Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
So, as an "eco-whack" here, I guess it would be fair to describe you as a "gun nut" who just gets their rocks off by making a big noise and blowing something up with a rented howitzer. Strikes me as being more of an unresolved issue regarding feelings of impotence and inadequacy (possibly stemming from childhood), rather than any real concern about "freedom." Thanks for being honest. I'd have no problem with setting up areas where all the psychos and gun nuts can go and rent all the destructive power they want to play GI Joe for the afternoon. Go, have at it, get it out of your system. It'll probably make the world a safer place.
Should we address you as Dr. JonL?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
JonL:

And here's the rub. The Feds are NOT experts on every aspect of our daily lives. In fact, I don't want legislation on turkey written without input from the 1000s of experts out there providing the product everyday. So when you say "without undue influence from industry" -- it's trickier than you might think.. Do you really want an energy policy written without input from the big producers? If you do-- we need to live in separate countries..
Then there is no problem because Prince Dickie invited Enron, Exxon, Chevron, et. al. to the White House to write the last energy bill, So how do you like your $4 a gallon gasoline?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I'm not going to take sides with either faction here but this may explain why someone would want to protect themselves, even in a house of worship. The gulf between a group that believes one thing and another group that believes the opposite is growing ever wider. Who's to say that what we see in this video would not escalate in bodily harm to the people praying at some point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp0oMKGFTyk
Were the Christians pushing for a confrontation? I can't think of any other reason for them to hold a well organised prayer meeting on the steps of a Church in an area that they knew would attract people opposed to what they were doing. It's an age old practice no matter what the cause. Film it in such a way that the protesters look in the wrong. Prime time TV shows an innocent boy saying his prayers while being spat on by a protestor. Free publicity; all it costs is the price of a blank video tape. Hell, they might even make a profit from broadcast rights.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Should we address you as Dr. JonL?
How about Dr. John the Night Tripper?

I hope it was obvious that I was (over)reacting to the "eco-whack" moniker.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Actually BlueStreak:

Quote:
Perhaps you would rather have your turkey produced, warehoused and delivered to you in the cheapest possible manner? And, no, I don't trust UL or Consumer Reports anymore than I trust government regulators. Are they really any less corruptible? You may think so, but I don't.
I never buy the cheapest ANYTHING. Learned that from a penny-pinching dad who would buy 12 sponges for a dollar and use one a day because they fell apart. Or who bought the cheaper tires and had them blow out at the rims. That's a choice. Thank God.

If I were king -- I'd have the National Guard blow up every Dollar Store in the country. (Just Kidding.. Seriously,,, just kidding)

And before you accuse me of being insensitive to the realities of poorer folk who can't afford the "better", that's what WalMart is about. (YES FOLKS -- I brought up WalMart in a forum on religion) They will not sacrifice ALL the value in everything they sell. They can't afford to piss-off their clientele. But when it comes to offering the lowest possible price -- they balance their "responsibility" to the customers EQUALLY with the return to the stockholders. Because even tho some of my new buds here won't admit it, you can't offer bundles of returns to the stockholders while you repeatedly rape your customer base..
Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM

OK JonL:

Truce.. I reserve the eco-whack moniker for only the hardest cases. I guess when I weigh all the bad effects of govt/corp collusion against a pretty wimpy MINIMAL description of what turkey is --- I'd rather the govt stick to FOOD SAFETY in general and NOT try to define every item I encounter during the day. I have plenty of choices, plenty of 3rd party knowledge and support and somehow I manage to avoid setting myself on fire every day without reading the Federal Register.

Once you allow the FEDS to get to that level of detail, it's IMPOSSIBLE to not invite corporate meddling.

Take energy for example. A little more complicated than a turkey sandwich. Can you define an energy policy (MerryLander you copy?) without knowing what's in the laboratories of all the GIANT corporations around the world? Not an intelligient one.

