Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I didn't have to. The "turn to the government for the solution to everything" crowd already has.

Section 4205 of the new health reform law, which requires chain restaurants and vending machines to provide nutrition notices, instructs the HHS Secretary to:

Consider standardization of recipes and methods of preparation, in reasonable variation in serving size and formula of menu items, space on menus and menu boards, inadvertent human error, training of food service workers, variations in ingredients…"

Also:

http://food.change.org/blog/view/unh...kids_fast_food

And I love this one: Let's make Ronald McDonald the next Joe Camel:

http://www.law.uconn.edu/system/file...ate/munger.pdf
Right, the cigarette companies have not been directing their advertising toward teenagers, of course not. You seem to want no control over what corporations do. Do you truly believe they are these kindly old gents (Colonel Saunders) who would never resort to anything underhanded. They will never invest in psychological research to figure out what sort of advertising will influence people the most. Sorry but you are not about to teach this grandfather how to suck eggs.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Without knowing the specifics - and I don't want to ask because its none of my business - there's no way to know. I just had a blood draw as well performed at the U of M hospital system, and the cost was stunning.

P.S. - its really hard to admit that, as a Michigan State fan, I go to U of Michigan Health system for a much of my health care.
One testube (small) of blood to test for the level of one compound. I realize that some of their equipment may be expensive but why should we pay for all of it? No justification that I can see,
Old 10-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I have seen several articles over time that stated that the major oil companies have hundreds of land leases that they have yet to turn the first shovel in.
Yes, but the reason for this is often that the cost of extraction is too high for the amount of oil that is available on those parcels.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Yes, but the reason for this is often that the cost of extraction is too high for the amount of oil that is available on those parcels.

Really, so why did they take out the lease. I have seen at first hand how their seismological investigation is done, quite accurate in showing how much oil is likely there. Oh but then those offshore drilling platforms are so inexpensive to operate.

Last edited by merrylander; 10-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Oh, my God. Do you really want to know? 'Cuz it is likely politically suicide.

First, we have to identify the right targets that are impacting our frustrations with the current system. Its not "big Pharm", nor "Big Insruance", nor anything similar. Its more like "Big Us", you and me.

For example, and this does paint with a bit of a broad brush, but we're a sick society that's getting seemingly sicker by the day. We don't take very good care of ourselves, but we expect everyone else to. We eat junk that's full of fat and sugar. We weight a lot more than our frame and circulatory systems can support. We smoke, we drink and we cap it off by crashing on the couch at night watching "The Biggest Loser", or letting our kids sit on their rears and play video games. We stay indoors more than we go outdoors, and the most polluted air you can find anywhere on the planet, with the possible exception of downtown Beijing, is the indoor air in the home of the average American.

New diagnoses of obesity, diabetes, cancer, autism, food and environmental allergies are skyrocketing. Diabetes is a disease that was almost unheard of in children, but now its quite common. So, unfortunately are various forms of cancer.

In the meantime, demand for health care has increases exponentially, as shown below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:He...ts_USA_GDP.gif

The challenge with healthcare is pretty simple, really. Its a cost issue driven by demand. Basic economics applies to the healthcare market just as it does any other market. As demand rises, cost (price) rise as well. Reduce demand, costs come down. The best way to impact cost in healthcare is to reduce demand for services, which means that - and here comes the political suicide part - we need to address the issues in this country that impact the unique health issues that impact the citizens of this country.

This is why I also think its folly to address the unique health issues in this country by adopting health care delivery models that are in place elsewhere.

This is where I'd start. I'd also, if king for a day:

- outlaw group health insurance plans
- re-institute rigorous youth phys ed requirements
- allow insurance carriers to require health screenings before writing medical insurance policies, and charge premiums that are appropriate based on the physical condition of the insured. This is not to say that an individual with a particular health condition would not be insured, but the carrier could charge more if the individual maintains an unhealthy lifestyle.
- Individuals would respond to physician guidance to quit smoking, reduce alcohol consumption, eat healthy, etc, would see their premiums reduced.

