Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Jigsawed

Battle of Gettysburgh July 1-3 1863 150yrs

C Span is giving a day by day account by three accomplished historians. Two more days to go.

Basically Lee is invading the North in the hope that Northerners lose their appetite for the war.

The Army of the Potomac has a new leader George Meade.

What is obvious after the first day is the strong defensive position of the Union forces.
The non attempt of Confederate General Ewell to take Cemetery Hill was regarded by historians as a greatly missed
opportunity.

Below is a concise Wiki day by day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_gettysburg

Last edited by Dondilion; 07-02-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Jigsawed

July 2 1863

The Union defense line is described as a fish hook.
Lee's plan is to attack in such a fashion as to make it difficult for the Union Army to shift forces from it right to left defences.

The plan is thwarted by its lack of timing and the forward position of Union Officer Sickles.

After 2 days of fierce fighting the Union is able to shift forces to weak areas within its defence "fish hook".

Lee intelligence is also impaired by the absence of the cavalry under Stuart.

Last edited by Dondilion; 07-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I've been to Gettysburg battlefield numerous times and am awestruck each time I go. I haven't been since they've torn the tower down and built the new visitor's center though. Equally mind-blowing (maybe even more so) is Antietam battlefield. Gettysburg remains the bloodiest battle ever fought in the western hemisphere and Antietam remains the single bloodiest day in American history. Both are about 45 minutes from where I live.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I've been to Gettysburg battlefield numerous times and am awestruck each time I go. I haven't been since they've torn the tower down and built the new visitor's center though. Equally mind-blowing (maybe even more so) is Antietam battlefield. Gettysburg remains the bloodiest battle ever fought in the western hemisphere and Antietam remains the single bloodiest day in American history. Both are about 45 minutes from where I live.
It is a shame.....I have not been there. I should plan for next year.

The civil war and the giant struggle between Germany and Russia in WW11 have always intrigued me.

Here are some reenactors. I guess they need a time machine.

http://rt.com/in-vision/150th-annive...le-gettysburg/
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post

The civil war and the giant struggle between Germany and Russia in WW11 have always intrigued me.

Here are some reenactors. I guess they need a time machine.

http://rt.com/in-vision/150th-annive...le-gettysburg/
I recommend this book very highly on the subject of the Civil War and its modern day reenactors (along with all other Tony Horwitz books, BTW). Great read.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
I recommend this book very highly on the subject of the Civil War and its modern day reenactors (along with all other Tony Horwitz books, BTW). Great read.
Thanks!

Many years ago I use to work among some Georgians who in their everyday life behave as if Sherman was around the corner.

Last edited by Dondilion; 07-03-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Jigsawed

July-3, 1863. The final day of this huge and pivotal battle.

After observing that Union lines were essentially intact Lee changed his plan.

He would attack the center of the left side of the hook.

First he let loose, what is regarded as the biggest employment of artillery in the war, on the said center.

The above was followed by a charge of 12,000+ Confederates, which though gallant failed because of heavy fire from the flanks and the Union artillery was still intact.

Jeb Stuart's cavalry was blunted by that of the Union which included an impulsive commander CUSTER.

After three days 57,000 casualties.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Same here, Pat. We went to both battlefields on the same day back in the early '70s. Somber and awestruck experiences. Chilling for a teenager wondering if Vietnam was in my near future.

Go Don, it is worth the trip and may I recommend doing it in the Fall during apple harvest time. Try the cider.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Just the thought of putting on some itchy wool uniform, and then living in a tent in some bug infested weed patch in the middle of July while eating hardtack is enough to make my skin crawl.

I was talking to one reenactor and he loved it. He had uniforms and all of the necessary equipment to be on either side.

He said around here he was generally a Southerner, but when he went South he was a Yankee because, "Nobody down there wants to be a Yankee."

A most likeable and entertaining fellow. That said, we certainly have two very separate definitions of fun.

Chas
Old 07-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Area Man

I remember the family stopping in at Gettysburg sometime in the late 60s/early '70s. So, I was very young and don't remember much about it. Well, besides the ghost that was following me around.....What was his problem?

Dave