Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Invention Ideas -- Let's hear them

Anyone have an idea for an invention but does not know how to get it done? Let's hear it. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised that someone knows how to build what you envision.

My idea for an invention is a quiet city. What I do not know how to do is make being quiet a cool thing to do. There must be a way. We have figured out all kinds of inventions that make things louder and/or more noticeable than the things before them. But how to unwind that tension?

The best that I can do is envision a movie or TV show that shows Harley bikers making fun of loud motorcycles. That is the power of speech and copyright.

I will say up front that I am hunting for something. I am wondering if instead of more inventions we need a review of patent laws that have dealt with unwinding undesirable effects of inventing. Someone knows how to do this.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
... I will say up front that I am hunting for something. I am wondering if instead of more inventions we need a review of patent laws that have dealt with unwinding undesirable effects of inventing. Someone knows how to do this.
Note to self. It might help to modify patent applications so that they include inventors foresights as to what problems their inventions may introduce. As far as I know our patent laws have only required inventors to teach the best uses of their stuff. They have never been pushed to say what might go wrong.

We need to teach away from the notion that no one can envision consequences in a marketplace. After all, inventors and marketers routinely express doubts and frustrations on bar stools. We need an open door policy on foresight, and I think more thorough teaching in patent applications is a good start in the negative direction.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Ready

I want glasses with lights on them that illuminate what you're looking at. They track your eyeballs to know what you're looking at, and they steer at it. They sense ambient light from the target, and add light as necessary.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:28 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I want glasses with lights on them that illuminate what you're looking at. They track your eyeballs to know what you're looking at, and they steer at it. They sense ambient light from the target, and add light as necessary.
Something sort of like this, only more "user friendly"?

"One of the most recognizable features of the Apache is its helmet mounted display or Integrated Helmet and Display, Sighting System (IHADSS); the pilot or gunner aims the helicopter’s 30 mm M230 machine gun with eye movements."

http://www.industrytap.com/apache-he...aterback/16498

Not quite what you're looking for, but a step in that direction.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Try your local yarn and sewing shop. There are several devices that attach to glasses or your head that illuminate and/or magnify.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Ready

Yes, I know that tracking eye movement is done, to study what people look at in, for example, supermarkets. Don't know if the technology can be made small and automatic enough for the application I was thinking of. Yet.

The idea was to make the lighting system small and low power, but have what you wanted to see illuminated.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Hilarious.

I can't help but envision what one would do with such an invention. The "crowbar" electrical circuit of yore comes to mind, but this iteration deals with information instead of electrons.

JJIII made me reminisce about when we went through the phase of having automobile headlamps that illuminate corners as we turn into them. For those that don't recall the excitement of the period, US Patent 4,024,388 provides some insight.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:42 PM

The Citroen DS had those.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
The Citroen DS had those.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
So did the Tucker Torpedo.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:18 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

The 1956 Bristol auto had a single light in the center of the grill that turned. My brother owned one for a while. Sweet car.

Last edited by JJIII; 05-08-2016 at 08:21 AM.