Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:17 AM

Specifically, what is the origin and nature of this "God" concept, and what makes your version paramount over others?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Specifically, what is the origin and nature of this "God" concept, and what makes your version paramount over others?
In my case it would be my personal relationship with Him. He's actually spoken (actual words) to my wife. We also have two miraculous healings. He's also guided our lives in amazing ways, though I would not call them "miracles" because they don't defy the laws of physics.

Also, when you've lived with someone long enough, you know what to expect from them. And yes, I'm speaking of Christ. He's faithful and his words ring true at every turn.

Keep in mind he gets a lot of grief for things done in his name by others, that are actually going against his instructions. He also is the only entity in human history that offers grace. This deals not only with the afterlife, but everyone's life starting NOW, whenever now may be, or may have been.

One of my acts of faith is that we have not had health insurance since the day the mandate became the law of the land. And how has that worked out for these two 66 year olds? Well, for starters, we've saved over $100,000 after taxes in health insurance premiums, while spending a pittance on actual health care, most of which is glasses and eye exams at costco and dental exams/cleaning. We take no prescription drugs and completely trust the Great Healer for our health as well as taking care of the temples (our human bodies) he's put us in for our limited time on earth.

We have total faith in him and he has proven, on a daily basis, to be worthy of that faith.

In this is a hint at why I never get angry with posts here. People are people. Being a man, I know the heart of man. Everybody is an a$$hole to SOMEONE. Heck, the only perfect man to live ticked off so many people they hung him on a cross.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
In my case it would be my personal relationship with Him. He's actually spoken (actual words) to my wife. We also have two miraculous healings. He's also guided our lives in amazing ways, though I would not call them "miracles" because they don't defy the laws of physics.

Also, when you've lived with someone long enough, you know what to expect from them. And yes, I'm speaking of Christ. He's faithful and his words ring true at every turn.

Keep in mind he gets a lot of grief for things done in his name by others, that are actually going against his instructions. He also is the only entity in human history that offers grace. This deals not only with the afterlife, but everyone's life starting NOW, whenever now may be, or may have been.

One of my acts of faith is that we have not had health insurance since the day the mandate became the law of the land. And how has that worked out for these two 66 year olds? Well, for starters, we've saved over $100,000 after taxes in health insurance premiums, while spending a pittance on actual health care, most of which is glasses and eye exams at costco and dental exams/cleaning. We take no prescription drugs and completely trust the Great Healer for our health as well as taking care of the temples (our human bodies) he's put us in for our limited time on earth.

We have total faith in him and he has proven, on a daily basis, to be worthy of that faith.

In this is a hint at why I never get angry with posts here. People are people. Being a man, I know the heart of man. Everybody is an a$$hole to SOMEONE. Heck, the only perfect man to live ticked off so many people they hung him on a cross.
This is a testimony of faith (faith being belief without proof of factual veracity) that answers neither question.
What, precisely, is the origin and the nature of this (or any) God concept?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:58 PM

I would recommend The Elements of Moral Philosphy by James Rachels. It is a fairly quick read and clearly explains the short comings of most(maybe all) moral and ethical systems. It certainly can broaden your personal perspective on how people think and how your personal beliefs compare to the rest of society.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...8d75950c18bc7b

I haven't tried the download, I hope it works.

A pet pieve of mine, people who think agnostics or athiests have less dedication, less morals, less ethics than religious people. In fact, I have frequently found that to be the opposite.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:04 AM
Ready

Hannah Arendt Explains How Propaganda Uses Lies to Erode All Truth & Morality: Insights from The Origins of Totalitarianism https://www.openculture.com/2017/01/...RyssGOFlt0WR8o

I point out that this thread was started by a poster notable for his strong and clever use of propaganda material.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:37 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
I'll invoke Matthew 7:6 in your case.
Your supercilious 'pearls before swine' reply indicates tacit agreement with my apples/oranges point.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
This is a testimony of faith (faith being belief without proof of factual veracity) that answers neither question.
What, precisely, is the origin and the nature of this (or any) God concept?
Nice point.

The Holy Bible and a lifetime of constant conditioning is the foundation of his unassailable faith.

The answer to your question is man's need to explain the unknown.

Last edited by nailer; 10-17-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Hannah Arendt Explains How Propaganda Uses Lies to Erode All Truth & Morality: Insights from The Origins of Totalitarianism https://www.openculture.com/2017/01/...RyssGOFlt0WR8o

I point out that this thread was started by a poster notable for his strong and clever use of propaganda material.
Effective on the weak of mind.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:02 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post

A pet pieve of mine, people who think agnostics or athiests have less dedication, less morals, less ethics than religious people. In fact, I have frequently found that to be the opposite.
Possibly due to the fact that as long as they have accepted Christ into their lives many of those religious folk feel they can act however they choose and all they have to do is pray and they will be forgiven. Those that don't have that moral luxury actually have to live with the internal consequences of their actions.

I think a large part of that problem is that many Christians think that belief is acceptance. I feel that true acceptance would also include a practice of trying to emulate the way Christ lived his life, not just in deed, but in thought. That brings a lot of questions to mind. How would Christ have treated gays? Impoverished? Criminals? Those that disagreed with him? Alcoholics? Those with mental issues? etc, etc, etc...

Some Christians actually try to live that way, but in my experience it is a huge minority? Even those that do great in action fail horribly in the thought arena.