There's lots more, but you get the idea. Bottom line, live healthy and "Big Pharma" doesn't get to take a chunk out of your wallet, unless you let them.
THANK YOU, SIR!!!!

Even though I may not agree entirely with some of the ideas you put forth here, it is truly refreshing to get a thought out, logical and rational response.
This board isn't too bad, but you may not know how many totally idiotic, irrational and nonsensical responses my simple question has gotten in other discussion sites. It's unbelieveable just how many clueless and downright abusive jackasses there are in this country.

Me; "You dislike the current plan. That's understandable. So, what are your ideas?"

Moron; "I WORK HARD, LOVE AMERICA AND MY FAMILY AND JESUS, YOU
FUCKING COMMUNIST AMERICA HATING PROGRESSIVE FAGGOT!"

Me; "Oh, okay. I see. Nevermind."

You and I don't always agree, Whell. And sometimes my humor, temper, or bluntness might sting a little. But you're alright for a righty. You and Pete. And Chas, but he bailed on us.

Dave

BEACH TIME! See ya later Fellas!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think Whell describes an admirable and desirable end-state condition. However, America has become enamored of processed foods since just after WWII with "advances" in food processing. American food "manufacturers" are certainly as guilty for the current state of health in the US as Big Pharma or Big Insurance. However, the opponents of Health Care Reform (i.e., the GOP), not to mention farm state Democrats, would go apoplectic about trying to reign in the abuses of the food industry.

Plus, the insurance reforms suggested by Whell (pricing in accordance with lifestyle) only addresses part of the problem. Should we raise premiums for people who live downwind of powerplants or downriver from chemical plants? Should we do DNA analysis and raise rates for those genetically predisposed to disease? Or maybe blacks due to increased rates of sickle cell anemia and high blood pressure?
We don't need to go to that extreme with it. I think that combining effective wellness programs with insurance programs that are priced in accordance with risk at the individual level will foster changes in unhealthy behavior. This should be sufficient to drive down costs in a sustainable manner.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Really, so why did they take out the lease. I have seen at first hand how their seismological investigation is done, quite accurate in showing how much oil is likely there. Oh but then thos offshore drilling platforms are so inexpensive to operate.
Do with this what you will. The government leases the land to the oil companies first, then the surveying and cost benefit analysis is completed. Acquiring the lease was based on speculation, not because oil was actually found on the property.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/23/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

"But the oil industry says it pays millions of dollars for these leases, and that it would not make sense to purposely leave the areas untapped.

Rather, years of exploration is required before drilling can even begin. In some cases, no oil is found on leases they hold. In others, drilling the wells and building the pipelines takes years. It is especially hard now that a worldwide boom in oil exploration has pushed up the prices - and timelines - for skilled workers and specialized equipment.

"No one is sitting on leases these days," said Rayola Dougher, senior economic advisor for the American Petroleum Institute. "Those making those assertions don't understand the bidding and leasing process." "
Old 10-02-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

You and I don't always agree, Whell. And sometimes my humor, temper, or bluntness might sting a little. But you're alright for a righty. You and Pete. And Chas, but he bailed on us.

Dave

BEACH TIME! See ya later Fellas!
Thank you. No worries, and I think my skin can be pretty thick. The banter, though it may get a bit thick from time to time, is just the price of admission in a forum like this.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Area Man

You'e welcome.

But, make no mistakes, I'm still a left-wing whack-a-loon who wants decent basic healthcare to be as accessible, ubiquitous and available to all as the air we breathe, cost be damned.

Dave
Old 10-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
You'e welcome.

But, make no mistakes, I'm still a left-wing whack-a-loon who wants decent basic healthcare to be as accessible, ubiquitous and available to all as the air we breathe, cost be damned.

Dave
maybe you and whell should sit down and share a pot of tea?

me. I'm sticking with beer or wine!