Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Mahlers 2nd, a big mistake since I endured 12 performances in the late eighties, playing 3rd chair doubling on contrabassoon. Now I can't get the damned symphony out of my head. Billed at being 90 minutes long I believe it was only 83 minutes 17 seconds long. It was a blast for the first two rehearsals. Those 12 performances did not include the rehearsals. It is the first time I listened to it since the eighties.

The other hurdles I have to face is Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana". I was principal bassoonist for 20 performances, and the chamber orchestra version of Copland's "Appalachian Spring". Only one bassoonist in the chamber scoring. Lost count of performances.

Don't get me started on the time I spent in the off Broadway musical or opera pit orchestras. I had to smoke a lot of pot to do those. One time we got so ripped on grain alcohol that we had the best performance of the series. No chit, that is what the papers said. One clarinet player smoked cigars. I walked into the mens room during intermission and there was a pile of puke and a pile of shit behind it with a cigar butt stuck in it. There might have been a little blonde Lebanese hash and some Thai stick involved.

Don't even get me started on Don Giovanni. It involved broken legs.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM

The Jam
Setting Sons
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
Mahlers 2nd, a big mistake since I endured 12 performances in the late eighties, playing 3rd chair doubling on contrabassoon. Now I can't get the damned symphony out of my head. Billed at being 90 minutes long I believe it was only 83 minutes 17 seconds long. It was a blast for the first two rehearsals. Those 12 performances did not include the rehearsals. It is the first time I listened to it since the eighties.

The other hurdles I have to face is Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana". I was principal bassoonist for 20 performances, and the chamber orchestra version of Copland's "Appalachian Spring". Only one bassoonist in the chamber scoring. Lost count of performances.

Don't get me started on the time I spent in the off Broadway musical or opera pit orchestras. I had to smoke a lot of pot to do those. One time we got so ripped on grain alcohol that we had the best performance of the series. No chit, that is what the papers said. One clarinet player smoked cigars. I walked into the mens room during intermission and there was a pile of puke and a pile of shit behind it with a cigar butt stuck in it. There might have been a little blonde Lebanese hash and some Thai stick involved.

MmmmmMmm, Thai stick!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 AM

No Dice
Badfinger
Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Area Man

Shubert Piano Sonatas---Volodos

Regards,
Dave
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post

"One night, at band camp, I took my flute and shoved it up my............."

Wow. And we thought only rock stars partied like that? You Classical nerds are total party hounds too? Who knew?

Regards,
Dave
Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

The 2nd is quite possibly Mahler's best work. Carmina Burana have to laugh after attending a performance of it in Montreal, the Star's critic the next day blasted the audience for not laughing at the bit where the bird is roasting on the spit and singing, As if the average audience is expected to understand that vulgar latin .

Last edited by merrylander; 03-07-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Admin

The Essential Ten Years After
A Space in Time by Ten Years After
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Earlier: Atoms For Peace Amok
Now: Beck Sea Change
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Admin

The Last Waltz by The Band