Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:01 PM

I have mixed feeling about this story and having never been faced with the horrific events. Have only an outsiders view at best.

The soldiers on both sides of a conflict in the act of doing their duty can commit acts of extreme violence and or cruelty. Epically when it is viewed from the other side. Or by others who never served.

The feelings an American feels when seeing one of our own soldiers being injured is not an isolated one. Do not the same feelings effect the other side too? Then also if this country were to be invaded by a superior invader would not the populace use any and all weapons and means to fight back? Proudly willing and bravely, all ages and sex. Not cowardly, unexpected or anything unusual in this. They just the use the weapons that are on hand.

Face it War is not a pretty or humane endeavor, never was or will be. The ""John Wayne"" mythology is a strong one. Will always sell and make one feel good. Should be seen as such.

Barney
Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 PM

The Marine sniper who blew the roll of toilet paper out of the kid's hand understands military/hostile engagement. You don't need to kill someone for it to be a GOOD SHOT.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 AM
Resident octogenarian

To be realistic the days when soldiers wore brightly colored uniforms and faced off standing in long rows is over. War is about as close to hell on earth as we are ever going to get. The Marquis of Queensbury has been dead a long, long time.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:07 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I have mixed feeling about this story and having never been faced with the horrific events. Have only an outsiders view at best.

The soldiers on both sides of a conflict in the act of doing their duty can commit acts of extreme violence and or cruelty. Epically when it is viewed from the other side. Or by others who never served.

The feelings an American feels when seeing one of our own soldiers being injured is not an isolated one. Do not the same feelings effect the other side too? Then also if this country were to be invaded by a superior invader would not the populace use any and all weapons and means to fight back? Proudly willing and bravely, all ages and sex. Not cowardly, unexpected or anything unusual in this. They just the use the weapons that are on hand.

Face it War is not a pretty or humane endeavor, never was or will be. The ""John Wayne"" mythology is a strong one. Will always sell and make one feel good. Should be seen as such.

Barney
Precisely, Barney. +1

Dave
Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Jigsawed

Having been more informed about the real sniper I can better appreciate the
attitude of the reviewer. However I still believe he was expecting too much from Clint Eastwood.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Admin

Since Clint Eastwood did 'Flags of Our Fathers' followed by 'Letters from Iwo Jima', does this mean he's going to follow up this one with a movie from the Iraqi perspective?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Since Clint Eastwood did 'Flags of Our Fathers' followed by 'Letters from Iwo Jima', does this mean he's going to follow up this one with a movie from the Iraqi perspective?
That I might pay to see!

Barney
Old 01-26-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw both of these movies but I can't remember a thing about "Flags". "Letters", on the other hand, I recall vividly. Maybe that's because there's more pathos when you view a battle from the perspective of the loser or maybe it's just the result of Ken Watanabe's very powerful performance.

He's really a terrific actor. As far as I'm concerned, he was the only good thing about "The Last Samurai" and "Inception".

I don't think Eastwood, or anyone else in Hollywood, would dare to make a film that was in any degree sympathetic to the Iraqi people. It's still too controversial and, in fact, still going on.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 01-26-2015 at 01:28 PM.