Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Ready

It's amazing how powerful stories are. Slavery and the war over it are 150 years in the past, but folks are completely ready to get fussed and shitty over the story to be told about it.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Jigsawed

However there is no denying despite 150 years, there is a strong oral
history influencing this behavior.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Ready

That's what I said. Oral history = stories. I was just marveling at the 'strongness' you mention.

It's a matter of identity, I suppose. People often get very defensive about their identity, and are willing to believe and say odd things to support it. Others will feel motivated to attack the oddness, since it's always fun to kick around the the people OUR stories say are wrong. And so it goes.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM

Slavery and an economic system that valued people based on the color of their skin was wrong, and still is wrong.

That confederate flag was a war flag from its inception, and to me anyone who flies it proudly represents a war status and actively supports secession against the Union(still.)

If these people are so set on celebrating their heritage, let them fly their 1861 state flag, or the first Confederate States flag, and not the war flag. The war flag has a completely different set of meanings, and none of them are well received by Northerners, or descendants of former slaves.

http://www.anyflag.com/history/confeder.htm

Last edited by sheltiedave; 08-02-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
Slavery and an economic system that valued people based on the color of their skin was wrong, and still is wrong.

That confederate flag was a war flag from its inception, and to me anyone who flies it proudly represents a war status and actively supports secession against the Union(still.)

If these people are so set on celebrating their heritage, let them fly their 1861 state flag, or the first Confederate States flag, and not the war flag. The war flag has a completely different set of meanings, and none of them are well received by Northerners, or descendants of former slaves.

http://www.anyflag.com/history/confeder.htm
There is some logic to what you say, but you can't beat stories with logic. The fact that the battle flag offends who it offends is one of the things these guys really like about it.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Some jagoffs thought it a good idea to fly a 22x30' Confederate flag on private land right next to I-95 near Fredericksburg, VA. While I understand freedom of expression and property rights, this seems to me to be a deliberate provocation to me by a bunch of Lost Cause @ssholes.
There's been a big assed one flying next to I-75 near Tampa for a couple of years. Plus another one flying next to US 27 near Orlando.

I'm thing about getting myself a good quality commercial grade pipe cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bneviIHiIKs
Old 08-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Ready

Appears that tool does the job, when well-oiled....
Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
That's what I said. Oral history = stories. I was just marveling at the 'strongness' you mention.
For instance some see Sherman as the devil incarnate and have an ingrain antipathy for people they view as yankee.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
There's been a big assed one flying next to I-75 near Tampa for a couple of years. Plus another one flying next to US 27 near Orlando.

I'm thing about getting myself a good quality commercial grade pipe cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bneviIHiIKs
Haw, I've got one of those in the garage.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
For instance some see Sherman as the devil incarnate and have an ingrain antipathy for people they view as yankee.
So the stories teach. Apparently people have the ability to pass down such emotion for many generations. It creates what are called 'hereditary enemies,' though it's inherited verbally, not biologically.