So you ask for input, fund some development. But now you're already knee-deep in proprietary non-disclosures and preventing the leakage of corporate secrets you might have been asked to keep. How the heck can you NOT expect collusion?

The Fed can cajole, cheerlead, inform, and regulate. They are NOT good at picking market winners/losers or innovation....
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
...somehow I manage to avoid setting myself on fire every day without reading the Federal Register.
ROTFLMAO that's hilarious!!

Pete
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Actually BlueStreak:

I never buy the cheapest ANYTHING. Learned that from a penny-pinching dad who would buy 12 sponges for a dollar and use one a day because they fell apart. Or who bought the cheaper tires and had them blow out at the rims. That's a choice. Thank God.

If I were king -- I'd have the National Guard blow up every Dollar Store in the country. (Just Kidding.. Seriously,,, just kidding)

And before you accuse me of being insensitive to the realities of poorer folk who can't afford the "better", that's what WalMart is about. (YES FOLKS -- I brought up WalMart in a forum on religion) They will not sacrifice ALL the value in everything they sell. They can't afford to piss-off their clientele. But when it comes to offering the lowest possible price -- they balance their "responsibility" to the customers EQUALLY with the return to the stockholders. Because even tho some of my new buds here won't admit it, you can't offer bundles of returns to the stockholders while you repeatedly rape your customer base..
I think that neither the free marketeers nor the proponents of regulation can expect to be absolutists. There can be no denying that the market influences corporate behavior, but we have seen evidence of the abuses that can occur when there is no regulation.

Accepting that market forces have some influence doesn't mean that keeping the customer satisfied will cure all instances of corporate abuse. I imagine that there was a time when department stores did not want to use African American store clerks because some customers would be offended (I can remember a store manager ditching the application of an African American lady I recommended after I interviewed her). You can be damn sure that Walmart would pay below the minimum wage if they could get away with it. Companies can also keep their customers satisfied by offering lower prices, even if those lower prices result in the community having to ultimately pay the price for environmentally unsound manufacturing methods.

The "invisible hand" just ain't quite strong enough.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM

Piece-ItPete:

Anyone who feels safer because the USDA says that turkey ravioli has to have a minimum of 2% turkey meat, but your frozen turkey dinner has to have a full 2 ounces of turkey meat, needs to worry about spontaneously bursting into flames...
Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
OK JonL:

Truce.. I reserve the eco-whack moniker for only the hardest cases. I guess when I weigh all the bad effects of govt/corp collusion against a pretty wimpy MINIMAL description of what turkey is --- I'd rather the govt stick to FOOD SAFETY in general and NOT try to define every item I encounter during the day. I have plenty of choices, plenty of 3rd party knowledge and support and somehow I manage to avoid setting myself on fire every day without reading the Federal Register.

Once you allow the FEDS to get to that level of detail, it's IMPOSSIBLE to not invite corporate meddling.

Take energy for example. A little more complicated than a turkey sandwich. Can you define an energy policy (MerryLander you copy?) without knowing what's in the laboratories of all the GIANT corporations around the world? Not an intelligient one.

So you ask for input, fund some development. But now you're already knee-deep in proprietary non-disclosures and preventing the leakage of corporate secrets you might have been asked to keep. How the heck can you NOT expect collusion?

The Fed can cajole, cheerlead, inform, and regulate. They are NOT good at picking market winners/losers or innovation....
I am not suggesting picking winners, so what is sensible about the Fed giving big oil tax breaks for expoiting our oil? You and I (well at least I) kow damn well that lobbyist get to write and re-write legislation to suit the interests of the corporations. Why else does the income tax act have more than twice as many words as the Bible?

We all know, or bloody well should knoe, that when the Supremes legalized bribery we started down the road to hell.

All I know is that where I came from there are regulations designed to protect the public. Energy rates are less than half ours. People have universal healthcare, aged people are looked after and taxes are roughly the same as here. So where did we screw up?