Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
My biggest complaint with the Democrats is that they are up to their eyeballs in corporate money. It's just that the GOP is buried in it.

I am also disappointed that the single payer never made it into a draft of the health care law.

I am uneasy about the use of the drones. I can see the practical reasons for going after al queada operatives in that way, but I can also see the tables being tuned on us. While civilians have died when in the line of fire of drones targeted at terrorist leaders, I can see civilians as the actual targets when and if opponents of the US develop the capability to retaliate in kind.

Regards,

D-Ray
I can see a day when this will be civilian citizens here in the US. Give them an inch and they will take more than a mile.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I think we need a multi-partisan effort to put forth legislation that if there is no budget, then there is no money.
Great way to f%ck up our bond rating some more.

John
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Great way to f%ck up our bond rating some more.

John
Smoke and mirrors. I wonder what my credit rating would be if I had more debt than income and continued to spend more than I made?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Registered Democrat all my life, but on occasion vote for a Republican. The Democrat party has sold out not knowing for sure if because of all the money needed now to campaign or to enrich themselves, both more then likely.

The national party with it's allowing the big banks to at the most get a slap on the wrist over the meltdown and feeding the vast military complex ever more. They have lost their way, then showing a total lack of a backbone when up against the TP Republicans made me question support. But given the lack of choices I will have to go with the Democrats for now.

On local elections here one needs to do their homework due to the DINO's who try to slip by. But I live in a area with a strong vocal Tea Party movement that will disrupt public forums so I don't go much. Had two friends who cars were keyed at local events probably because of Obama stickers. No one saw anything of course.

Barney
Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Had two friends who cars were keyed at local events probably because of Obama stickers. No one saw anything of course.
I don't do bumper stickers any more. Even in the PRC the cops tend to be wing nuts. I've been pulled over and hassled for no reason I can determine other than my "Obama '08" and "Turn Off Fox News" stickers (both gone now). I even got a ticket because my 2" trailer ball "obscured" my license plate.

John
Old 09-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Both parties have sold out to business, the Repulicans 100%, the Democrats 85%. The GOP says that the Dems have an anti-business attitude, guess they are complaining about the 15% who won't sell out.

Frankly it is business that has an anti-American attitude, after the CEO, the Board, the Shareholders, America is way down on their list of priorities.

I see "Holier than Thou" Ralphie Reed has ressurected himself. He and Super Grover were so tied up with Jack Abramoff as the University Republicans, and every illegal scheme that trio got into they have absolutely no shame.
I recall some years ago, the CEO of Boeing commenting that his companies primary resposibility is to the stockholders, not to any specific country, including this one. I guess, technically, he's right. But, it's a hell of a note to think that one of our largest defense contractors claims no loyalty to this country........

Dave
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I recall some years ago, the CEO of Boeing commenting that his companies primary resposibility is to the stockholders, not to any specific country, including this one. I guess, technically, he's right. But, it's a hell of a note to think that one of our largest defense contractors claims no loyalty to this country........

Dave
Legally he's right. Pretty fucked up, isn't it?

John
Old 09-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Dave
And this is the way I view all publicly traded companies. Many stock holders are the same. They will say they love this country but if that 401K starts losing money they will not give two shits about what the company does to make sure their stock rises in value daily.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
And this is the way I view all publicly traded companies. Many stock holders are the same. They will say they love this country but if that 401K starts losing money they will not give two shits about what the company does to make sure their stock rises in value daily.
Most 401k holders have little idea what individual stocks they own. Their money is largely invested by someone else who puts it in multiple funds comprised of various and sundry stocks. I have two 401ks (And a Roth IRA) totaling a substantial balance. At any given moment, I could indirectly own stock in hundreds or even thousands of different companies that I am totally unaware of.

So, only those who pick specific companies to invest in and vote on actions that that company takes would fit your description. 401k owners are generally oblivious to the behaviour of each and every company they are invested in.

Dave
Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
"He is a bad version of us. No more money for him!" - Jack Abramoff on Ralph Reed.

The Moyers show can be seen in full here.

http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-s...of-ralph-reed/

John
If you watch this, watch the whole thing. The second half is an interview with Mike Lofgren, a life-long Republican and former Capitol Hill staffer and author of a new book titled "The Party is Over: How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless, and the Middle Class Got Shafted". It's definitely worth seeing.

John