Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Correct. Therefore, I believe that the phrase "In God We Trust" has become a "cultural icon", just like the Christmas tree. Therefore, there should be no objection to Georgia wishing to imprint a cultural icon on its license plates. If someone objects the the cultural icon on their license plate, why should tax payers be forced to foot the bill to cover up the icon? Let the individual who objects pay to cover it up.
My way nobody pays for anything other than a piece of metal with a number stamped on it.

But, if you want to get down to it, here in VA we have personalized plates. You can have mountains, a beach scene, military/patriotic regalia......there is a large assortment of themes to choose from, including religion base symbols and what-not. But you pay extra for it. And that is how it should be. I don't see why everyone should have to have someone elses superstitions, delusions or hobbies displayed on their plates, then have to pay to have it masked.

I'm thinking it's just another pathetic, immature effort on the part of some people to protect dying mythologies and press their beliefs on others.

Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ah yes, the wall that has writing by the wall writer on a wall built by public funds on public property?

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?"

(Quote enscribed on the Jefferson Memorial) (not bad eh? )

Pete
Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
It says In God We Trust on money? On monuments. Heck in this country it's everywhere.

Pete
And that problem can be corrected. Everywhere except on personal/private property. At that point is where you violate the "...impeding free excercise of religon..." part of the 1st.

Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
It is not a "cultural icon", it is a religious statement. If you want "In God We Trust" on your plates, buy a Sharpie and scrawl it on there.
Dave
Nope, sorry. The phrase officially became the national motto in 1956 and began appearing on paper currency in 1957. In fact, it was affirmed in the House earlier this month as the national motto by an overwhelming margin: only 9 "no" votes and 2 "abstain" votes.

Therefore, it is an icon of culture in this country. You don't want it on your license plate, you can get out a Sharpie and cross it out....right after you move to Georgia.

Last edited by whell; 11-30-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Area Man

"I can think of no society, ridden with priests, that did not end in tyranny."

"The wall of separation between church and state should remain high and impenetrable."

Both from Jefferson.

So, the words on his memorial are words originated from him. It's a quote on a grave, basically. That is not an indication that he believed his beliefs should be shove onto other people.

"It is of no concern to me, if my neighbor worships twenty Gods or none at all. It neither taxes my pocket, nor breaks my leg." ----also Jefferson

We can go on like this all day, Pete.

Why can't some people just come to grips with knowing they have no right to press their religion on others? Unless they are afraid it will eventually be invalidated by lack of popular demand?

Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Nope, sorry. The phrase officially became the national motto in 1956 and began appearing on paper currency in 1957. In fact, it was affirmed in the House earlier this month as the national motto by an overwhelming margin: only 9 "no" votes and 2 "abstain" votes.

Therefore, it is an icon of culture in this country. You don't want it on your license plate, you can get out a Sharpie and cross it out....right after you move to Georgia.
If it has become nothing more than a cultural icon, then religious people should object to the use of the phrase on license plates. The overuse of a religious phrase by government has deprived it of its religious meaning. It simply shows how intermingling religion and government perverts both of them.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Ahhhh, the 1950s. Interesting period. Some of our most interesting propaganda comes from that era, doesn't it? "Commies" in every closet and so on,.......oh, there's lots of it. Government sponsored conformity, followed by the counter-culture revolution of the 1960s. Action-reaction. Tyranny, followed by rebellion. Kind of like the rise of organized labor following the industrial revolution.

Last I heard, Church attendence continues to decline. How does that make you feel, Mike?

Personally, I couldn't care less if more people do go back to church. It's really none of my business, how others choose to worship. And as long as no one tries to make it my business, there will be no trouble.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-30-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
If it has become nothing more than a cultural icon, then religious people should object to the use of the phrase on license plates. The overuse of a religious phrase by government has deprived it of its religious meaning. It simply shows how intermingling religion and government perverts both of them.

Regards,

D-Ray
Excellent post. On AUs website, one of the Clergy who runs the organization, Rev. Barry Lynn* said, "Intertwining governent and religion reduces religion to politics and elevates politicians to the status of holymen."

One of my favorite quotes. In one sentence, it illustrates the evil of theocracy.

*AU is NOT an Atheist organization.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-30-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I enjoy pointing out that their actions don't support the current view, including Jeffersons

Pete
Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I also find the vehement opposition to occasional religious imagery or slogans to be tiresome and non-productive. We could debate the establishment clause all day but suffice to say that on this topic, like so many others, the polarization of views is doing more damage than otherwise.