Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Admin

Unintended consequences of the looming sequester

So, I'm going thru my emails tonite and there's one from my favorite congressman from Florida.

"
Dear Bob :

As we approach the self-immolation known as "The Sequester," I find myself thinking about a woman in West Africa, asking people, "Would you like to buy a pen?"

She was a middle-aged woman, wearing a bright-colored dress. Judging by wear and tear, it may have been the only dress she owned.

She was standing on the steps in front of a small department store, which was selling pens by the dozen. She repeated softly, in French, to passers-by, "Voulez-vous acheter une plume?" And she held up a pen.

I didn't need a pen, but I did need to know what she was up to. I asked her how much her pen cost. She quoted a fair price. I gave her that much, plus some more. She gave me a pen that I didn't need. And she had enough money to eat something that day. Or so she said, en francais.

Back to "The Sequester," the 12% budget cut for the military (leaving aside soldier pay and benefits), and the 9% budget cut for other federal programs (leaving aside Medicare and Social Security). Opponents of The Sequester are focusing on the military cuts. Their theory seems to be that the American public has been signing blank checks made out to "DoD" for so long that there is no way that we'll stop now. Or maybe they think that we will subliminally translate the words "defense cuts" into "some crazy Arab is going to blow me up" without anyone actually having to say that, much less make the case for it.

I have a nodding acquaintance with polling, so I understand that foreign aid might be the least popular federal program right now, second only to black helicopters. But our immunization program alone saves three million lives each year. Our emergency food assistance program fed more than 66 million starving people last year. Possibly including the lady who sold me that pen.

And the total cost of all that food was equal to one-sixteenth of a new aircraft carrier. In fact, for the cost of one aircraft carrier, we could feed every hungry person in the entire world.

So let's see. A nine percent cut in the foreign aid budget means that six million more people go hungry. And American taxpayers save 44 cents a month. Not even enough to buy one hamburger.

Further translating this into Americanese, give some thought as to what The Sequester will do to the food stamp program, or the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program. A lot of Americans will be going to bed cold and hungry.

I know that I will never see that lady with the pen again. Even though I remember her, she probably doesn't remember me - if she is still alive. She is not going to vote for me, and she is not going to contribute to my next campaign. Nor will her relatives, nor will her friends. I'm not sure why I cared whether or not she was hungry, but I did, and I do. It's just part of being human, I guess.

So here is one argument against The Sequester that you're not hearing elsewhere - it will cause a lot of pain. A lot of hunger, a lot of disease, a lot of death. I understand that this argument is hopelessly unfashionable, and completely contrary to the zeitgeist of fear and hatred that dominates our political discourse. But there it is, nevertheless. I sure see it. Maybe you do, too.

Courage,

Rep. Alan Grayson"

Thanks Mr. Grayson. Now I have something more to be pissed off about.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Area Man

Bob, Bob, Bob...........

You're not supposed to give a damn about African women selling pens, or starving kids in South America or even those who go hungry here. But, you are supposed to support more carriers, more bombs, more guns and less "welfare". Think, my good man; WWJD?

Dave
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 AM

I guess I want my cake and to eat it too. I am a Federal employee of the US navy. The sequester will most likely not effect me because I work in health care. But it could cause a double dip recession. You can hate the Federal government, and think that less money in any Feds pocket is good, and think what a victory it is for the Tea Party to slash everything. But less money means less consumption means less in the economy means less jobs and will hit everyone negatively in the long run. If the defense industry slows down it will travel across the nation.....

we need more houses and more car notes not less
Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Bob, Bob, Bob...........

You're not supposed to give a damn about African women selling pens, or starving kids in South America or even those who go hungry here. But, you are supposed to support more carriers, more bombs, more guns and less "welfare". Think, my good man; WWJD?

Dave
What would John do? Boreas?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Area Man

I was, in a fashion, poking fun at the ironic nature of modern conservatism.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I was, in a fashion, poking fun at the ironic nature of modern conservatism.

Regards,
Dave
Conservatives don't do irony. It's far too confusing.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If the system crashes a lot of people will go hungry.

Pete
Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
So, we prevent said starvation by spending another 30 billion building an aircraft carrier? Maybe in Newport News.....temporarily.

Actually....have you ever been to Newport News? I used to live there. Defense spending there seems to do just about nothing for them either. It is a Right to Work state after all..........so the poor stay poor. Employed, sure. But poor nonetheless.

You may find that out soon enough if Mr. Kasich has his way. I love the discussion on my Facebook page this morning. Apparently, the Governor of Ohio had his "State of the State Adress" yesterday and my Ohio friends and family are wondering WTF he was talking about. Oh, that's right, Republicans NEVER lie. So, if he says it, it must be so....................

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-20-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
There's alot of hungry folks right now, and the system is alive and well. Maybe we need to crash the system to fix it?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
What would John do? Boreas?
He'd probably try to correct her spelling or grammar.