Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2023, 04:08 PM

Assault weapons

I know many of you guys support gun ownership in general. But What do you think about the ban on assault weapons that Biden is trying to get Congress to act on?
Old 03-27-2023, 04:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'm for it. I've been a gun owner for 60 years and could live with the idea of no autoloading firearms and a low magazine capacity limit (~5 rounds). There's nothing you can't do with such a weapon other than the spray-and-pray that autoloading weapons with high capacity magazines are made for.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:47 PM
Admin

No guns here. I'm fully behind keeping weapons of war out of civilian's hands.

Hi Barbara. Good to see you.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:51 PM

100% in favor, even more so since a local kid killed 7 people and maimed many more at our local 4th of July parade this past summer.

No need for civilians to have such weapons IMO.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Ready

The upside of civilians owning a rapid fire, rapidly reloadable, efficient killing tool like an AR-15 is that some big boys get to enjoy playing with a military toy, and indulge in various power fantasies. The downside is that those boys who get crazy can easily kill lots of people before they are stopped.

The upside does not seem worth the downside.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:10 PM

The thing I notice when guns are the issue is that for many it is an either or reaction. Mention reasonable gun laws and the fanatics think all guns will be taken from them.
I have been watching tv about the latest shooting. I am just frustrated and saddened by the news.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
The thing I notice when guns are the issue is that for many it is an either or reaction. Mention reasonable gun laws and the fanatics think all guns will be taken from them.
I have been watching tv about the latest shooting. I am just frustrated and saddened by the news.
They think that because that's the narrative the NRA and the gun industry pushes.

Few are actually pushing for total gun bans, but you'd never know it by listening to the NRA.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:39 PM

It never occurred to me that the NRA pushed that idea. How dumb am I. That makes so much sense.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:02 PM

The NRA says jump and Republican legislators say "How high?".
Old 03-27-2023, 06:30 PM

Firearm owner since boyhood and own a AR15 style weapon with 30 round mags.

Would I give it up?
Of course if the country enacted legislation requiring this for everyone. Would expect some sort of compensation. Tax rebate or the likes.

I'm in favor of having all who want to own any firearm pass a background check. Take weapon safety training and show proficiency in their use. Then be licensed, permitted and also carry liability insurance. A one going requirement.

All sales require paperwork and background checking. Even at gun shows or private sales.
The need to go to a local PD and have it transferred.

Strictly enforced!

As a owner of these weapons, not for hunting rather as sport shooting. Target practice and getting together with friends. Have a much fun with the Black ,.22's as the 30-06's, 556's.

The feel has changed over the years when shooting at gun ranges. Today there are many new shooters buying weapons with little background knowledge. Ignorant of safety or proper weapon maintenance. many a time I will leave the range due to unsafe shooters. Playing rapid fire, video game movie type shooting.