Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
In my opinion FLRB child labor hours regulations are very lax.

Child labor daily work hour regulations (excluding agricultural and occupations banned for children under the age of 18):
  • Children under 14 years of age may not be employed in non-agricultural occupations covered by the FLSA. Permissible employment for such children is limited to work that is exempt from the FLSA (such as delivering newspapers to the consumer and acting).
  • Children ages 14 and 15 cannot work before 7 a.m. or after 9 p.m., more than eight hours a day or more than 40 hours a week.
  • Children ages 16 and 17 may be employed for unlimited hours in any occupation other than those declared hazardous by the Secretary of Labor
For 14 and 15 year olds, Federal law includes a number of other restrictions for hours of work when school is in session and limitations on the type of work that can be performed.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
For 14 and 15 year olds, Federal law includes a number of other restrictions for hours of work when school is in session and limitations on the type of work that can be performed.
Thanks Mike, i found the limit for 14 and 15 year olds during the school year on this DOL website. The details are listed in footnote b which I cut & pasted below:

Footnote b Students of 14 and 15 enrolled in approved Work Experience and Career Exploration programs may work during school hours up to 3 hours on a school day and 23 hours in a school week.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Problem is that kids lack knowledge and good judgment they need to negotiate risk on the job. Further, their immature judgement can make them exploitable...
...And yet the left wants to believe that they have sufficient "knowledge and good judgement" to be able to decide whether they want a penis when they are 11 years old.

What does science say about that?
Old 06-23-2023, 10:40 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
...And yet the left wants to believe that they have sufficient "knowledge and good judgement" to be able to decide whether they want a penis when they are 11 years old.

Science says to assess the child carefully, and if warranted, preserve the option for gender reassignment in the future.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post

Show me a direct, verified quote where a prominent Democratic politician has said that he/she believes that 11 year olds have sufficient knowledge and good judgment to be able to decide whether they want a penis.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:18 PM

Socalled 'Right To Work' Law Repealed in Michigan

Knowledge and judgement have little bearing on an individuals feeling of self which I believe is hard wired from birth.
Old 06-24-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Show me a direct, verified quote where a prominent Democratic politician has said that he/she believes that 11 year olds have sufficient knowledge and good judgment to be able to decide whether they want a penis.
How about a publication from HHS on "gender-affirming care" (which is a cute euphemism) which advocates that minors have access to things like hormone therapy, puberty blockers, and sex reassignment surgery. The HHS publication calls access to such services for minors "crucial".

Regarding the specific comment about 11-year-olds deciding if they want a penis, I don't think any smart politician of any stripe would go on record with something like that. There is no question, however, that minors have received such treatments up to and including surgical alteration. Given the current political climate and legal and legislative activism related to this topic, I suspect we'll see more and not less of minors receiving such treatments, and there's no solid research or evidence to suggest that, particularly sex reassignment surgery, is a good thing for children.
Old 06-24-2023, 05:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
How about a publication from HHS on "gender-affirming care" (which is a cute euphemism) which advocates that minors have access to things like hormone therapy, puberty blockers, and sex reassignment surgery. The HHS publication calls access to such services for minors "crucial".

Regarding the specific comment about 11-year-olds deciding if they want a penis, I don't think any smart politician of any stripe would go on record with something like that. There is no question, however, that minors have received such treatments up to and including surgical alteration. Given the current political climate and legal and legislative activism related to this topic, I suspect we'll see more and not less of minors receiving such treatments, and there's no solid research or evidence to suggest that, particularly sex reassignment surgery, is a good thing for children.
I was challenging the notion that it was the Democratic Party's official position that 11-year olds should be able to unilaterally seek and receive sex reassignment surgery. It isn't.

That said, I rather have parents and doctors involved in the decision than performative mean-spirited wingnut clowns like Ron DeSantis or Sarah Hillbilly Sanders. Like most cultural hot-button issues ginned up by the Right, this is very much a niche issue that will never touch the lives of anyone you know or will ever know. I suppose it's easier than honestly and effectively enacting meaningful legislation to address the significant major issues confronting the nation. Gotta fire up the rubes.
Old 06-24-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Like most cultural hot-button issues ginned up by the Right, this is very much a niche issue that will never touch the lives of anyone you know or will ever know. I suppose it's easier than honestly and effectively enacting meaningful legislation to address the significant major issues confronting the nation. Gotta fire up the rubes.
1) This was not an issue "ginned up" by the right.

2) It has touched the lives of people I know, so please keep your sanctimony to yourself.
Old 06-24-2023, 06:27 PM
Admin

Quote:
I was challenging the notion that it was the Democratic Party's official position that 11-year olds should be able to unilaterally seek and receive sex reassignment surgery. It isn't.

That said, I rather have parents and doctors involved in the decision than performative mean-spirited wingnut clowns like Ron DeSantis or Sarah Hillbilly Sanders. Like most cultural hot-button issues ginned up by the Right, this is very much a niche issue that will never touch the lives of anyone you know or will ever know. I suppose it's easier than honestly and effectively enacting meaningful legislation to address the significant major issues confronting the nation. Gotta fire up the rubes.
Exactly.