We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:23 PM

When did health care become a "right"?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I would say the day you were born, but most conservatives say it starts even before that. In fact, they insist on providing it for the unborn. It's just after they pop out they want to cut them lose. Hey, those babies should take some personal responsability!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM

So, who gives us that "right"?

I think health care and protection from being murdered by having a steel spike shoved your brain are two completely different things. Try to focus on just the one for a post or two.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
It is not necessarily a "right" but universal health care is simply good sense. Our greatest natural resource is our citizens, does it not simply make good sense to conserve that resource? We maintain our bridges and roads (well we used to until the GOP made us a third world country). Should we not also maintain our citizens.

It made good sense to the Conservative party in Canada, that is why they instituted the Single Payer plan.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
It is not necessarily a "right" but universal health care is simply good sense. .
This is a decent argument, and I would agree whole heartedly agree but for the fact that our government is a sick, twisted collection of power hungry, lieing, incompetent, fools. If I was foolish enough to think for one second that our government as it is could do a better job than the private sector, I'd say go for it. There is too much proof in the history that says otherwise (IMO).
Old 10-01-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
This is a decent argument, and I would agree whole heartedly agree but for the fact that our government is a sick, twisted collection of power hungry, lieing, incompetent, fools. If I was foolish enough to think for one second that our government as it is could do a better job than the private sector, I'd say go for it. There is too much proof in the history that says otherwise (IMO).
Show me the bill that proposes a government run health care system that you would have to use. While, personally, I'm all for a single payer system that seems to work so well for so many other countries, I see no legislation proposed that would give us that.

So be against single payer if you like. But please consider supporting legislation that would prevent insurance companies dropping people if they get sick, prevent insurance companies from denying coverage for "pre-existing conditions" and allows people to keep their insurance if they lose their jobs. You know, since it has nothing to do with the concerns you are expressing.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
If I was foolish enough to think for one second that our government as it is could do a better job than the private sector, I'd say go for it.
The interstate highway system.
The CDC.
The space program.
Medicade.
The FAA.
The Millitary.
Social Security.
Postal Service.

Why do we continue to propogate the lie that the Governmet can't do anything? It's a slap in the face to every patriotic American. Canada can do health care but we can't? Nothing against Canada, but yeah, I think we can manage it. But I don't even have to look that far. Medicare provides health coverage that is less expensive than private insurance. I don't have to ask "can our government provide health care?" They're doing it. And it does work.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
If I was foolish enough to think for one second that our government as it is could do a better job than the private sector, I'd say go for it.
I think you ought to do some research.

I don't know anyone that wants to change Medicare. I know tons of folks who are very upset with their health care.

I just don't understand why folks are so determined to have other folks get rich keeping them healthy.

Take profit out of health care.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:41 PM

My first answer would be to say common decency. If we have the ability to cure an illness, it seems like we should. But I know that's not what you’re looking for.

Okay, how about this. The Supreme Court has ruled that denying health care to prisoners is cruel and unusual punishment. In other words, prisoners have a right to health care. Wouldn't logic dictate that if the people who are incarcerated for breaking our laws have a right to health care, that right should be extended to law abiding citizens?

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 09-30-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
My first answer would be to say common decency. If we have the ability to cure an illness, it seems like we should. But I know that's not what your looking for.

Okay, how about this. The Supreme Court has ruled that denying health care to prisoners is cruel and unusual punishment. In otherwords, prisoners have a right to health care. Wouldn't logic dictate that if the people who are incarserated for breaking our laws have a right to health care, that right should be extended to law abiding citizens?
Prisoners for the most part are "imprisoned". That means we have taken away their ability to fend for themselves. That's why they call them wards of the state.