Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Wouldn't surprise me.

The "so what" is: where is the money coming from to pay the gov't workers? If there's still anemic economic growth, and private sector employment isn't rising at a sustainable level, then there's not enough income tax money to fund the increased gov't employment.
that is basically the Hoover program to fight the Depression.......and look how it worked.

By you analysis if you were a doctor and had a patient who was bleeding to death instead of stopping the bleeding you would cut off the oxygen too....making death come much quicker.

you would not be a doctor I want to see.

your insane Whell

I mean at my MAC state university they taught macroeconics...Michigan State did not? lol

Last edited by icenine; 12-07-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

that is basically the Hoover program to fight the Depression.......and look how it worked.
Yeah, I guess it didn't work as well as the economic stimulus plan called WW II.

By the way, maybe they didn't teach history in the MAC. Far from a free-market idealist, Hoover was an ardent believer in government intervention to support incomes and employment. This is critical to understanding the origins of the Great Depression. Franklin Roosevelt didn't reverse course upon moving into the White House in 1933; he went further down the path that Hoover had blazed over the previous four years.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it didn't work as well as the economic stimulus plan called WW II.
Based on that assumption we should be in really great shape after Afghanistan and Iraq.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Based on that assumption we should be in really great shape after Afghanistan and Iraq.
Seriously? Comparing Ww II to Afghanistan and Iraq is like comparing Niagra Falls to a lawn sprinkler.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Seriously? Comparing Ww II to Afghanistan and Iraq is like comparing Niagra Falls to a lawn sprinkler.
One bloody expensive lawn sprinkler.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:

By the way, maybe they didn't teach history in the MAC. Far from a free-market idealist, Hoover was an ardent believer in government intervention to support incomes and employment. This is critical to understanding the origins of the Great Depression. Franklin Roosevelt didn't reverse course upon moving into the White House in 1933; he went further down the path that Hoover had blazed over the previous four years.
He did not blaze a trail

he was afraid to go outside the box....he was timid where Roosevelt was not.

You seen Hoover on any of our coins yet?
Old 12-08-2013, 02:38 AM
Admin

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Depression

The economy was well on it's way back before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Real nice of you to remember all those soldier's sacrifices on Pearl Harbor Day as just merely an economic stimulus plan.

FYI, They named countless hobo (aka homeless) villages, "Hoovervilles" back during the Depression. Not exactly a vote of confidence for his ship of state or his alleged ardent support of the citizenry in such dire straits. Yeh, he was a real hero of the working class.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoovervilles

FDR was a mini Hoover? That is just downright laughable. Hoover had never held office before being installed on the Republican ticket at the height of the bubble, known as the 'Roaring Twenties'. Other than being known as an efficiency expert he had bupkis experience. He was also was a frequent critic of the New Deal once he was tossed out of office.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Hoover

Nice bit of cut and paste revisionist theory there Mike. Courtesy of this guy?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Rothbard

Last edited by bobabode; 12-08-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Depression

The economy was well on it's way back before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Real nice of you to remember all those soldier's sacrifices on Pearl Harbor Day as just merely an economic stimulus plan.

FYI, They named countless hobo (aka homeless) villages, "Hoovervilles" back during the Depression. Not exactly a vote of confidence for his ship of state or his alleged ardent support of the citizenry in such dire straits. Yeh, he was a real hero of the working class.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoovervilles
Do you ever read what you post? From your Wiki link:

"The term was coined by Charles Michelson, publicity chief of the Democratic National Committee." Of course, FDR wanted to blame the Hoover administration for the economy as part of his strategy for running for office. As the saying goes, history is written by the victors. Hoover was destined to fill the role of the left's designated scapegoat.

As far as the recovery in the late '30's, the US was exporting to Europe like crazy to support the war effort. That helped GDP alot. But one in 5 Americans were still unemployed in the late '30's.

Quote:
FDR was a mini Hoover? That is just downright laughable. Hoover had never held office before being installed on the Republican ticket at the height of the bubble, known as the 'Roaring Twenties'. Other than being known as an efficiency expert he had bupkis experience. He was also was a frequent critic of the New Deal once he was tossed out of office.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Hoover

Nice bit of cut and paste revisionist theory there Mike. Courtesy of this guy?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Rothbard
In his economic policies and his incessant governmental activism, Hoover had far less in common with his Republican predecessor Calvin Coolidge than he did with his Democratic successor FDR. Coolidge made no secret of his dislike for Hoover, who served as conservative Coolidge's Secretary of Commerce. Hell, even liberal economist extraordinaire John Maynard Keynes liked Hoover.

"Coolidge was not always doctrinaire. He put aside his political conservatism on several issues, particularly when prodded by his Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover, who ironically was considered at the time to be fairly activist and progressive in his views."

"Coolidge thought Hoover boastful and derided him as "Wonder Boy." "That man," he said, "has offered me unsolicited advice every day for six years, all of it bad."

http://millercenter.org/president/co...ys/biography/4

Last edited by whell; 12-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Admin

Quote:
Do you ever read what you post? From your Wiki link:

"The term was coined by Charles Michelson, publicity chief of the Democratic National Committee." Of course, FDR wanted to blame the Hoover administration for the economy as part of his strategy for running for office. As the saying goes, history is written by the victors. Hoover was destined to fill the role of the left's designated scapegoat.

As far as the recovery in the late '30's, the US was exporting to Europe like crazy to support the war effort. That helped GDP alot. But one in 5 Americans were still unemployed in the late '30's.

In his economic policies and his incessant governmental activism, Hoover had far less in common with his Republican predecessor Calvin Coolidge than he did with his Democratic successor FDR. Coolidge made no secret of his dislike for Hoover, who served as conservative Coolidge's Secretary of Commerce. Hell, even liberal economist extraordinaire John Maynard Keynes liked Hoover.

"Coolidge was not always doctrinaire. He put aside his political conservatism on several issues, particularly when prodded by his Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover, who ironically was considered at the time to be fairly activist and progressive in his views."

"Coolidge thought Hoover boastful and derided him as "Wonder Boy." "That man," he said, "has offered me unsolicited advice every day for six years, all of it bad."

http://millercenter.org/president/co...ys/biography/4

So, now WWII was a jobs program?

The Hooverville appellation stuck though, now didn't it.

By the way Mike I reed reel gud. Coming from the dude who used to post up headlines and obviously not read past the teaser? I'll just say, how ironic.

Last edited by bobabode; 12-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
The Hooverville appellation stuck though, now didn't it.

By the way Mike I reed reel gud. Coming from the dude who used to post up headlines and obviously not read past the teaser? I'll just say, how ironic.
It stuck for Dems. And, if you want to pick up others bad habits, that's up to you. But thanks for admitting that your earlier post was a dud.