Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
I get a really bad feeling about this.. Market is diving like crazy.. Helmets and flak jackets NOW..

It really is that every sector of the economy is hurting from legislative uncertainty. This last minute budgeting and tax policy is arrogant and irresponsible. Want to invest in energy? Nawww. How about healthcare? You NUTS? Well then maybe banking.. No thanks. GM/Chrysler? Can't it's gonna crash when the govt sells. Overpriced Tech stocks like LinkedIn? No way..
Here in San Diego, the malaise resonates throughout the once bustling area. Traffic has been noticeably less than pre-2009. The business people, that I talk to, are significantly down in sales and desperately trying to keep their employees. Small businesses that can operate out of a home office have done so. Of course, our cost of living has also significantly increased. A single bedroom apartment with, say, 800 square feet rents for $1100-1500 a month. No one wants to spend with the exception of the government, but that can't continue forever. IMO, you are quite correct in the assertion that the Obama Adminiistration and Congress have caused the malaise by their policies that engendered the uncertainty throughout, not only our economic system, but also, the international community. Sadly, I have no faith in the current leadership's abiltity to change course.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
You know JJ there was a day when American businessmen had some cojones, now they are just a bunch of wusses. They sit around and moan all day while foreign companies come here and eat their lunch. The only reason they manage to survive is by heading for China and India for slave labor. Meanwhile an Indian call center moved over here because the owner said Indian wages were too high. Shows you the direction in which we are heading. Pretty soon we will have WallyWorld move back because we will be dirt cheap employees.
Precisely.

Dave
Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
It's...um....Saturday.
During the week?

The only time you see me here is during non-work hours. I NEVER have time when I'm at work.

Dave
Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Here in San Diego, the malaise resonates throughout the once bustling area. Traffic has been noticeably less than pre-2009. The business people, that I talk to, are significantly down in sales and desperately trying to keep their employees. Small businesses that can operate out of a home office have done so. Of course, our cost of living has also significantly increased. A single bedroom apartment with, say, 800 square feet rents for $1100-1500 a month. No one wants to spend with the exception of the government, but that can't continue forever. IMO, you are quite correct in the assertion that the Obama Adminiistration and Congress have caused the malaise by their policies that engendered the uncertainty throughout, not only our economic system, but also, the international community. Sadly, I have no faith in the current leadership's abiltity to change course.
Ooooo, I'm so uncertain...... Oooo, the scary black man is frightening me...
I just can't deal with it, it's tooooo haaaaaard! Mommy, I want my mommy! The mean Liberals are kicking my pansy ass again......I'm scared......

Pussies.

Dave
Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
During the week?

The only time you see me here is during non-work hours. I NEVER have time when I'm at work.

Dave
Well, since I work from home and have a bit of flex in my schedule, our situations may be a bit different.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Ooooo, I'm so uncertain...... Oooo, the scary black man is frightening me...
I just can't deal with it, it's tooooo haaaaaard! Mommy, I want my mommy! The mean Liberals are kicking my pansy ass again......I'm scared......

Pussies.

Dave
Some on this forum do have some interesting misconceptions about how the world operates.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Dave:

If you're not just a little bit scared right now by the circus in media while Rome burns and the Stock Market melts, and manufacturing disappears, and people get desperate for jobs and means of support --- then maybe you have a little too much faith in Wash D.C. to restore all those things.

When it comes right down to it -- there's increasingly LITTLE a Prez can do to fix those things. But there's a much larger list of things he can do to make it worse. It's the army of bureaucrats and the Tax Cheat Treas secretary, and the mystery men at the Fed, that are spinning the wheels in the ditch and getting stuck up to the frame.

Especially bad is that you CAN'T lower taxes any more (yes I a libertarian said that), and you can't play with interest rates (because that bird has flown) and very soon, even with the debt ceiling kicked higher, you won't be able to find buyers for the debt we're generating by the trainload.

I'm telling ya Dave, I'm sure your Dad told you a lot about the Depression. We may get to have the same character building experience in the next 2 years or so... The next major crisis to hit is the state pensions. THEY are underfunded to tune of about $2Trill. So when THEY ask for bailouts and are refused, you're very likely to see them start dumping stocks and mutuals to stay solvent. THAT'S the next crash on Wall Street if the economy doesn't pick up and float them thru the crisis caused by states STEALING out of "trust funds".. Hasn't been a govt trust fund in my lifetime that wasn't totally EMPTIED and wasted by the govt. And I'm afraid we're gonna pay for that soon...
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Sorry to be a bummer guys.. I don't drink much, but tonight I'll have to get the step ladder out and see what's up in the liquor locker.. It's old so it ought to be good..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Area Man

I have no faith in anyone, anymore, beyond family, Flac. And some of them are kinda shaky.

Least of all your beloved Wall Street pirates.
I believe they would stand idly by and watch us all starve to death before they would lift a finger. Until there's a buck in it for them, of course.

And, Oh, yes he did.

Here's one for ya.

He and his brothers once had to fight a railroad yard Bull.

Why?

Because it was January and they lived in St. Louis, Minnesota just west of
Duluth. It was a particularly brutal winter. The wood they cut in the fall was gone and any they cut anew wouldn't be seasoned soon enough. So, after they had burned all of the furniture, they took pillowcases and jumped the fence at the local steel plant. Started filling up the pillow cases with coal from the trains. A "Bull" caught them. Lucky for them there were three of them and one of him. 'Cuz when he whacked my Uncle Harold in the head with his nightstick, they jumped him and beat his ass, then ran. They were teenagers.

Nice, Huh?

It kills me that I know people who can't conceive of it getting that bad.

My other Uncle, Robert, died in 1992 at 76. His Sister, her husband and my cousins searched his property...........for money. In the toilet tank, in the walls, under the carpet, in jars buried in the yard and in the flower beds in his greenhouse, (He was a florist. Retired Navy and ironically, he had retired as a maintenance supervisor from that same steel plant.) they found almost $300,000 in cash. He had no bank accounts, and no investments.

One quote I recall from him;
"Bankers don't get rich by throwing money around. They get rich by keeping it. And they'll never get any of mine."

These are the things I know about the "Great Depression". The way the folks that survived it didn't trust Wall Street, or banks, "....any farther than you can throw them."

Keep on trusting "Bankers" and the "Corporate World". You think any of those "Masters of the Universe" will be around to ladle out the soup when the shit hits the fan? Nope, they just send the Sheriff around to toss you out on your ass when you stop paying your bills.

That's what I learned from the elders in my family.

It's just as foolish as trusting the government. Actually, nowadays, I'd surmise the two are becoming one and the same. They have us by the nuts, and they feel they have been far too permissive with us.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-11-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Some on this forum do have some interesting misconceptions about how the world operates.
You sure do.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-11-2011 at 10:55 PM.