Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr15 View Post
Oddly enough this only transpires if its a cute cuddly white kid. Thousands of kids dissapear every year and you don't hear a peep.

FWIW I stopped calling it news years ago. As Eddie stated earlier its entertainment for profit. Cronkite must be rolling in his grave.
Yeah, well, white people-SOME of 'em, anyway- carry this Insufferably Cute Kid gene that attracts Dastardly Fiends...Blacks 'n' Orientals DON'T have it...(grin)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, well, white people-SOME of 'em, anyway- carry this Insufferably Cute Kid gene that attracts Dastardly Fiends...Blacks 'n' Orientals DON'T have it...(grin)
C'mon, Gary Coleman made a pretty good living being insufferably cute.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough this only transpires if its a cute cuddly white kid. Thousands of kids dissapear every year and you don't hear a peep.
I get hell for this all the time. Something bad happens to someone and it's news for weeks and weeks. Bad things happen to people every day. Why is it only news sometimes? Of course I do understand why, but it still bugs the hell out of me. I have to make the open to the show that says "news" on it.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Area Man

Quote:

FWIW I stopped calling it news years ago. As Eddie stated earlier its entertainment for profit. Cronkite must be rolling in his grave.
Or if it's an attractive young white woman from a wealthy, connected family, you hear about it for the next five years. I think we all know what that is, there's no reason to spell it out.

Problem is if the news included every single shocking crime that took place every single day it would be non-stop, 24/7, on every channel. And all of the "It didn't used ta be like this." idiots would be committing suicide or digging bunkers. Which is why I think the answer is to report such things less, not more often. Unfortunately the human race has always been depraved and violent. Sticking it in our faces a thousand times a day isn't going to help anything, it'll just drive us insane.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-05-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Yeah, its made me jaded & cynical about it all. Its kinda like, "Oh, God...Here it comes, the Latest 'n' Greatest "Disaster-Of-the-Week"... And I think the "All (Fill in the blank w/Latest Catastrophe's name), All the time" unquestionably leads to copycat crimes. But as long as we're sellin' Sham-Wows !, insurance, Fords, or burgers by the bushel, its OK...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Do the names JonBenet Ramsey and Natalee Holloway ring any bells? The coverage of these two girls' demise was despicable, to say the least. It cracks me up when the clowns who cover this shit refer to themselves as "journalists."
Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 PM

You know it's been a good day for humanity whenever the news consists of one journalist interviewing another.

No news is good news, always has been, always will be.

Chas
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Do the names JonBenet Ramsey and Natalee Holloway ring any bells? The coverage of these two girls' demise was despicable, to say the least. It cracks me up when the clowns who cover this shit refer to themselves as "journalists."
Yeah. I remember the picture of Jon-Benet's lifeless hand stickin' out from under the sheet when they carried her out...And I thought, My God...What have we come to ? This HAS to be the lowest...Little did I know, the jackals were just gettin' warmed up...
Old 03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

It sometimes bugs my wife that I don't pay attention to the sensational news of the week or or celebrity marriages or celebrity deaths. She even beat me to the sports page to learn more about some golfer's infidelity. And she is not an uneducated doofus. She has a BSN and supervises other nurses. She can analyze medical and psychological situations very well, and she reads more books than I do. She is learning about management (and I try to keep her on the right path in employee relations). Nevertheless, this intelligent educated woman reads People Magazine and keeps up with the more sensational news. Do the networks purposely direct their programming to the basest part of our nature?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
... this intelligent educated woman reads People Magazine and keeps up with the more sensational news. Do the networks purposely direct their programming to the basest part of our nature?

Regards,

D-Ray
I think you hit upon it indirectly, Don. Shows that normally attract the male demographic (news, sports) are doing what they can to also attract ladies' eyeballs. What else explains all the fluff included in the Olympic coverage as well as in the "news?"