Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Loyal Opposition

Ya know, we already have a law that prohibits a United States court from enforcing Shaharia law. It's called the First Amendment. A court could no more base a ruling on Shaharia law than it could convict someone of failing to honor his father and mother. The jurisdiction of the courts extends only to the secular laws.

Regards,

D-Ray

P.S. Pete, your last post reminded me of one of my favorite bad jokes:

Two guys walk into a bar - the third guy ducks.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Taking on the belief system of the world's second biggest religion (and the religion of 2.5 million people in the US) is deliberately antagonistic and wrong-headed. If there are specific actions that conflict with our laws/values, they should be discussed on their own merits. Otherwise, that ignoramus in TN should shut his piehole.

From the cited article:

"Ketron said he and House Speaker Pro Tempore Judd Matheny, R-Tullahoma, were given the bill by the Tennessee Eagle Forum.

Eagle Forum state President Bobbie Patray said it was drafted by David Yerushalmi, an Arizona-based attorney who runs the Society of Americans for National Existence, a nonprofit that claims following Shariah is treasonous.

Yerushalmi has written for years in conservative media about what he calls the danger of Shariah and its central role in Islam. He has represented Pamela Geller, who leads the group Stop Islamization of America ..."

So the lawmaker didn't even write the legislative language, but had a group of bigoted zealots do it for him. Pandering scumbag.
"Tennessee Eagle Forum" and the "Society of Americans for National Existence", Hoo boy. The first one sounds like a Bird of Prey advocacy, the second one sounds like a bunch of apocolyptic nutbags. "The END is Nigh!!! Join us before America ceases to exist!!!!"

What's next? "The True Blue Patriotic and God Fearing Americans for Unrelenting Yankee Doodle Dandiness"?

Geez, can't anyone just love this country anymore without forming silly groups of yahoos?

Dave
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Area Man

Quote:
I think there's little doubt that the Bible (i.e., the Judeo-Christian ethic) influences our laws, for better or worse. I bet that a lot of these very same concepts are contained within the Koran as well.

As for the "scary" Sharia stuff, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that any of it would be codified in our laws. This is all right-wing boogeyman BS, just to scare the rubes into voting for the GOP. No more, no less.
Again. +1. Bravo, old boy.

Dave
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yeah, we should all go Code Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Ya know, we already have a law that prohibits a United States court from enforcing Shaharia law. It's called the First Amendment. A court could no more base a ruling on Shaharia law than it could convict someone of failing to honor his father and mother. The jurisdiction of the courts extends only to the secular laws.

Regards,

D-Ray

P.S. Pete, your last post reminded me of one of my favorite bad jokes:

Two guys walk into a bar - the third guy ducks.
Ah so counselor. And groooooaannn.

Pete
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Yeah, we should all go Code Pink
Works for me. I look just stunning in a pink dress.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Works for me. I look just stunning in a pink dress.

That's fine, it's your business. Just don't let us see any "stains" on it, we'll never let you live that down.

Dave
Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Rotflmao!!!

Pete