Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
A Z-260 or Z-280 perhaps? Great cars.

Darn Japs and their great cars

Pete
Z something i believe 40? or 60 sounds right
Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator

My pops has a B210 wagon. Bet that thing had 300K on it when he sold it.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Resident octogenarian

Big deal, our Impalas get 29 MPG highway and have a 5 star crash rating but unlike the Volvo 8nn it does not cost $3600 for repairing a 5 MPH front end crash as the insurance testers found out.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
You got me. What car in the seventies got 26 mpg?
You kidding? My dad's old 2.0 '72 Capri got 30. I'm sure all manner of Pintos, Fiestas, Chevettes, Monzas, Hondas, Toyotas, etc., etc., etc., etc. got 26 + MPG.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writewing View Post
Lexus 400H
Ahhh. Poor Lexus 400H owner. Can't afford anything.

Hybrid SUVs have little to do with saving gas, money or the planet. All that technology and they can't get the mileage of a Honda CRX HF from the 80s. People who are buying a Lexus 400H are buying a fashion statement. Somewhere to put their PITA bumber sticker.

I actually have been keeping an eye on old Preiusss. I'm surprised how affordable it is to put a new batter in one in the aftermarket. I'm hoping in a few years there will be a buch of cheap ones needing batteries and I'll scoop one up, fix it and have a nice cheap ride.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post

Hybrid SUVs have little to do with saving gas, money or the planet. All that technology and they can't get the mileage of a Honda CRX HF from the 80s. People who are buying a Lexus 400H are buying a fashion statement. Somewhere to put their PITA bumber sticker.

I actually have been keeping an eye on old Preiusss. I'm surprised how affordable it is to put a new batter in one in the aftermarket. I'm hoping in a few years there will be a buch of cheap ones needing batteries and I'll scoop one up, fix it and have a nice cheap ride.
I have been curious about the replacement cost of the batteries. Last I heard they were huge money.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post

I guess folks cant want for nice things and also try to save some fuel in the bargain even if it isnt really worth it. Also I find it comical you compare a 2 wheel drive sub compact that has a 4 cyl engine with a mid sized all wheel drive SUV with a 6cyl engine.,,,there are likely some monkey's that could figure out they are not in the same ballpark to compare.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I have been curious about the replacement cost of the batteries. Last I heard they were huge money.
Man, from the dealer they are insane. But after market guys are popping up now and they are *much* cheaper. There is a guy selling the second gen battery technology for the first gen Prius for about $1200. If you get the car for cheap you could make a pretty nice ride.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writewing View Post
I guess folks cant want for nice things and also try to save some fuel in the bargain even if it isnt really worth it. Also I find it comical you compare a 2 wheel drive sub compact that has a 4 cyl engine with a mid sized all wheel drive SUV with a 6cyl engine.,,,there are likely some monkey's that could figure out they are not in the same ballpark to compare.
I'm just saying 20 years of technology and all that extra crap, shouldn't it be better than any "regular" car? What's the point of all that stuff if you're only going to get 35 MPG? The *point* of a hybrid is to use less gas. If you aren't using less gas why get one?

I don't really care if people want to buy them. It's their money. But I'd like it if someone would make the equivalent of the '88 CRX but with all the hybrid mpg. It should be able to get 80 mpg or more I would think. Where is that car?