Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Do the names JonBenet Ramsey and Natalee Holloway ring any bells?
It's those Natalee Holloway stories that I can't stand. Okay, let me say, I feel terrible, just terrible for her family. No one deserves that, no matter what they do. I'm earnest in that sentiment.

However, is it really news that a young girl went on a party binge and ended up dead? It's terrible, but it's not like she was a Peace Corps volunteer digging and out house in the Sudan and was abducted by militia members, raped and beaten to death.

Again, not saying "she deserved what she got" just saying, no need to paint her as the hapless victim. We had one of those locally- drunk girl on prom night decided to jump out of a moving Hummer limo. Lost her leg. Sad and all, but you know, not news. Just sad.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
And I think the "All (Fill in the blank w/Latest Catastrophe's name), All the time" unquestionably leads to copycat crimes.
The copycat part of this bugs me the most. Some complete loser who would have lived and died with no more than a ripple in his community can now be a nationally known figure. If Columbine had not been so extensively played up we wouldn't have had 50 more attempts at a repeat over the last 10 years.

BTW it's gotten to the point locally that a kid was expelled for drawing a picture of a gun, Which of course made all the "news".
Old 03-05-2010, 04:21 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Do the names JonBenet Ramsey and Natalee Holloway ring any bells? The coverage of these two girls' demise was despicable, to say the least. It cracks me up when the clowns who cover this shit refer to themselves as "journalists."
How about "Terry Schaivo", a tragic case to be sure. But the way the media pundits and politicians capitalized on that poor womans plight was utterly disgusting.

Dave
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Resident octogenarian

Ratings, ratings, it's all about ratings. That's why we get shows like "Entertainment Tonight" the National Enquirer of the airwaves, or how about Survivor, or American Idol, or Dancing with the stars.

But let a show start getting a little adult humour in it and it gets canned - anyone remember Hollywood Squares?

Last edited by merrylander; 03-05-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Ratings, ratings, it's all about ratings. That's why we get shows like "Entertainment Tonight" the National Enquirer of the airwaves, or how about Survivor, or American Idol, or Dancing with the stars.

But let a show start getting a little adult humour in it and it gets canned - anyone remember Hollywood Squares?
It's amazing, but I've never seen any of the shows you've mentioned. At least, not for longer than 30 seconds.

Chas
Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's amazing, but I've never seen any of the shows you've mentioned. At least, not for longer than 30 seconds.

Chas
neither have I, however (sadly) I know about them as I am pummeled by advertisements for them. Same with those spoiled Hollywood kids who make mega bucks showing their day to day excesses on TV.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 AM

I avoid 'em like the plague. Give me a channel that runs "Twilight Zone", "Outer Limits", "Lost in Space", "The Untouchables", "The Man From Uncle", etc, 24/7 & I'd be happy. NO westerns, No Soapoperas, no repeats of the 1970 Orange Bowl, NO JAYZUS!JAYZUS!JAYZUS!!, maybe the old 1940s Tex Avery MGM cartoons, The Stooges, the OLD Segar Popeye series....
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I avoid 'em like the plague. Give me a channel that runs "Twilight Zone", "Outer Limits", "Lost in Space", "The Untouchables", "The Man From Uncle", etc, 24/7 & I'd be happy. NO westerns, No Soapoperas, no repeats of the 1970 Orange Bowl, NO JAYZUS!JAYZUS!JAYZUS!!, maybe the old 1940s Tex Avery MGM cartoons, The Stooges, the OLD Segar Popeye series....
that's my idea of a tv station too
Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

There is one on Comcast here called RetroMax or summat like that, they run all the golden oldies. Then there is tonight and the Britcoms.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Oh, yeah...An' TOP GEAR !! Memo to Aunty Beeb...Quit waitin' half the dam year to send us NEW episodes... An' I'd LOVE to see a piano get dropped on one o' them new Krautish Rollses...Mbwahahahaha...