don't truly believe anyone, including mainstream stuff. Too much money and I think people get their physic (wrong - how the &^%# do you spell 'sci-key'?) wrapped up in theories, fringe and mainstream. And we think we know a lot more than we actually do - "Oh heck we've been to the moon and have smartphones, we know everything and we're right about everything"

That said there's a million ways the universe could wipe out not just humans but the whole planet (like swatting a fly) or even the entire system. Dust in the (solar) wind.

I believe some things seem more likely than others though

My 02.

Pete
Old 07-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Admin

That's almost a nickels worth Pete.

Psyche?

Last edited by bobabode; 07-15-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I did check this out. That article has many good points, but also has its errors. Look up 350.org
This is a site that states once re pass 350 PPM of CO2, the feed back loops begin. At this point, we would have to find a way to remove the CO2 or mitigate the consequences. They did revive their estimates to 420ppm(IIRC), but even so, we are beyond that.

In that article, there is a link to how methane works. I read it carefully. His math may be correct, but his perception of how much CO2 we can handle is way off. That article stated something like 750ppm would be drastic but not catastrophic.

Here is where I get my concern, The arctic is expected to be ice free by 2016.The US Navy estimates, I am also quite certain they would base their estimates on what many scientists say. This ice free arctic should in turn change the jet stream, that will change ocean currents, and so on. By 2020 we will KNOW what is coming. It may be hard, or it may be catastrophic. I do not believe it will be business as usual by any accounts.

http://guymcpherson.com/climate-chaos/

and here is an article disputing the ice melting - EDIT: more appropriately explains the ice melting as it is
http://psc.apl.washington.edu/wordpr...olume-anomaly/

It certainly seems more scientific.

Last edited by JCricket; 07-15-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Admin

I'll give it a look see Mark. In the meantime, I agree that unless there are some major shifts in how we make electricity, i.e. low to 0 carbon, we are doomed to some fairly nasty shifts in temps and sea levels.

I was watching a climatologist on Real Time last Friday who was predicting a 70 ft. rise by the end of the century instead of the 6-7 ft. that everyone else is predicting. That put's my home 15 feet under the Pacific ocean .

It appears to me that McPherson is doing a little of his own fear-mongering which is counterproductive to working towards a whole series of solutions. I guess that's my objection to his message. It's too fatalistic.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 PM

I gave up trying to convince people long ago about the human race's march to extinction. I do my part in helping as much as possible to slow it down. But after all we as a race who advanced as hunter gathers. Using up an area and then moving on to greener pastures.

Just have run out of greener pastures and haven't adapted as of yet and don't think there will be time. Plenty of warnings but naysayers won out because it was the easy way.

Some say the ocean will be dead in less then forty years, loosing bee's at an alarming rate. Poising our water to get natural gas we don't need for energy really. Need I go on?

Barney
Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I was watching a climatologist on Real Time last Friday who was predicting a 70 ft. rise by the end of the century instead of the 6-7 ft. that everyone else is predicting. That put's my home 15 feet under the Pacific ocean .
I'll still be 25 feet to the good.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I'll still be 25 feet to the good.
Yeah but you get those things called hurricanes in the Gulf. I'll take the occasional earthquake anyday over those damn things.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I gave up trying to convince people long ago about the human race's march to extinction. I do my part in helping as much as possible to slow it down. But after all we as a race who advanced as hunter gathers. Using up an area and then moving on to greener pastures.

Just have run out of greener pastures and haven't adapted as of yet and don't think there will be time. Plenty of warnings but naysayers won out because it was the easy way.

Some say the ocean will be dead in less then forty years, loosing bee's at an alarming rate. Poising our water to get natural gas we don't need for energy really. Need I go on?

Barney

I agree.

As I said before we are in for a major bitch slap from mother nature.

But I don't think it will come to extinction, just a thinning of the herd.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I agree.

As I said before we are in for a major bitch slap from mother nature.

But I don't think it will come to extinction, just a thinning of the herd.
I feel once the facts are no longer in doubt for the heads up the a$$ now, there will be wars over the last resources. One fact remains to those who will see what I mean by this, humanity is inhumane at times. Need look at just how stupid most wars are and the destruction and aftermath to see this simple fact.

Barney