Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We had one like that, Miss Boucher, the art teacher.

Her replacement was Miss Ray, who proved that you can gain tenure even if you're totally insane. Not to mention a racist.

We didn't have that many black students, but she would lecture the class on the black race while they were present, use the N word, tell about how they would steal everything you owned and murder you in St. Louis.

Now we may be a bunch of peckerwoods, but at least we're civil peckerwoods.

Chas
Sounds like James Earl Ray's sister.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

Strange I had a Miss Ray from grades1 through 5 - it was a one room schoolhouse - and although she was strict she was fairness itself.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Ray James and Greg Mills, Public Affairs graduate instructors (Park University, Parkville, MO). I never had anyone particularly memorable teacher until them. Both, in their own way, blew my mind.

1. Selfless.
2. Engaged.
3. Things I'd never considered.

Beyond the wife who divorced me and the job that negatively impacted my psyche (cause and effect if there ever was one), Graduate School was intellectual release and my social crutch for stimulation. Oddly, the best and worst years of my life.

Beyond the degree, I'll always owe those instructors for showing up and making me think. Someday, I'd like to do that for someone else.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Sounds like James Earl Ray's sister.
Now that you mention it, James Earl Ray was the latest escapee from the Missouri State Penitentiary, at least whenever I worked there. And there were no more escapees right up to the day it closed.

Considering that NOBODY busted out of that place, and considering that the average con is going to get drunk, get laid, and stick up a 7-11 even if they do manage to bust out...

I've always found it suspicious that what HE did was go buy a scoped Remington .06, and then go shoot Martin Luther King.

Personally, I've always figured that he was allowed to escape if not to do the hit, to at least to take the fall.

I may be as wrong as two left feet, but by and large I have a pretty good bullshit detector.

And the official story smells like bullshit to me.

Chas
Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Area Man

In the 1960s there were powerful people who believed Dr. King jr. was a Communist agitator tryin' to stir up the "negroes". They had a pretty low opinion of the Kennedys too. Especially the ones who kept getting between Tricky Dick and the Whitehouse.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-08-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
In the 1960s there were powerful people who believed Dr. King jr. was a Communist agitator tryin' to stir up the "negroes". They had a pretty low opinion of the Kennedys too.

Dave
I can remember when MLK was shot. I was 14 at the time. I heard it on TV and yelled downstairs to my mother, born in Selma, AL in 1916. Her response? I hope they killed that son of a bitch.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I can remember when MLK was shot. I was 14 at the time. I heard it on TV and yelled downstairs to my mother, born in Selma, AL in 1916. Her response? I hope they killed that son of a bitch.
Yeah, there's nothing some white folks hate more than an "uppity ni**er", is there?

But, that has absolutely nothing to do with current events, mind you....................

Dave
Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Mr. Bridgwater, Chemistry 1 and 2 in high school. He helped us find out that learning does not have to be a stifling environment. We learned the period tables and Avogadro's number, and how to use a Bunsen burner, but I also remember playing ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition during lab.

Regards,

D-Ray
You had one of these as well......

My high school physics teacher was Mr Kent. He was a hippy in the late 60's and that stuck with him still to this day. We have America records playing while taking tests or doing labs. Test questions would be similar to "It's 1967 and I'm walking down the on ramp onto Interstate 70 to hitch hike to California, what is the frictional coefficient of the rubber of my shoe sole to........"

The teacher for me was my 5th & 6th grade teacher, Mrs Siemion. She was stern but fair and took no crap. You get out of line and it was out to the hall with the "board of education" She also taught responsibility. When homework was not complete you'd have to stand up in the class and tell her why. Most times the only acceptable answer was "I chose not to do it".

She was an outstanding teacher in every meaning of the word. Still respected by parents and students years later.

Last edited by Rex E.; 06-08-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling...doh
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Admin

I've been trying to come up with a teacher that I respected and was drawing a blank. Then I remembered young Ms. Kaiserling, a math teacher in Jr. High. She would shout and pound her fist on the desk when my classmates would be misbehaving. Rumour had it that she quit and became a stripper.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Area Man

Pauls post brought someone to mind.

Mr. Ed Sinchak was my tenth grade art teacher. He too was an old hippie....Well, he was in his 40s at the time, so...."old" to me. Anyhow, Mr. Sinchak often pretended to not know we were smoking weed in the supply room. This was all unwittingly done because it was believed that weed enhanced our artistic abilities.

To keep it short, we had an art show that year. When my old man saw the class exhibit, a ten foot tall purple Tyrannosaurus Rex, sporting mirrored shades, gold chains, a fedora with a large green feather and smoking a cigar named "Sweet Daddy T. Rex". He looked me right in the eye and said;

"Let me guess. It's reefer, isn't it?"

Dave