in keeping this site going.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 PM

It seems pretty cut and dried to me.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Leave me alone, and I won't put a conibear trap in your mailbox."

Chas
Man, those things were WICKED!!!!!! But give me a foothold trap for my enemies......BWWHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Last edited by epifanatic; 08-31-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Area Man

Quote:

Chas
Precisely.

Dave
Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
We've had such a law for a long time, it's referred to as the separation of church and state.

So, if a Christian runs, they check their values at the door, but if an atheist runs, they can act how they choose? That sounds like a serious restriction on personal freedom.

Of course, we can always look to the fine examples of atheist States in history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by epifanatic View Post
Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from prescribing even those occasional performances of devotion, practiced indeed by the Executive of another nation as the legal head of its church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
Jan.1.1802

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
[Treaty of Tripoli 1796]
"
— George Washington
Take a very hard look at that letter. He is assuring the church that the government won't interfere, as well as the other way around. Various denominations were worried that Congress would attempt to sanction a state church. A legitimite worry, as they had a Chaplain on their payroll from day one.

Let's take a look at that whole Tripoli quote:

"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

A bit different. And certainly not written by Washington BTW, although undoubtably approved by him. Though it really doesn't matter.

Quote:

Chas
Can we fire the lawyers and send you to Washington?

Pete
Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
So, if a Christian runs, they check their values at the door, but if an atheist runs, they can act how they choose?
To the extent he wishes to impose those values upon me, yes.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

What about an atheists' values? All law is legislated morality.

Pete
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
What about an atheists' values? All law is legislated morality.

Pete
By definition, atheists have no "religious" values to impose.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
So, if a Christian runs, they check their values at the door, but if an atheist runs, they can act how they choose? That sounds like a serious restriction on personal freedom.

Pete
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

[edit: Finn] What - murder? Rape? We gonna make you be baptised? No! It burns! AAAAAaaahhhhhrrg

Because I take my values from the Bible doesn't make my take on the economy, or child spanking, or goat testicle research any less valid than say Lenins'. Or are we going to enforce conformity?

Which atheists are the Dems running again?

Pete
Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
[edit: Finn] What - murder? Rape? We gonna make you be baptised? No! It burns! AAAAAaaahhhhhrrg

Because I take my values from the Bible doesn't make my take on the economy, or child spanking, or goat testicle research any less valid than say Lenins'. Or are we going to enforce conformity?

Which atheists are the Dems running again?

Pete
It's a sad truth that in order to be President of the US, one has to be a Protestant (Kennedy excepted), or at least pretend to be one. It's the whole "wearing religion on one's sleeve" a la Bachmann/Perry that I find so distasteful.

This just in - Perry's campaign song is "Jesus Loves Me But He Can't Stand You" by the Austin Lounge Lizards.