Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 AM

$50 a bulb??

So, no incandescent bulbs can be sold in the 100 watt and above range starting next year. The replacements? LED bulbs at a cost of $50 each!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/...9saXN0BHNsawNs

Talk about an government policy that pursues achieves its goals on the backs of the little guy, working family, poor, whatever...!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

Talk about an government policy that pursues achieves its goals on the backs of the little guy, working family, poor, whatever...!
not really, it simply causes us to value lighting more than we had previous
Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

We still have compact fluorescents. As for the LED bulbs, they too will be down to a couple of bucks in the future (this coming from a guy who spent $3,500 on a Pentium 133 computer with a 1.6 GB hard drive).

There will be a learning curve as well as the need for economies of scale to kick in. It does make sense, however, that Republicans seem wedded to the a technology that is 130 years old.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Actually LED lighting is one of our current projects with a client. That's what I SHOULD be doing right now instead of reading this board.

Here's the deal. CF bulbs suck. LED bulbs will EVENTUALLY win out. The problem is the type of wiring we have in our homes. BOTH technologies would benefit from DC distribution of power internal to the house. Trying to power a 6 or 10 Volt string of LEDs from AC line mains means that you have to have a "complicated" switching power supply in EVERY bulb! Clearly, a better scheme would be to centralize the AC/DC conversion and make simpler "bulbs" which have only the basic LEDs. Also would help to have DC wiring to incorporate power gained thru local wind/solar generation..
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Area Man

The first time I ever saw a CF bulb, it cost something like $15 per bulb.

And I don't understand why so many people hate them. My house is full of them now that they are cheaper. One outside has been burning 24/7 for three years now.

So what's the big deal?

Dave
Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The first time I ever saw a CF bulb, it cost something like $15 per bulb.

And I don't understand why so many people hate them. My house is full of them now that they are cheaper. One outside has been burning 24/7 for three years now.

So what's the big deal?

Dave
Ugly cold blue cast light. They have become much better than they once were. I hate tube lighting in stores because I'm sensitive to the 60Hz cycle rate. It is bad enough that I routinely leave the store if they have unfiltered fluorescent tubes. The CFLs are much better. I like Verilux full spectrum work or task lights, but much prefer incandescents for ambiance lighting.

Government regulation here is just another symptom of our overbearing goveernment. I'd much rather deal with the increased polution of a coal plant than the chemicals used in widespread CFL and LED light manufacture.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Area Man

So, really, it's a matter of personal preference. I have no problem with them. I've always regarded LEDs as having the weird bluish light.

I think people may even have a bigger issue with LEDs, if they must change the wiring in their homes to accommodate them. Although, that shouldn't be all that hard. Except when it comes to AC-120v driven appliances. Then what? An inverter at every standard appliance?

Dave
Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 PM

I wonder why the gov't didn't get serious about CAFE standards instead? How many MPGs better would the fleet have to achieve to equal the energy savings from these bulbs?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Perhaps a dual power system, ac from the street, a main converter for the lighting? AC travels better. Or perhaps a central light source with fiberoptics? I've heard of a 'light engine' before.

Also, AC is self cleaning, DC corrodes over time at the contacts - ask a tube guy Heck or a car guy So there'd have to be accomodation for that.

I'm waiting for the price to go down on LED floods, I've got 10 recessed light fixtures awaiting. But for $1100 I'm still waiting

Pete
Old 05-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

Everytime I am in Home Depot I stock up on incandescents, mainly Sylvania because they are still made here. CFLs bother my wife's eyes and since they are all made in China you know where you can stick them. LEDs won't be any better unless the rectify the AC and stop the 60 Hz blink. I wonder if they stop to think about people with epilepsy?