Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Gov't Money for Washing Machines?

Can you guys help me out?

flacaltenn often refers to federal money going towards washing machines. I have no idea what he is talking about. Any of you guys know?

I considered just sending him a PM and asking but then thought what the heck, this might be a question that others have too.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Admin

Maybe he's talkiing about rebate programs for Energy Star compliant washers? http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...locator_submit
Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Can you guys help me out?

flacaltenn often refers to federal money going towards washing machines. I have no idea what he is talking about. Any of you guys know?

I considered just sending him a PM and asking but then thought what the heck, this might be a question that others have too.
Are you sure he's not talking about the regulations that ruined washing machines?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...717670514.html
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Are you sure he's not talking about the regulations that ruined washing machines?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...717670514.html
The author that of that story is a hack and a shill, Was. Just a PSA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competi...rise_Institute
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
He mentioned an amount, $120, which leads me to believe he was referring to a tax incentive or subsidy program, not efficiency legislation.

Good find, though. Bobabode too. I don't know jack about this washing machine stuff. I tried searching the topic and came up empty handed.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:06 PM

I know I've heard a lot of horror stories about the front loading machines leaving standing water, resulting in mildewy smelling clothes. They even sell products specifically to help with the odor.

Also, the wife and I recently bought a new fridge, and while shopping we checked out the washing machines because ours is about 15 yrs old now.
You can't find a standard upright any more that has a real agitator. They're all these big baskets with a measly little thing in the bottom about the size of a hubcap off a Mercury. No wonder clothes aren't getting clean.

And maybe that writer is a hack, but he's right about the toilets too. I went through that about 12 years ago. Ended up driving to Canada to buy a real toilet that can flush a turd.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I know I've heard a lot of horror stories about the front loading machines leaving standing water, resulting in mildewy smelling clothes. They even sell products specifically to help with the odor.

Also, the wife and I recently bought a new fridge, and while shopping we checked out the washing machines because ours is about 15 yrs old now.
You can't find a standard upright any more that has a real agitator. They're all these big baskets with a measly little thing in the bottom about the size of a hubcap off a Mercury. No wonder clothes aren't getting clean.

And maybe that writer is a hack, but he's right about the toilets too. I went through that about 12 years ago. Ended up driving to Canada to buy a real toilet that can flush a turd.
I have a front loading Kenmore washer that is made in Germany (Europe) where most of the high efficiency, high capacity washers are made. No problem with standing water.

The Clothes are almost dry when the come out due to the high RPM spin cycle. That equals less time in the dryer.

The Maytag front loading machines had big problems and they went to a new design, top loading model, to solve the problem. Perhaps that is what you where thinking of.

I am working on 10 years with the current washer and not a single problem. It is built like a tank and cost as much as a tank.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:06 PM

There is some very limited and restricted funds for appliances for specific populations. Having said that, I've never heard of washing machines being purchased with these funds. (not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it). Typically this kind of funding is used for heaters, fans, weatherizing homes, etc.... Things that make people safer in their homes or that are life sustaining.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
There is some very limited and restricted funds for appliances for specific populations. Having said that, I've never heard of washing machines being purchased with these funds. (not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it). Typically this kind of funding is used for heaters, fans, weatherizing homes, etc.... Things that make people safer in their homes or that are life sustaining.
Unfortunately for me I seem to be a year ahead of the government incentives. I installed 14 Pella double hung, argon filled, low E, double pane, wood windows, in my house the year before a government incentive came out to install energy efficient windows, doors,and other energy saving appliances and insulation. The same thing happened with my 90+ gas furnace and 13 SEER condenser.

I am going to write Obama and ask him were my stuff is. I want an Obamaphone and some of that Obamamoney since I have lost out on so many government "handouts".
Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 PM

We are dealing with our first front loader. The stink happens if the door is left closed. It is air tight and turns the drum into a big anaerobic petri dish. Leave the door open until the drum is dry and problem solved.

Top loaders do not have the stink problem because their door is not air tight.

Too funny on the Canadian toilets. Detroiters routinely make runs to Windsor for good old fashioned pots.