Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Am I to understand that you're OK with their business practices?

There are many Pharmaceutical Companies, and I am sure that not all of them are objectionable.

But I do understand that if I spent millions of dollars to develop a product that I would want to advertise it before I lost my patent and or exclusivity of the product.

No finn, I do not approve of all the practices of some of the Pharmaceutical Companies, if I knew all of the practices of every company, I may not agree with them either.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
But I do understand that if I spent millions of dollars to develop a product that I would want to advertise it before I lost my patent and or exclusivity of the product.
Not to say that pharmaceutical manufacturers do no research but most of the real research is done by the NIH, CDC and American universities (with government funding). Much of the research that pharma does is figuring out how to change one molecule or one ingredient in a particular product, without materially affecting its efficacy, so that they can get a patent on a "new" drug. They do this when the patent on one of their drugs is about to expire or when they want to cut into the market share of a competitor with a "hot" new drug.

John
Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Not to say that pharmaceutical manufacturers do no research but most of the real research is done by the NIH, CDC and American universities (with government funding). Much of the research that pharma does is figuring out how to change one molecule or one ingredient in a particular product, without materially affecting its efficacy, so that they can get a patent on a "new" drug. They do this when the patent on one of their drugs is about to expire or when they want to cut into the market share of a competitor with a "hot" new drug.

John
Yep, that is exactly right.

Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:

John
Even more common and without cost is to take two drugs with expired patents and put them in one and get a new patent. Doctors just go along and prescribe the new one instead of the two old ones.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Even more common and without cost is to take two drugs with expired patents and put them in one and get a new patent. Doctors just go along and prescribe the new one instead of the two old ones.
That says quite a bit about our antiquated system of patents IMHO and its current lack of ability to distinguish between newness and lack thereof.

The Pharma industry, like all industries, has both good and bad actors; however, their ability to bring useful products to market has helped more than hindered IMHO. Furthermore, at some level virtually all technological advancement can be traced to seminal research at academic institutions. In Pharma, the big mistakes get publically aired and damage the industry's PR to a higher degree than in, say, the computer industry. I suspect that this is a result of the inherent stakes involved and our collective notion that medicine and health are different economically than other technological industries. That is, health and medicine appeal to our altruistic spirit and our concomitant notions of fairness and justice.

Last edited by bhunter; 07-05-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post

The Pharma industry, like all industries, has both good and bad actors; however, their ability to bring useful products to market has helped more than hindered IMHO. .
I wonder.

There is no data for us to have a definitive answer on this as big pharma is to efficient at dismissing all the deaths their products cause.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:

John

Well John,

I would start writing the FDA, after all they approve all new drugs. And if they are approving drugs like that, then call your Representatives and tell them to stop the FDA from doing business in that manner.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Well John,

I would start writing the FDA, after all they approve all new drugs. And if they are approving drugs like that, then call your Representatives and tell them to stop the FDA from doing business in that manner.
From exactly where do you think our representatives get the money for election time?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
From exactly where do you think our representatives get the money for election time?

That is why I posted this post Merrylander, and you answered all the questions !

Everyone has their hands out, and they are greedy and want all that they can get.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
That is why I posted this post Merrylander, and you answered all the questions !

Everyone has their hands out, and they are greedy and want all that they can get.
Well there is some hanky panky going on with the middlemen (God that's all this country does - middlemen). Florence phoned the new Walgren's that opened about a year ago - same prescription the old drugstore wanted $500 for Walgren's will sell it to her for $283.

So it is not only the foreign Pharmas but our own countrymen screwing us. I guess I was right, this place does run on the Jack System.

Oops my error it is the new Wegmans that just opened here, not Walgren's

Last edited by merrylander; 07-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.