Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Gasoline.

Paid $2.96 a gallon Sunday. A quick look show none below $2.91 hereabouts - yet.

Pete
Old 10-14-2014, 11:35 AM

I paid $3.63 per gallon (8 cents+ for using CC) but prices here like Chicago tends to be one of the nation's highest. Watch out, Hummers may make a comeback.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Rational Anarchist

Saw $2.90 yesterday. Recent demand below expectations. Production cuts will soon drive prices up.

Last edited by nailer; 10-14-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Heard on the commie NPR today that OPEC says no way, they will not cut production.

They also said fracking in the US is largely behind world oversupply.

What do I know :shrug: I hope it hits a buck.

Pete
Old 10-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Admin

Strike while the iron is hot and bump the fuel tax rate by bringing it inline with inflation.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Saw $2.90 yesterday. Recent demand below expectations. Production cuts will soon drive prices up
No

this is the new economy with shale oil and fracking.
Saudi Arabia is planning to cut prices as a matter of fact.
Think about it...ISIS destabilizing the Middle East and prices are still dropping.
That would not have happened even 5 years ago.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Strike while the iron is hot and bump the fuel tax rate by bringing it inline with inflation.
I absolutely agree.

We should jack up the gas tax to where it is in western Europe.

That's what I would do if I were dictator.

Jack, jack, jack, jack, jack, jack, jack.

Our gas tax goes nowhere near paying for the negative impacts of the American love affair with Land Yachts.

I'd make these big ass 4X4 pickem up truck and SUV drivers feel some serious pain.

The same goes for Truckers.

It's about time they started paying their own way.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 10-14-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Sales tax is regressive, it affects the poor the worst.

Pete
Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 PM

This should also be an lesson to lefties about what the actual drivers are of oil prices. Has nothing to do with who is in the White House or which president has friends at "big oil." It always has been, and always will be, about supply and demand. Period. End of story.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102084062

The abrupt acceleration of an over 26 percent slide in prices since June was triggered by three news items that epitomized the market's turn: a downgrade in global oil consumption forecasts; projections for another big boost in shale oil; and reluctance by OPEC members to cut output.

Oil is struggling to find a floor after Saudi Arabia made clear that it was focused on maintaining market share, not supporting prices with unilateral production cuts.

Other members appear to be taking a similar tack. A source familiar with oil policy in Iran, normally one of the first in OPEC to call for production cuts, followed Kuwait in saying there was no need to rein in supplies.

"I think it's just continued the rationalization that all signs continue to suggest that OPEC is not going to do much," said Dominick Chirichella, senior partner at the Energy Management Institute, New York.

...and its that part that I bolded above as one significant reason why OPEC doesn't want to cut production and the Saudis are saying they want to "maintain market share."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
That's what I would do if I were dictator.

Frack, frack, frack, frack, frack, frack, frack.
Fixed it for you...
Old 10-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
This should also be an lesson to lefties about what the actual drivers are of oil prices. Has nothing to do with who is in the White House or which president has friends at "big oil." It always has been, and always will be, about supply and demand. Period. End of story.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102084062

The abrupt acceleration of an over 26 percent slide in prices since June was triggered by three news items that epitomized the market's turn: a downgrade in global oil consumption forecasts; projections for another big boost in shale oil; and reluctance by OPEC members to cut output.

Oil is struggling to find a floor after Saudi Arabia made clear that it was focused on maintaining market share, not supporting prices with unilateral production cuts.

Other members appear to be taking a similar tack. A source familiar with oil policy in Iran, normally one of the first in OPEC to call for production cuts, followed Kuwait in saying there was no need to rein in supplies.

"I think it's just continued the rationalization that all signs continue to suggest that OPEC is not going to do much," said Dominick Chirichella, senior partner at the Energy Management Institute, New York.

...and its that part that I bolded above as one significant reason why OPEC doesn't want to cut production and the Saudis are saying they want to "maintain market share."

Fixed it for you...
Are you ignoring the significant work that has been done on the demand side of the equation?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/bu...ards.html?_r=0

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...cafe-standards